Harman Kardon M8

RRHMJ23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Looks like HTC is releasing a whole other phone for this , I thought this was just a update to the current Sprint model.

RRHMJ23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok. Well i heard earlier that their will be a update for the original m8s. But i guess they decided to just release a whole other phone

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
There is new hardware in the HK version....it will have a 24 bit 192 dac and special amps for the BoomSound speakers...I just read the press release on a topic on XDA.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-rel...et-exclusive-music-offerings-free-spotify.htm

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
All the Sprint M8s have the hardware. The software is just needed to take advantage of it.
gy3e6y7a.jpg

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok...I didn't know we had an HD dac in our OG m8's at 24 bit 192khz...I'd be curious if we did....cause if not then there is a hardware difference.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
Only thing needed to take advantage of it is the updated audio_policy.conf in /system/etc. But yup, we have the hardware.

Of course I guess you could take yours apart and check ;).

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The Sprint press release isn't very clear on what differences there are in hardware. This is from the link posted above:

The new handset is the culmination of a months-long project that Sprint and its partners at HTC and Harman Kardon embarked on to redefine the way people listen to music on their smartphones:

A revolutionary application -- HARMAN?s Clari-Fi -- that restores and ?rebuilds? music fidelity lost during audio compression. The first time in a mobile device, Clari-Fi yields richer, deeper and clearer sound quality for compressed digital music (like MP3 downloads or streaming services like Spotify?).

Lossless HD Audio music reproduction via a 24bit/192kHz DAC that delivers roughly six times the information of compact disc music and 60 times the information of an MP3 or streaming music source when playing high-res digital (FLAC) downloads from sources like HDtracks.com.

The HTC One (M8) Harman Kardon edition features industry-leading sound with HTC?s proprietary front-facing speakers, dedicated custom amps for the speakers and headphones, and the device comes bundled with a custom set of Harman Kardon AE-S headphones with extended bass response -- a $149 retail value. It also boasts up to 160GB of total data storage with a microSD card slot that supports up to 128GB of storage cards on top of the built-in 32GB.

While it clearly says it has clari-fi (which is software) and the 24 bit/192khz dac, that seems to be all. The last paragraph talks about HTC's proprietary front facing speakers and dedicated custom amps, but the thing is all m8's have front facing speakers with dedicated custom amps. It doesn't mention anything about Harmon Kardon specific amps or speakers which leads me to believe that the clari-fi and dac are the only differences, besides the color. That's how I took it, but I could be wrong.

Posted via Android Central App

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This is really ****ty of both HTC and Sprint to stick it to their customers like this. This device should have come out with the original to give Sprint customers choice. Not come out just long enough so that no one can exchange for it. What a joke.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
The Sprint press release isn't very clear on what differences there are in hardware. This is from the link posted above:

The new handset is the culmination of a months-long project that Sprint and its partners at HTC and Harman Kardon embarked on to redefine the way people listen to music on their smartphones:

A revolutionary application -- HARMAN’s Clari-Fi -- that restores and “rebuilds” music fidelity lost during audio compression. The first time in a mobile device, Clari-Fi yields richer, deeper and clearer sound quality for compressed digital music (like MP3 downloads or streaming services like Spotify?).

Lossless HD Audio music reproduction via a 24bit/192kHz DAC that delivers roughly six times the information of compact disc music and 60 times the information of an MP3 or streaming music source when playing high-res digital (FLAC) downloads from sources like HDtracks.com.

The HTC One (M8) Harman Kardon edition features industry-leading sound with HTC’s proprietary front-facing speakers, dedicated custom amps for the speakers and headphones, and the device comes bundled with a custom set of Harman Kardon AE-S headphones with extended bass response -- a $149 retail value. It also boasts up to 160GB of total data storage with a microSD card slot that supports up to 128GB of storage cards on top of the built-in 32GB.

While it clearly says it has clari-fi (which is software) and the 24 bit/192khz dac, that seems to be all. The last paragraph talks about HTC's proprietary front facing speakers and dedicated custom amps, but the thing is all m8's have front facing speakers with dedicated custom amps. It doesn't mention anything about Harmon Kardon specific amps or speakers which leads me to believe that the clari-fi and dac are the only differences, besides the color. That's how I took it, but I could be wrong.

The key there is the DAC. If the M8's current DAC is 24/96 then it's likely that this is just a software thing + headphones. If they are using a new DAC then it's something special.
As far as the software goes, from an engineering perspective, it's not anything to be jealous over. There's a few "tricks" to making it sound less damaged from compression but if you are listening to low quality music in the first place, then the point of this feature is somewhat lost. The language dances around teh fact that it's using the same speakers and amp.
My guess is that that this is a cheap and easy way to boost sales without actually giving much away. If you have decent headphones already, don't worry about missing out this. I do commend HTC for doing things like this though. They need to keep their lead in the smartphone audio field and keep running with it.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
This is really ****ty of both HTC and Sprint to stick it to their customers like this. This device should have come out with the original to give Sprint customers choice. Not come out just long enough so that no one can exchange for it. What a joke.

You should try to understand what this is and what it isn't. Please read above.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The key there is the DAC. If the M8's current DAC is 24/96 then it's likely that this is just a software thing + headphones. If they are using a new DAC then it's something special.
As far as the software goes, from an engineering perspective, it's not anything to be jealous over. There's a few "tricks" to making it sound less damaged from compression but if you are listening to low quality music in the first place, then the point of this feature is somewhat lost. The language dances around teh fact that it's using the same speakers and amp.
My guess is that that this is a cheap and easy way to boost sales without actually giving much away. If you have decent headphones already, don't worry about missing out this. I do commend HTC for doing things like this though. They need to keep their lead in the smartphone audio field and keep running with it.

Yea I wasn't too worried about the software but the DAC is a competent different story. I don't listen to a whole lot of lossless/flac files so it may be irrelevant to me. I still want it though 😒

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox