Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen scratches really easily on the HTC One (M8)

i've only had my htc one M8 for a week at most and i have at least 5 minor scratches on the end of the device and around 2 very small circle scratches in the middle they don't really bother me as i can only see them at the right angle in sunlight but it still bothers me that it scratches so easily i don't put it in my pocket or put it on a table face down and yet i have so many minor scratches does anyone else have the same problem

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Default re: Screen scratches really easily on the M8

How is that possible with Gorilla Glass 3

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

i don't know that is why i'm mad

well that sux cause im gonna go without protector i have a bodygaurdz glass one spent $35 on that but no way to thick u would think it couldn't scratch
    to easily
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

i really hope that it doesn't happen to everyone and that it is an isolated incident

I found two minor scratches when I was putting on my screen protector. It sucks. I have scratches on all my phones and I'm extra careful where my bare screens end up.
    People bring this up all the time. The thing is, you have to remember that anything harder than the glass on your phone can and will scratch it. No matter how small it may be. There's particles everywhere that you don't know about that are harder than glass. Its inevitable that your glass will scratch without a screen protector.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    skeleton rider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    How is that possible with Gorilla Glass 3

earrings and a diamond one will easily scratch any glass.
    LG-isai
    Oliver Telfor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew pollock1 View Post
    i really hope that it doesn't happen to everyone and that it is an isolated incident
    sorry to hear your story, but most people put on a screen protector, so now you know better than to go nude.
    LG-isai

That's really weird, I literally just took my pocket knife and scratched the screen a little bit & got nothing, can you get it replaced?
    Topgonzo likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ive been planning to get one but i don't have the time i don't believe i can replace it

I went two years with no protector on my One X and not a single scratch. I don't expect to get one on the M8 either. Gorilla III is great stuff. With that said, if you are getting scratches, it has to do w/ the way you use your phone and you may benefit form a protector. That goes for ANY phone you use as the M8 is not any more susceptible to scratching than most flagship phones (being that most of them use the same glass).
    CountryDevil and James E1 like this.

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

It is weird, I went to YouTube and watched a couple of videos of scratch tests of Gorilla glass 3. It seems really durable and resistant to scratches.
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

no issues here and I've owned the phone since april 4th.

putting it face down can cause that
    My cell phone history for the last decade.

2005/2006: Motorola W315, Motorola razr
    2007: Motorola W385
    2008: HTC shadow
    2009/2010: Motorola i335, Motorola i9, Blackbery 8330,
    2010: HTC EVO 4G
    2011: HTC EVO 3D, HTC rezound
    2012: HTC EVO LTE
    2014: HTC ONE M8.

I got this from amazon:Spigen HTC One M8 Screen Protector Glass [GLAS.tR NANO SLIM] (0.23mm) and love it! It actually makes the screen look better before wearing polarized glasses I had a problem reading the screen now it pops and the glass is smooth and thin. well worth 40.00

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    sorry to hear your story, but most people put on a screen protector, so now you know better than to go nude.
    I dont and never have. I've never scratched any device i've had.

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by coronaboy10 View Post
    Neither have I. I've never used any sort of screen protector on any of my phones and I've never had any scratches on a screen. Nor have I ever cracked a screen.

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts

I ordered the MIME Ghost Glass for my M8. I've been extra careful while I wait for delivery.

I have a regular screen protector on right now, but I will end up putting a tempered glass screen protector on it

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    "aliter ictus diversis folks"

The Treo 650 was the last device I had that I used a screen protector with. Never had a scratched screen on any of my devices since.

Sand will easily scratch your screen. It doesn't take much at all.

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by coronaboy10 View Post
    Neither have I. I've never used any sort of screen protector on any of my phones and I've never had any scratches on a screen. Nor have I ever cracked a screen.
    Same here. I couldn't imaging putting something over these screens. I'd rather enjoy the full beauty and risk a scratch than to cover it up. Same reason I don't use cases.

7 scratches in less than a week?! This is REAL hard to believe. I've never used a screen protector, and haven't scratched the screen on ANY of my phones in the past 5 years. I'd say I take my phone out of my pocket an average of 20 times a day, too. If you do the math, that's about 36,500 times I've taken my phone out of my pocket without ever scratching a screen. What the HECK is this guy doing to his phone?!!

It is weird, I went to YouTube and watched a couple of videos of scratch tests of Gorilla glass 3. It seems really durable and resistant to scratches.
    You see all these videos where they test it with keys, knives, or whatever. But what they never show is that a single grain of sand can be more destructive to your screen than all of those things combined.

My guess is maybe OP has some dirt or sand in his pocket - it only takes a few grains to really scratch your screen up.
    puch96 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kbp08tls View Post
    You see all these videos where they test it with keys, knives, or whatever. But what they never show is that a single grain of sand can be more destructive to your screen than all of those things combined.

My guess is maybe OP has some dirt or sand in his pocket - it only takes a few grains to really scratch your screen up.
    Well that would be an interesting test. Test with sandpaper.

Well that would be an interesting test. Test with sandpaper.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

EEEK! Keep it away from sand. I have had mine for 14 days now (it's a keeper) and don't use a screen protecter. No noticeable signs on my screen. Eventually i may get protection, but i just like the look and feel of going nekkid.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast