Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default unlocked m8 (for T-mobile)

after seeing some latest photo samples... I think I am ready to buy a m8.

My questions is now, which model should I get?
    I know i dont want to get the tmo version coz of the bloatware, locked, slower update, and tmo logo, but I heard that unlocked version directly from htc will be only be compatible with tmo's 2G & LTE frequency.

Google play edition won't have extreme power saver mode... I feel like I have no choice but to get stuck with t-mo model again... pls help

Default Re: pls help...which model of m8 should I get? (for tmo)

Depends on the area you live in for T-Mobile. The unlocked M8 does not have one frequency used by T-Mobile, 1700mhz I think. It's my understanding that T-Mobile has re-farmed many areas to 1900mhz. If you're in one of the re-farmed areas it will have no impact on you. Otherwise, if in a 1700mhz area, you lose hspa+, at least that's my understanding. Not sure what carrier bloat T-Mobile puts on their phones, if any. But they do come with wifi calling which the unlocked version does not. As a disclaimer, I have the unlocked version on At&t so this info is based on others observations, experience and other information sources.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Depends on the area you live in for T-Mobile. The unlocked M8 does not have one frequency used by T-Mobile, 1700mhz I think. It's my understanding that T-Mobile has re-farmed many areas to 1900mhz. If you're in one of the re-farmed areas it will have no impact on you. Otherwise, if in a 1700mhz area, you lose hspa+, at least that's my understanding. Not sure what carrier bloat T-Mobile puts on their phones, if any. But they do come with wifi calling which the unlocked version does not. As a disclaimer, I have the unlocked version on At&t so this info is based on others observations, experience and other information sources.
    I am located in Los Angeles. And I travel to San Diego often. How do I check this re-farmed area?

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Tmobile has 5 apps they grace us with. But they can all be hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by jackoceanz View Post
    I am located in Los Angeles. And I travel to San Diego often. How do I check this re-farmed area?
    I found this
    T-Mobile lists all 49 cities with 1900MHz HSPA+ service as one user finds small patch of LTE in NYC | PhoneDog
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by coronaboy10 View Post
    Tmobile has 5 apps they grace us with. But they can all be hidden.
    hidden is still taking up space... i guess bloatware is not as a big deal nowadays with the phone being so fluid.

the bigger problem i think is updates. tmo being one extra channel that needs to approve the software which holds up the time.

nexus will always get updates first, then Google play edition > unlocked phones > carrier phones
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Unlocked m8
    LTE Quad Band (Bands 17/4/2/5);
    LTE MIMO;
    GSM/EDGE: Quad-band (850/900/1800/1900 Hz),
    Class 12; UMTS: Tri-band (UMTS 850/1900/2100MHz),
    HSPA+Category 14xx (HSDPA 21Mbps/ EDCH 5.7 Mbps);
    http://s.htc.com/1eymjC5 .

2G: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    3G WCDMA: 850/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps
    4G LTE: 700/850/AWS/1800/1900/2600 MHz
    http://www.androidcentral.com/develo...m8-ready-order

T-Mobile m8
    UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100);UMTS: Band V (850);Band II (1900);Quad Band GSM;LTE
    t mobile network
    http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988

T-Mobile’s 4G LTE network uses 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies
    Our 4G (HSPA+) network operates on the 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies.
    Our 3G network operates on the 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies.
    EDGE, our enhanced 2G service, delivers a theoretical maximum download speed of 236 kbps.
    GPRS, our 2G service, delivers a theoretical maximum download speed of 114 kbps. Typical speeds are between 35 kbps and 45 kbps.
    http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988

based on above specs and numbers... I guess unlocked m8 won't be able to use the 1700 and 2100 LTE frequencies...
    so I am stuck with 1900 refarmed 3G?