Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mhunter6378
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default UNLOCKED M8 from HTC- does it have onboard/stick file explorer?

I'm trying to figure out if I get this device, whether I'm going to have to root and custom ROM to get access to microSD card.
    Does the UNLOCKED version contain the stock file explorer?

Global Posts
    4,269 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: UNLOCKED M8 from HTC- does it have onboard/stick file explorer?

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    I'm trying to figure out if I get this device, whether I'm going to have to root and custom ROM to get access to microSD card.
    Hello. You should be able to see the SD Card. Is there a specific reason why you need the stock file explorer? I would go with something like ES File Explorer that allows easy navigation in external storage.

Wizzrah, Android Central Ambassador | Sent from my AT&T One XL running Karbon Kat. \(^~^)/
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    I have an unlocked version, there is no native file explorer on it. You don't have to go the custom rom route to get file access again but it does require root. ES File Explorer has updated now that allows it but root access is necessary.
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    4,269 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    I have an unlocked version, there is no native file explorer on it. You don't have to go the custom rom route to get file access again but it does require root. ES File Explorer has updated now that allows it but root access is necessary.
    I was half right.

Wizzrah, Android Central Ambassador | Sent from my AT&T One XL running Karbon Kat. \(^~^)/
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    I was half right.

Yep, I use ES File Explorer and am not rooted. I can see all my files but moving them is another story now with KitKat. Although I'm started to get used to it and finding work arounds...

Global Posts
    4,269 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Yep, I use ES File Explorer and am not rooted. I can see all my files but moving them is another story now with KitKat. Although I'm started to get used to it and finding work arounds...
    I connect a USB stick to my One X and use ES File Explorer to look at files in there. It works great! I am rooted though...

Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Hello. You should be able to see the SD Card. Is there a specific reason why you need the stock file explorer? I would go with something like ES File Explorer that allows easy navigation in external storage.

Because KitKat 4.4.2 denies read/write access to microSD for anything but stock/on-board apps. ES File Explorer will not be functional with KitKat.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

So KK 4.4.2 denies access to microSD but there's also no on-board file explorer. Terrific. So I HAVE to root a brand new device.
    F'ing google.