UNLOCKED M8 from HTC- does it have onboard/stick file explorer?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if I get this device, whether I'm going to have to root and custom ROM to get access to microSD card.
Does the UNLOCKED version contain the stock file explorer?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if I get this device, whether I'm going to have to root and custom ROM to get access to microSD card.

Hello. You should be able to see the SD Card. Is there a specific reason why you need the stock file explorer? I would go with something like ES File Explorer that allows easy navigation in external storage.

Wizzrah, Android Central Ambassador | Sent from my AT&T One XL running Karbon Kat. \(^~^)/

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I have an unlocked version, there is no native file explorer on it. You don't have to go the custom rom route to get file access again but it does require root. ES File Explorer has updated now that allows it but root access is necessary.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have an unlocked version, there is no native file explorer on it. You don't have to go the custom rom route to get file access again but it does require root. ES File Explorer has updated now that allows it but root access is necessary.

I was half right. :)

Wizzrah, Android Central Ambassador | Sent from my AT&T One XL running Karbon Kat. \(^~^)/

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I was half right. :)

Yep, I use ES File Explorer and am not rooted. I can see all my files but moving them is another story now with KitKat. Although I'm started to get used to it and finding work arounds...

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I use ES File Explorer and am not rooted. I can see all my files but moving them is another story now with KitKat. Although I'm started to get used to it and finding work arounds...

I connect a USB stick to my One X and use ES File Explorer to look at files in there. It works great! I am rooted though...

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello. You should be able to see the SD Card. Is there a specific reason why you need the stock file explorer? I would go with something like ES File Explorer that allows easy navigation in external storage.

Because KitKat 4.4.2 denies read/write access to microSD for anything but stock/on-board apps. ES File Explorer will not be functional with KitKat.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So KK 4.4.2 denies access to microSD but there's also no on-board file explorer. Terrific. So I HAVE to root a brand new device.
F'ing google.