Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8): Please explain High Performance Mode

Hello,

I recently came across a website that was talking about the extreme power saving mode on the M8 and it is not available on my current software number of 1.55.605.2 but will be available on 1.55.631.4. During this I searched in the faq on my device about this mode. I came a crossed this

(Why are Power saver and Extreme power saving mode both grayed out?

This happens when you turn on High performance mode under Developer options in Settings.
    High performance mode requires additional battery power to maximize CPU performance. In this mode, both the Power saver and Extreme power saving mode features won't be available. If you want to use these features, turn off High performance mode.)

Naturally I searched how to enable the developer settings
    (HTC One M8 High Performance Mode developer options - PC Advisor ) and turned on High Performance Mode. Then I was searching and saw a lot about benchmark apps a etc.

My question is what is a benchmark app and what does the HPM actually do? If anyone can shed some light and let me know.

Thanks
    Joe

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    22,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Please explain High Performance Mode

A benchmark app would be like Antutu, and a benchmark is a point of reference that multiple devices can be compared to. High performance mode, I would guess, overclocks the CPU to attain faster performance. If this were the case, that would go along with the reason that you can't have battery saving and and overclocked CPU.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Has anybody used the high performance setting? Does it make much of a difference and how much of an impact does it have on battery consumption?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mobile Nations mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I used it today. Download the Antutu Benchmark app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utu.ABenchMark

Try it with and without it. There is a difference. I tried playing a racing game with and without. With it seemed a little smoother. And yes battery level goes down quickly. I'm just waiting to the update so I can use the extreme battery savor

Is this not available on the AT&T model? I can't find it in my developer settings.

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I tried it for a little bit. It does improve the performance at the cost of battery life.

Posted via Android Central App on the HTC One M8
    My cell phone history for the last decade.

2005/2006: Motorola W315, Motorola razr
    2007: Motorola W385
    2008: HTC shadow
    2009/2010: Motorola i335, Motorola i9, Blackbery 8330,
    2010: HTC EVO 4G
    2011: HTC EVO 3D, HTC rezound
    2012: HTC EVO LTE
    2014: HTC ONE M8.

I'm on AT&T as well and I don't have this option in the developer settings

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

You don't have the high performance mode option? Did you get to your developer options by hitting the build 6 times?

Yes I did, still no sign of the high performance mode.

No idea where that was thanks. I have it on my Verizon m8

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by joe morgan4 View Post
    You don't have the high performance mode option? Did you get to your developer options by hitting the build 6 times?

Yup, I've activated developer options and no high performance setting on my AT&T variant

Global Posts
    22,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Don't have it on mine either. AT&T M8.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Well I guess that's more of a reason to switch to Verizon. Lol. That's really strange. Wonder why AT&T did that?

Quote Originally Posted by joe morgan4 View Post
    Well I guess that's more of a reason to switch to Verizon. Lol. That's really strange. Wonder why AT&T did that?

Nah I'll keep my stock browser, Verizon versions removed it. Plus AT&T has better coverage in my area

It's a completely useless feature unless you're benchmarking or want to use your phone as a heater

My M8 posted this

Well it's in Developer Options for a reason, and Developer Options was hidden by default recently for a reason. I'm assuming AT&T didn't want people messing with it and then complaining about battery life. Of course, why Verizon would allow it and NOT allow Power Saving modes, in addition to removing the stock browser, doesn't make any sense.

Regardless, I would agree that it's not really a necessary setting, and unless you need to test a new app that you made or have an extremely demanding game, the slight performance increase wouldn't be worth the battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    Well it's in Developer Options for a reason, and Developer Options was hidden by default recently for a reason. I'm assuming AT&T didn't want people messing with it and then complaining about battery life. Of course, why Verizon would allow it and NOT allow Power Saving modes, in addition to removing the stock browser, doesn't make any sense.

Regardless, I would agree that it's not really a necessary setting, and unless you need to test a new app that you made or have an extremely demanding game, the slight performance increase wouldn't be worth the battery drain.
    Well, since the at&t version doesn't have power saver either, maybe those features are controlled by the program, and once the update with power saver hits well also see boost mode.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Well, since the at&t version doesn't have power saver either, maybe those features are controlled by the program, and once the update with power saver hits well also see boost mode.
    AT&T variants have power saver mode, just not extreme power saver. Verizon versions don't even have regular power saver mode

Default Re: HTC One (M8): Please explain High Performance Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    AT&T variants have power saver mode, just not extreme power saver. Verizon versions don't even have regular power saver mode

Huh, well that proved me wrong. Have no idea why its not there then.