Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question about the on screen buttons

I am just wondering when those buttons disappear on the screen. I was playing with one in the store today and noticed when I started watching a video on YouTube they would go away, but do they go away any other time? I forgot to pay attention, but do they get in the way while typing or are they easy to accidentally hit them?

Global Posts
    7,251 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Question about the on screen buttons

Apps are able to tap into the APIs that allow them to be hidden in Immersive Mode. Generally this is fond in apps that are displaying pictures and video. As far as I know, they will not automatically disappear while typing unless you are using a keyboard app that is specifically set up to do that. At this point I do not know of any keyboards that do so.

https://developer.android.com/traini...immersive.html

Quote Originally Posted by dman76 View Post
    I am just wondering when those buttons disappear on the screen. I was playing with one in the store today and noticed when I started watching a video on YouTube they would go away, but do they go away any other time? I forgot to pay attention, but do they get in the way while typing or are they easy to accidentally hit them?
    They've been out of the way for me and when I watch a fullscreen YoutTube vid, they hide, as when I take pics, look at pics, etc. I bump them less than I did with my last phone (actually, pretty much never on the M8). I've never hit one while typing. I think they implemented them in a smart way. When thy're hidden, just touch the screen and they pop back up.

Yeah, as others have mentioned, Video watching, gallery, camera, and any other app in which the developer has put in code to allow for immersive mode. Quite a few games and some music apps do this. I've never accidentally hit one when typing so far, and I do a lot of high speed "touch" typing throughout the day. I really don't think someone would be more likely to hit onscreen keys than physical ones.