Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Default re: Screen scratches really easily on the M8

Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    sorry to hear your story, but most people put on a screen protector, so now you know better than to go nude.
    Honestly that isn't fair. Someone shouldn't have to get a screen protector so their screen won't scratch.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

I personally never use screen protectors. I put the phone in its own pocket with nothing else in there... And always lay it on tables and things on its back. No issues with any of my phones.

Only one phone (this Note 3) has a tiny scratch on it but that was my fault.. I dropped it near sand then used my shirt before looking (blew most off but didn't check fully) and one grain was still on there.. Scratched it a little. Again my fault though since sand is known to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Honestly that isn't fair. Someone shouldn't have to get a screen protector so their screen won't scratch.

Ehh, I think it's a stretch to say that it "isn't fair". I mean, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that glass, regardless of material, has a chance to be scratched.

You could say that they should make things more scratch resistant, but nearly everything can get scratched, and it's only reasonable to suggest to get some sort of protection on something to avoid it. Even then, there is a chance that things will still get scratched, like getting some dirt in your case or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I personally never use screen protectors. I put the phone in its own pocket with nothing else in there... And always lay it on tables and things on its back. No issues with any of my phones.

Only one phone (this Note 3) has a tiny scratch on it but that was my fault.. I dropped it near sand then used my shirt before looking (blew most off but didn't check fully) and one grain was still on there.. Scratched it a little. Again my fault though since sand is known to do that.

That's pretty much my situation too. I don't like using screen protectors and have had pretty good luck with my phones over the years. I always watch out and make sure to place it facing up, or if I'm putting into a backpack, pocket, or other container make sure that the screen is not facing anything harder than cloth. And, as others have mentioned, never let sand accumulate in my pockets. Quartz = evil

I bought the M8 two weeks ago and have yet to put a screen protector on it. After having one on the M7 I just felt the protector, although keeping the screen scratch free, it made the screen look worse and harder to keep clean from finger grease. I just try to keep keys, coins and other items that have potential to scratch away from the phone.

Any damage or questions regarding damage should have a picture attached so we can see what you are referring to. To some people if you breath on the device wrong they say it's damaged

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    James E1 and Plummerdc88 like this.

I've had my M8 for two weeks now and haven't had any issues with scratches on the screen. I purchased and installed one of the new tempered glass screen protectors last night mostly because I didn't want to tempt fate and because I had some Best Buy rewards that were about to expire. In the time that the screen was bare I drove cross country (which included the phone flying out of the center console more than a couple times) and put it through normal daily use without any issues. For what its worth I went with the Zagg brand cover and its actually very nice, probably the best screen protector I have ever used.

What I have noticed is that the glass covering the main camera lens scratches very easily and if your phone is not in a case and you set it down ANYWHERE you're just asking for scratches. It seems very apparent to me that the glass covering this lens is not Gorilla Glass III. I ordered a case today and as much as I don't want to hide my phone away in a case I feel its necessary or else very soon my camera will be unusable.

This is why I will always use a screen protector. I just don't believe in these Gorilla Glass or even Apple's upcoming Sapphire iPhone.

SHIFT_pro s5

I run nude.... no problems.

I always go nekkid. In fact I am nekkid right now writing this response... but that is a different story all together...

Buuut anyway...... I have had the EVO 4G LTE, The OneX, The One M7 and now the M8 and have never put on a screen protector or had a scratch from and I carry mine in my pocket in in all kinds of environments. Weather is it mountain biking, hiking, or day to day transport, it is usually in my pocket screen towards me. Gorilla Glass III is come pretty good stuff. So what you may see is more or a mar rather than a scratch. If you can't run your fingernail across it and it catch, I would say it is a mar. There are some screen polish that you can get, but I do not know much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbra Cadabra View Post
    I've had my M8 for two weeks now and haven't had any issues with scratches on the screen. I purchased and installed one of the new tempered glass screen protectors last night mostly because I didn't want to tempt fate and because I had some Best Buy rewards that were about to expire. In the time that the screen was bare I drove cross country (which included the phone flying out of the center console more than a couple times) and put it through normal daily use without any issues. For what its worth I went with the Zagg brand cover and its actually very nice, probably the best screen protector I have ever used.

What I have noticed is that the glass covering the main camera lens scratches very easily and if your phone is not in a case and you set it down ANYWHERE you're just asking for scratches. It seems very apparent to me that the glass covering this lens is not Gorilla Glass III. I ordered a case today and as much as I don't want to hide my phone away in a case I feel its necessary or else very soon my camera will be unusable.
    My camera and flash lens cover scratched as well. The metal button from my coat pocket was the culprit. Definitely scratches easily.

I refuse to use any phone without a screen protector and a case. I've never dropped a phone but accidents happen.
    raichur0xx0rz likes this.

Default Re: Screen scratches really easily on the M8

Funny I came across this, I was looking at the M8 in a Telus store yesterday and I noticed the screen of the display model had dozens of little scratches on it. I expected a display model to be a little roughed up with all the people checking it out. But after reading this post I wonder if its just a case of the screens on the M8 being damaged to easily

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dam View Post
    EEEK! Keep it away from sand. I have had mine for 14 days now (it's a keeper) and don't use a screen protecter. No noticeable signs on my screen. Eventually i may get protection, but i just like the look and feel of going nekkid.
    Get a glass screen protector. Well worth the cost imo and you can't even tell it's there. Honestly I think it feels better than the unprotected screen.

Posted via Android Central App
    LelandC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    Get a glass screen protector. Well worth the cost imo and you can't even tell it's there. Honestly I think it feels better than the unprotected screen.

This. I purchased the MIME Ghost Glass for my M8. I've had this problem with every HTC device I've owned. I just assumed they were not using Gorilla Glass.

Default Re: Screen scratches really easily on the HTC One (M8)

Same here, I never put it face down but have lots of little scratches.... how is this possible with gorilla glass...this really sucks

I know there's like some kinda film or material over the screen. The screen isn't scratched, its the film material over the screen

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

I got one of the glass screen protectors, and it scratched within 2 days. I think it may because women sometimes drop it in our purses without thinking. I have a certain pocket I put it in now in my purse.

Quote Originally Posted by mburg217 View Post
    Same here, I never put it face down but have lots of little scratches.... how is this possible with gorilla glass...this really sucks
    Gorilla glass can be scratched by sand and other debris. My last phone had the second generation glass (I think I read the M8 is using generation 3), and had a lot of fine scratches after two years. Nothing too distracting, but scratched none the less. I work in a "dirty" environment where it's easy to pick up dirt and grit. So GC scratching is one of those YMMV things. Even if I stayed indoors all day, I'd still use a protector now that I know it's not as impervious as they would have you believe. It's durable, but not perfect. As others have said, it's better to replace a protector if needed, than to replace the actual screen.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12