Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By bigoldthor
  • 1 Post By mchockeyvette27
  • 1 Post By mchockeyvette27
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC should just drop the parentheses and use M8 as the official model number

Seems to work well for:
    • Samsung Galaxy S, S2, S3, S4, S5)
    • Apple iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S
    • LG G2, G3, etc.
    • Sony Experia Z, Z2, Z3, etc.

HTC could just use the One M7, One M8, etc. to avoid confusion and allow continuity with their naming convention. It would help cement the "One M(x)" moniker to consumers much like the Galaxy S(x) from Samsung.
    • HTC One M7
    • HTC One M8
    • HTC One M9 (?)
    • etc.

What do you think? Anything wrong with this strategy? I'm not a marketing guy, so just thinking out loud.

Default Re: HTC should just drop the parentheses and use M8 as the official model number

I just say m8, m7. But that doesn't really flow too well I don't think. HTC m7 HTC m8. Eh idk.
    But yeah I think screw the parenthesis.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: HTC should just drop the parentheses and use M8 as the official model number

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    I just say m8, m7. But that doesn't really flow too well I don't think. HTC m7 HTC m8. Eh idk.

How about "HTC One M7" or "HTC One M8"? Does that flow better?
    Thanked by:
    kct1975 and Dizfunctions like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldthor View Post
    How about "HTC One M7" or "HTC One M8"? Does that flow better?
    Yeah it does.

But for simplicities sake and less confusion, using progressive numbers with m7 and m8 would be better. And skip the One name altogether.

Although what the hell do I know?

bigoldthor likes this.

I think it works well with the other phones, because they're all smaller numbers. S5 is alright, but S11 sounds kind of ridiculous. Like M8 sounds good enough, but the problem will be if they keep doing it, then you'll reach the -teens that are all two or more syllables and use harsher sounds. They won't roll off the tongue as easily and might not even sound that great. I think HTC might go with M9, but I'm not sure how much further than that, and I'd assume that Samsung and Apple might switch somewhere down the line since they're getting up there as well. iPhone 5 is good, but just think if they kept doing it long enough to reach the iPhone 17S.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

Quote Originally Posted by Prinny Mask View Post
    I think it works well with the other phones, because they're all smaller numbers. S5 is alright, but S11 sounds kind of ridiculous. Like M8 sounds good enough, but the problem will be if they keep doing it, then you'll reach the -teens that are all two or more syllables and use harsher sounds. They won't roll off the tongue as easily and might not even sound that great. I think HTC might go with M9, but I'm not sure how much further than that, and I'd assume that Samsung and Apple might switch somewhere down the line since they're getting up there as well. iPhone 5 is good, but just think if they kept doing it long enough to reach the iPhone 17S.
    So then maybe it should have been:

HTC one
    HTC two
    HTC three
    HTC four
    HTC five
    HTC six
    HTC seven
    HTC eight
    HTC nine
    HTC 9s
    HTC 9s 1/2
    HTC 9s 3/4

And so on.

bigoldthor likes this.

So then maybe it should have been:

HTC one
    HTC two
    HTC three
    HTC four
    HTC five
    HTC six
    HTC seven
    HTC eight
    HTC nine
    HTC 9s
    HTC 9s 1/2
    HTC 9s 3/4

And so on.
    Just having the name as the number go up is horrible. HTC Three? That not only sounds bad, but it looks bad. HTC One is a decent way to include their companies name without it sounding disjointed. Samsung at least has "Galaxy" in between to break it up. Samsung Galaxy S5 sounds better than just Samsung S5. And don't even try with Apple 5S. There's a reason why companies include extra words into product names, even if they don't much make sense sometimes. They could of called it just "Two" but since HTC makes it, it would be referred to as the "HTC Two." And they know having the word "two" spelled out just doesn't look as good as "one" so they decided that's how they want to keep it. The "One" part is like "Galaxy". It's just to tie the products together, nothing more.

And the M7 and M8 are technically the codenames, and the codenames were never very important before. The 2013 One was hardly referred to as the M7 until the M8 came out, and the 2014 One has M8 next to it just to distinguish itself from the M7 in a way that's already somewhat known because leaks. The M7 is HTC's seventh flagship; M8 is the eighth; the One X was the sixth, but the One X was probably referred to as something different. They changed the codename to M to signify that the devices were going to be in a series, and the number is which flagship. Having a letter with a number rather than having just a number helps organize the products internally. They couldn't really have started the One series that far ago, because HTC had carrier exclusive devices all over the place, and we all know what happened when they tried One X, S, V, etc. They could very well use M9 for the next One, but at least right now, it seems like it's there just to distinguish, rather than be an actual product name.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

Just having the name as the number go up is horrible. HTC Three? That not only sounds bad, but it looks bad. HTC One is a decent way to include their companies name without it sounding disjointed. Samsung at least has "Galaxy" in between to break it up. Samsung Galaxy S5 sounds better than just Samsung S5. And don't even try with Apple 5S. There's a reason why companies include extra words into product names, even if they don't much make sense sometimes. They could of called it just "Two" but since HTC makes it, it would be referred to as the "HTC Two." And they know having the word "two" spelled out just doesn't look as good as "one" so they decided that's how they want to keep it. The "One" part is like "Galaxy". It's just to tie the products together, nothing more.

And the M7 and M8 are technically the codenames, and the codenames were never very important before. The 2013 One was hardly referred to as the M7 until the M8 came out, and the 2014 One has M8 next to it just to distinguish itself from the M7 in a way that's already somewhat known because leaks. The M7 is HTC's seventh flagship; M8 is the eighth; the One X was the sixth, but the One X was probably referred to as something different. They changed the codename to M to signify that the devices were going to be in a series, and the number is which flagship. Having a letter with a number rather than having just a number helps organize the products internally. They couldn't really have started the One series that far ago, because HTC had carrier exclusive devices all over the place, and we all know what happened when they tried One X, S, V, etc. They could very well use M9 for the next One, but at least right now, it seems like it's there just to distinguish, rather than be an actual product name.
    I was kinda just poking fun at the whole naming scheme in that post. Lol I wasn't being serious at all, if the last couple names didn't give that away already.

I was kinda just poking fun at the whole naming scheme in that post. Lol I wasn't being serious at all, if the last couple names didn't give that away already.
    I know lol it wasn't totally directed at you, it was just generally why they chose what they did.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

I know lol it wasn't totally directed at you, it was just generally why they chose what they did.
    Oh yeah. And it really does make sense though. I think they overall did fine with the naming. Its just a shame that more people don't know about it.

Oh yeah. And it really does make sense though. I think they overall did fine with the naming. Its just a shame that more people don't know about it.
    I think they should've just used the names from their name generator. HTC One "Hungry Tornado Chaser"
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

I think they should've just used the names from their name generator. HTC One "Hungry Tornado Chaser"
    Oh that's right. Lol yeah definitely.

Banned

Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts

I call it awesome

Yeah using too many numbers, that never works well. I am fine with them saying The One 2014....that is even better than using the M8, just for looks.

Look at blackberry, their numbering system was quite annoying and hard to keep up with, even now with their Z series, they are already one the Z3 and the Z 1 just came out last year.....