Why do launchers kill Sense widgets ?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got my M8 recently, love this phone :) Rooted it, and installed InsertCoin ROM, battery life is off the charts excellent, almost as good as my old Note 2. Anyways, I tried the stock launcher for a few days, and it's very smooth and fast, but missing very important features I have gotten so used to with Nova Launcher, and I am shocked these type of settings just aren't baked into the Android OS by default already;

#1: Custom grid size, I typically go 5 x 5, and sometimes 4 x 6, but NEVER the default 4 x 4 size, and I don't understand why Android sticks with 4 x 4 as the default grid pattern with 5" + screen phones being the norm now ? Why isn't grid size an option in the system settings on all Androids phones now ?

#2: Swipe screen controls, I always use the swipe down anywhere on screen to pull the notification shade down. So I don't have to reach all the way up to the top and pull down, I can just swipe down anywhere on the screen, and that will pull the notification shade down.

But by adding a Launcher, I use the Sense widgets :crying: I never understood that one. Why would the widgets disappear as an option, but all other widgets are still there. With Google and even HTC putting some apps on the Play Store, why doesn't HTC put the Sense 6 Clock and Weather widget up on the Store, and the Calender Widget. But it totally sucks I lose some of those really cool Sense features by going to a different launcher, and I think some of these launcher features should be part of the OS by default anyways. Why isn't adjusting the grid size a standard option yet in the OS ?

So, how many of you either run stock Sense, or install a different launcher ?

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
A lot of good questions that really no one here can answer...
Except that last one of course.
I just stick with sense. I like the Google launcher the most but I really enjoy the HTC widgets and I don't mind the sense launcher.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
The Sense widgets are baked into the Sense launcher; they don't exist as standalone ".apk's" so to speak. Devs have been trying for years to extract them to be used in other launchers, but to no avail.
The only option is to try to emulate them with widgets available on the Play Store.