Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Have the M8 on Verizon, going to switch. T-Mobile or ATT?

I switched to Verizon when getting my M8, but have had nothing but problems with them and today got them to take the M8 back as a return.

Does anyone have an opinion on Services? I like TMobile for the free international data and texting, and VOIP capabilities, but i dont know anyone in my area with T-Mobile. Coverage map looks good, but hear the service is awful.

ATT ive had before and the service never gave me a problem, but paying those high international roaming fees suck. I want to switch to T-Mobile, but am worried that the coverage will be bad.

I'm in Albany NY btw. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations.

Default Re: Have the M8 on Verizon, going to switch. T-Mobile or ATT?

I don't live in your area but maybe you can try out T-Mobile for a little bit to see how service is?

Sensorly.com is a great site for real world data on carrier coverage. Also it's odd to hear Verizon is giving you issues.

With T-Mobile you mentioned voip capabilities? Do you mean wifi calling? If so.. Are you keeping the Verizon phone? You would need to have a T-Mobile branded phone to have that feature (it's technically considered carrier bloatware).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    VDub2174 likes this.

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile last year, and haven't regretted it one bit.

Service and speeds are great (for me...bay area). Coverage was obviously better on Verizon, but it hasn't affected me all that much.

Plus it's nice being on a GSM carrier. I'm a phone geek, so nearly every phone out there can work on the network (using an Xperia Z2 from Taiwan).

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I wound up going with ATT. a case of the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

I got Verizon to take the phone back without charging me the full 650 on Next. So i have an ATT phone now. I also found out that the school i take classes at give discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by GregIsARadDude View Post
    I wound up going with ATT. a case of the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

I got Verizon to take the phone back without charging me the full 650 on Next. So i have an ATT phone now. I also found out that the school i take classes at give discounts.
    Nice! Glad you found what worked .

GregIsARadDude likes this.

I would highly recommend trying Tmobile before you dive in with a financed phone. I jumped ship to them from ATT and only made it a few months before I had to go back to AT&T due to poor coverage where I travelled. Where my home is I had great Tmobile service but a handful of places I travelled to multiple times a year service was absolutely terrible. Tmobile is very very location dependent and can be great or terrible even within a 20 mile radius so try before you buy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snobrdr2324 View Post
    I would highly recommend trying Tmobile before you dive in with a financed phone. I jumped ship to them from ATT and only made it a few months before I had to go back to AT&T due to poor coverage where I travelled. Where my home is I had great Tmobile service but a handful of places I travelled to multiple times a year service was absolutely terrible. Tmobile is very very location dependent and can be great or terrible even within a 20 mile radius so try before you buy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I have somewhat of the opposite issue. My cell service at my (new) home is iffy but everywhere else is great! I'm not worried at home because I'm always on wifi there.

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    I have somewhat of the opposite issue. My cell service at my (new) home is iffy but everywhere else is great! I'm not worried at home because I'm always on wifi there.
    This is my situation as well .

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yeah, Verizon was the worst. I switched to them from ATT and was having issues with my messaging, and spent oodles of time on the phone with customer service and tech support, but what really irked me is that the staff in the store mislead me on international rates. I was having the service issue and knew i was coming up on my hard 14 day return window. On day 12 still having the issue and I went to return the phone and was told that if i swapped out for a new device and sim, and was still having the issue they'd extend the return window. I swapped devices, was still having the problem and the same store told me I was out of luck and they would NOT be extending the return window. finally, after another two weeks and escalating to the District manager they made good on their promise, but all in all it was awful to deal with them.

Likewise i found their CS to be very rude and not helpful. Everytime i spoke to someone I felt as if I was bothering them.

Service wise i didnt really notice much of a difference from ATT