Phone reset itself completely

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
So I go to use my phone a short while ago, when it rebooted as I was using it, and then stuck on a weird boot screen - a circle with a picture of the phone and a down arrow in the middle. It hung on this screen for a good 3 minutes or so, then rebooted a couple times, went to the red Verizon screen, and then launched the initial setup wizard.

My phone literally reset itself to factory defaults. I lost all my settings which I've customized over the last couple weeks.

What a POS. I'm so pissed off right now.

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I haven't installed an app for about a week, and I can't remember. I don't have very many. Mainly apps like Digg, AmEx, BofA, etc. - which I installed right after I got the phone. If installing an App from Google Play on an Android device can make the entire phone wipe itself out, losing all my customizations, then this phone can eat my (edited by Moderator) .

Last edited by a moderator:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'd be ticked too. I hate having to setup a phone again after I have everything the way I like it.

I haven't heard of this issue so maybe you got a bad unit. I'd exchange it.

Also, I do a factory reset a soon as I get a new phone, so you may want to try that when you get your new one.

Posted via Android Central App

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Frankly, I don't have time for this. My phone is a tool, not a toy, and if I'm swapping it out, unfortunately, I'll head back to Apple. I really love the phone, you can read my review, but this made me want to take a hammer to it.

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to restore any settings from my Google Play account? Anything? I told it to back stuff up when I added my Google accounts, but it doesn't seem like anything restored.. I know when I get a new iPhone it was seamless and I could restore from a backup.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to restore any settings from my Google Play account? Anything? I told it to back stuff up when I added my Google accounts, but it doesn't seem like anything restored.. I know when I get a new iPhone it was seamless and I could restore from a backup.

If you set it up during the initial setup, there is an option for a Htc backup that runs daily and stores to your Google Drive acct. you can use that to restore from if you have it. The only other restore is from your Google acct and only restores apps that you have downloaded.

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
If you set it up during the initial setup, there is an option for a Htc backup that runs daily and stores to your Google Drive acct. you can use that to restore from if you have it. The only other restore is from your Google acct and only restores apps that you have downloaded.

I didn't. I don't suppose Google may consider it to be a good idea to actually implement some sort of backup solution. It would seem logical, but I guess not. Whatever.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I didn't. I don't suppose Google may consider it to be a good idea to actually implement some sort of backup solution. It would seem logical, but I guess not. Whatever.

The backup setup is part of the initial setup process and you may have done it without realizing what it was at the time. That is unless you purposely skipped it. It's worth checking to see if you have the backup, it's really a seamless process and you wouldn't even know it backed up unless you checked. Here's a link that explains it.
HTC One (M8) Support - Using HTC Backup | HTC United States

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
The backup setup is part of the initial setup process and you may have done it without realizing what it was at the time. That is unless you purposely skipped it. It's worth checking to see if you have the backup, it's really a seamless process and you wouldn't even know it backed up unless you checked. Here's a link that explains it.
HTC One (M8) Support - Using HTC Backup | HTC United States

I'm assuming it would show on my Google Drive, which it doesn't, and I remember disabling some sort of cloud backup options in the app manager.

Appreciate the link though.

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I get halfway through setting stuff back up, and Verizon Caller Name ID won't load. It sits and has a circle spinning. Rebooting, etc. won't make it load. It sits forever thinking about loading.

Yep, I'm done with this piece of (edited by Moderator) .

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I get halfway through setting stuff back up, and Verizon Caller Name ID won't load. It sits and has a circle spinning. Rebooting, etc. won't make it load. It sits forever thinking about loading.

Yep, I'm done with this piece of (edited by Moderator) .

You have a bad phone, but it sounds like Android is not really for you right now. It's too bad the HTC made such a bad impression for you. It's actually a really good phone, like the other flagships that are out right now.

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
You have a bad phone, but it sounds like Android is not really for you right now. It's too bad the HTC made such a bad impression for you. It's actually a really good phone, like the other flagships that are out right now.

Oh it made a great impression. I think going back to the iPhone will be a step back in terms of hardware. It's too bad such a great phone is saddled with such a piece of crap operating system.

I just did a full reset on the phone and Caller Name ID will STILL not load. It's too bad that I have to pay $3 a month for a Verizon app because Android can't report something so simple as the city and state of an incoming phone call, and the damn app won't even load in order to do so.

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Eh. Even Verizon can't figure it out. "But you have caller ID." No, really? You make me pay $3 a month to see the city and state of incoming callers on this phone, which was free on my previous phone, and you can't figure out how to get the damn app to load, which worked fine before. Guess I'll have to take a couple hours off tomorrow to head down to the Verizon store to get this situation un-f*cked.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Oh it made a great impression. I think going back to the iPhone will be a step back in terms of hardware. It's too bad such a great phone is saddled with such a piece of crap operating system.

I just did a full reset on the phone and Caller Name ID will STILL not load. It's too bad that I have to pay $3 a month for a Verizon app because Android can't report something so simple as the city and state of an incoming phone call, and the damn app won't even load in order to do so.

They don't make you pay, you chose too.

Android OS is not a "piece of crap operating system", and neither is iOS. You have a bad phone, it happens. I understand you're upset and feel the need to vent but Android continues to grow and get better with each release. Coming to an Android forum and calling the OS a piece of crap is not going to help your situation any.

I wouldn't call the iPhone a step back in hardware; my 5S is a great phone. I also wouldn't say that Android is a step back in software.

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
They don't make you pay, you chose too.

Android OS is not a "piece of crap operating system", and neither is iOS. You have a bad phone, it happens. I understand you're upset and feel the need to vent but Android continues to grow and get better with each release. Coming to an Android forum and calling the OS a piece of crap is not going to help your situation any.

I wouldn't call the iPhone a step back in hardware; my 5S is a great phone. I also wouldn't say that Android is a step back in software.

I guess I don't get it. Is there any other way to get the city and state of the incoming caller if they're not in my contacts, without paying, or passing my calls through Google Voice or some other system that I don't know about? I chose not to pay the $3 for visual voicemail (again, built into iOS, and inexplicably missing from Android) - Google Voice works great for that.

Each platform has their ups and downs. I'm trying very hard to get accustomed to Android because there are many benefits over the iPhone and I like the larger screen. However I've used the iPhone since 2010, and I used BlackBerry's before that. I had one bad iPhone, and that was because the home button went out. I had various BlackBerry's get replaced because I broke them - it was my fault, not the phone. In my entire time using a phone, this is the first time I've had my device wipe itself. Pretty frustrating.

Caller Name ID decided to start working sometime in the middle of the night.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
In my entire time using a phone, this is the first time I've had my device wipe itself. Pretty frustrating.

Sounds like it was installing the OTA, which SHOULDN'T wipe the phone =\ (Though I think it's a good idea to do so after an OTA update anyway. But that's just me.)

Verizon's Caller ID subscription, if you have the same one my friend accidentally subscribed to, is a bit more than just caller location. If it is from a mobile device, it should show you the name of the account holder of that phone number. Yes, I agree that phones today SHOULD be showing you at least the state which they are calling from, as basic phones did this back in the day. I don't have a need for Caller ID, but you could try the app WhoAreYou Caller ID which will lookup the number of the caller. From reviews it sounds like blocking features are useless, and it doesn't get the names correct, but if you're only concerned about location, it seems like it may be an option. There are other apps out there that claim to provide the same info as well.

Hope things work out for you =[

Cyberdelia

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like it was installing the OTA, which SHOULDN'T wipe the phone =\ (Though I think it's a good idea to do so after an OTA update anyway. But that's just me.)

Verizon's Caller ID subscription, if you have the same one my friend accidentally subscribed to, is a bit more than just caller location. If it is from a mobile device, it should show you the name of the account holder of that phone number. Yes, I agree that phones today SHOULD be showing you at least the state which they are calling from, as basic phones did this back in the day. I don't have a need for Caller ID, but you could try the app WhoAreYou Caller ID which will lookup the number of the caller. From reviews it sounds like blocking features are useless, and it doesn't get the names correct, but if you're only concerned about location, it seems like it may be an option. There are other apps out there that claim to provide the same info as well.

Hope things work out for you =[

Good thought on the OTA update, but I had already installed that this weekend. I actually really like the Caller ID subscription, it even brings up the name, if available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234