Which messaging app is better

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
To be more specific, the new HTC one came with many Verizon apps. Some I use, others I don't. When I started I noticed there was a Verizon messaging app and what appears to be the stock app. Which in your opinion is better or are they about the same?

Any opinions on the other Verizon apps is much appreciated.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Sense Stock app is pretty good. 8sms or textra for some lightweight apps that are good. And go sms and handcent for heavyweight apps with tons of customization options. I used 8sms on my nexus and using stock now. I gave up on handcent a while ago.

Posted via Android Central App

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm still using and loving Handcent, been using it for years and I have the customization just the way I like it.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Textra textra textra. Its not the most elegant or customizable, but its quick to use and very reliable. I've used a ton of SMS apps on the play store, 8sms, hello SMS, hover chat, handcent, and so on. They all offer unique things but none of them are as reliable as textra. I keep going back to it and highly recommend it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hardcase19

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I just started using Textra and really like it. The only issue I am having is that when I create a new text and search for a contact they are not all listed alphabetically by last name. For instance, some contacts with a last name starting with A will be listed but others are not and I must search by their first name. Any ideas on how to fix this?
thanks

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I have never used VZW apps when I was on their service and personally don't know what that messaging app is like but I bet it is restrictive when it comes to customizing the appearance.

I personally use Hangouts as 1) I don't care about that whole NSA crap; b) I like having my hangouts conversations mixed in with my texts, easier to use one app instead of 2+; & c) I like the archive feature for texts + hangouts. Makes it easier to keep my inbox (or whatever you call it) cleaner.
The other texting apps I've used don't have that and I end up losing texts..because I accidentally delete them because I'm so used to the archive feature with hangouts. I've used the stock messaging app on Samsung devices (it is alright, customization isn't that great), ChompSMS (I like this customization better!), & MySMS (so I can text on my computer without needing my phone around; plus is backs up my texts to my email + Evernote + Google Drive).

I've also got MightyText working in the background constantly to backup my texts to the cloud and so that I can text on my computer. This one is a lot better when it comes to texting from your computer. I'm not sure if it works with Mac because I use a PC BUT it tells you your phone battery life, it can back up your pictures + schedule messages to send (if you get the new pro version) & Manage your contacts from the web app. It's awesome. :) http://mightytext.com

I tried handcent a while back but ended up deleting it before I even really used it. MySMS & ChompSMS both have the popup messaging where a window will popup allowing you to read any new messages and reply without actually opening the app itself. This is one thing I miss from Hangouts but I can live without it.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Google Hangouts is now pretty decent after the recent update that merges hangout messages/sms messages into a single thread. I do both text messages and hangout messages, so it's just easier for me to keep them in the one app. I just wish the sms you get on Hangouts were visible on other devices.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I like the he Verizon messenger app. The main reason is because using that you can get text messages on our computer and tablet ND they'll all be in sync. I find that to be very handy.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I used Hangouts on my Nexus 5 and continued to use it when I switched to the M8. Hangouts was good for me but a bit limited on attachment types from within the app. Since then I have also tried Evolve, Textra and Chomp. Couldn't get used to Evolve and swiping between screens, Textra and Chomp are nice (very customizable) but I send audio files from time to time and they handled them ok but when the recipient got them (my wife with an iPhone) it showed up as a 3gpp file (not the mp3 file type I had attached) which her phone could not interpret. I'm using the stock Htc messaging app now and don't have that issue and it has many options for attachments from within the app. Staying with the stock app for now.