HTC One M8 Top Speaker grill- small bump/loose?

Kool G Sal

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to Android and the HTC M8. While I was taking my phone's case off, I noticed that the top speaker grill had/has a sm. bump (under the front facing camera). I pressed it and it went back down - it stayed nice and flush with the screen, a few seconds later... the bump came back up again. Does your M8 have the same issue, or is it flush with the screen? Is this normal, or is mine defected?
i have until tomorrow to return/exchange it (14 day trial). I paid full price for it, and I'm planning on keeping for at lease a year and a half. i just don't want the grill to fall off in a few months.:'(

Thanks everybody. Appreciate the help and feedback.

Kool G Sal

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I think Im gonna do just that. Sucks, 'cause it took me forever to set up my phone. But then again, i spent $640. Thanks for the reply

LCFC Tom

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Yh you spend that much on a phone you want it just right. You might be able to back up some of your settings with HTC.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Runnin_it

May 13, 2010
Visit site
You can back up everything with HTC backup. Just remember to set your play store to don't auto update, otherwise it will overwrite while your HTC backup is restoring. I exchanged mine yesterday and had to reset it to factory twice before I figured that out. The HTC restore put back all of my apps, settings, data, wallpaper, homescreens and sms messages though...

Kool G Sal

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip(s), guys. I just checked and it's not on HTC back up (sync?) I was trying to enable it, but it wouldn't let me. How do I turn off the Play Store, or how do I know if it's even on? Anywho, no big deal. I'll just re do everything again. Thanks again

.... off to AT&T.

Nquickk

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I just left the at&t store with the same issue and was told that's the way they're made. The rep brought out the display model and proceeded to show me that it was the same way. I felt like he was trying to avoid replacing it at all costs. However he did say if it popped out any more to bring it back and they'd replace it. I have about 10 days left, so I plan on going back. It's really bothering me. I've tried looking online to see if this is a widespread problem, but I haven't seen much besides your situation.

Kool G Sal

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The rep is full of ****. I just replaced mine and no bump on this one! If I was you, i'd go replace it. I'm very picky with my stuff... i literally spend minutes going through my new gadgets - phones, consoles, Mac, iPad, etc. Im just making sure that everything is in great condition and working properly. We're spending lots of mula for these devices, so we have the right to make sure that it's in pristine condition and 100% functional.

I told my rep that my phone was rebooting. They exchanged it in a heart beat. Also, he let me keep the extra charger and headphones... talk about great Customer Service.

Good luck, mate.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on HTC's website right now.... thanks.

ericmpena

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Just noticed my phone is doing the same thing. The top right of my speaker grill was popping off a good amount. I pressed it back in but I can see it still not sitting flush with the screen. It's pretty noticeable now that I've already seen it. I ordered my phone through Best Buy when they were having their $100 Mother's Day special. Should I be contacting Best Buy about swapping it out or Sprint?

EDIT: Just contacted Best Buy and they said I'm out of my 14 day return period, so they're referring me to HTC for a Manufacturer Warranty Claim.

EDIT 2: HTC will not honor device defect because it is a cosmetic issue. They offered for me to send it in for repairs, but then I will be without a phone for 7-10 business days. They will not offer me a swap option so that I can avoid being without a phone.
The only other option they said was to go to Sprint and see if they will exchange it, which I'm pretty sure they won't. Looks like I'm going to have to send off my M8 and reactivate my old iPhone 4S, which I might add is still in flawless condition...with nothing falling apart after the first 20 days. Maybe I made a bad decision leaving Apple. :/

Last edited:

Cody Lyver

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
This is a very minor issue and quick fix. Take a guitar pick and remove the plastic speaker cover, apply new tape (3m or scotch does the trick) and place it back down. It's really not worth the trouble of replacing/repairing. (This does not void your warranty)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to Android and the HTC M8. While I was taking my phone's case off, I noticed that the top speaker grill had/has a sm. bump (under the front facing camera). I pressed it and it went back down - it stayed nice and flush with the screen, a few seconds later... the bump came back up again. Does your M8 have the same issue, or is it flush with the screen? Is this normal, or is mine defected?
i have until tomorrow to return/exchange it (14 day trial). I paid full price for it, and I'm planning on keeping for at lease a year and a half. i just don't want the grill to fall off in a few months.:'(

Thanks everybody. Appreciate the help and feedback.

As the comment above me says, clean it and retape it with better double sided tape. Baffling that HTC would use closures that can shift or allow the cover to snag on the edge of your pocket...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang