Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

Default HTC One M8 on AT&T - Ongoing adventure

For those of you that know me, I've had and used many devices in my time. But, mainly the BlackBerry, and lately the Z10 & Q10.
    We're in the middle of a few company mergers at work (we've bought two companies thus far, and more to come apparently), and more and more we're being pushed to test various Android and iOS applications, in addition to developing new tools etc. for users. on the Android and iOS platform. Thus not having an Android device (I have an iPad Air; which thus covers iOS) causes an issue for testing, or even general support.

Anyway...

I've been on the fence between the HTC One M8 and the Samsung Galaxy S5 for a while now. Finally, I just got back from AT&T (it always takes over an hour at an AT&T shop for service etc, why on earth is that? I digress) and I have purchased the HTC One M8.

Currently the device is sitting on the charger. I didn't even let AT&T configure it for me. Seriously, who does that? It almost feels weird not receiving emails, or social media notifications for a few hours.

I'm going to have dinner, then, and only then am I going to start setting up the device. Ah, all those apps to install, settings to set; so much to do...
    Wlctttrue and B0WIE like this.

Default re: HTC One M8 on AT&T - Ongoing adventure

Have fun and glad you chose the m8. Its a fantastic device.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    coronaboy10 likes this.

Navi, you're gonna love it.

I puffy heart mine.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

I hope so! I need to get a case for it. It feels so slippery in my hands. A bit difficult with one hand/finger use at the moment. I guess I simply need to get used to the bigger screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    I hope so! I need to get a case for it. It feels so slippery in my hands. A bit difficult with one hand/finger use at the moment. I guess I simply need to get used to the bigger screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    I wholly recommend the unicorn beetle.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Enjoy the phone, you will love it. Go ahead and download the Google Keyboard or SwiftKey. They will make your typing experience 10 times better. YouTube SwiftKey Flow and you can see how one handed typing is a possibility from your M8.

Make sure you get Google's Now widget up and running. You will learn to love it. The widget will go through your email and notify you when your flights are coming up, and it will tell you how bad traffic is on the way home after it learns your route via passive GPS when driving.

You are going to see a whole new world of awesome. The Q10 is cool in all, but the M8 is way more awesome.

Thanked by:
    rahxephon likes this.

Nice choice.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    Enjoy the phone, you will love it. Go ahead and download the Google Keyboard or SwiftKey. They will make your typing experience 10 times better. YouTube SwiftKey Flow and you can see how one handed typing is a possibility from your M8.

Make sure you get Google's Now widget up and running. You will learn to love it. The widget will go through your email and notify you when your flights are coming up, and it will tell you how bad traffic is on the way home after it learns your route via passive GPS when driving.

You are going to see a whole new world of awesome. The Q10 is cool in all, but the M8 is way more awesome.

You might like SwiftKey better, but you realize you can do the same thing as flow on the stock HTC keyboard right? It's called trace in the settings

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

I just played with trace. Not bad at all. Albeit, I'd hate to get used to it then start using another device that doesn't support it (gadget guy here, always swapping devices).

Now to figure out the 'Sleep Mode'.

Google keyboard is my favorite bar none

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    bucketheadmn likes this.

I actually really like the HTC keyboard. This is the first android phone where I haven't downloaded my paid swift key in years.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

The first app I installed was SwiftKey. Thus I've hardly played with the default keyboard. I guess I should at least try it.

I chose this device because of gestures (slightly similar to BB10), but, I don't like that when unlocking the device, it vibrates. I've been told that this is related to gestures. A shame one can't turn this off.

Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    I actually really like the HTC keyboard. This is the first android phone where I haven't downloaded my paid swift key in years.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

I will try to keep this thread updated as my 'On going adventure' thread on this device. I stole that title from a CrackBerry member. He switched to a Q10 from a Z10, and it is certainly an adventure for him

So far today, I'm monitoring:
    Battery use
    Notification LED's
    Unlocking the device

I want to see how these play out in my daily use of the device. I have to say, thus far I'm not wowed by the device. It has a nice feel to it, albeit VERY slippery (need to get a case later), and I guess I simply need to use it to get used to it.
    After using a BlackBerry for so long (I still have it, need to get a SIM card adapter), Android KitKat was rather overwhelming just to setup the device!

The first app I installed was SwiftKey. Thus I've hardly played with the default keyboard. I guess I should at least try it.

I chose this device because of gestures (slightly similar to BB10), but, I don't like that when unlocking the device, it vibrates. I've been told that this is related to gestures. A shame one can't turn this off.
    Weird. Mine doesn't vibrate when I unlock it.
    Haptic is the first thing I turn off on a phone...
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

I've looked high and low for Haptic, and can't find it! Let me Google it...

Weird. Mine doesn't vibrate when I unlock it.
    Haptic is the first thing I turn off on a phone...
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

Confirmed, Haptic is off.

Do you mean the tiny vibrate it does to show double tap registered? Mine does that...but I like that because it's hard to tell when the double tap registers through the dot matrix case sometimes.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

Yes, Sir. And it will do this if you use the scroll up to unlock, too. I guess that makes sense to give tactile confirmation.

Do you mean the tiny vibrate it does to show double tap registered? Mine does that...but I like that because it's hard to tell when the double tap registers through the dot matrix case sometimes.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

Default Re: HTC One M8 on AT&T - Ongoing adventure

You buy a device, and what normally comes next?

Accessories...

So, I popped down to Best Buy, and bought an Otterbox Commuter case. I've always been an Otterbox lover. Not sure why exactly, but...
    I installed the case, and so far so good. One exception is this, I feel it too, is a little slippery. I guess we will see how it acts over the next few days.

The saga continues...

You buy a device, and what normally comes next?

Accessories...

So, I popped down to Best Buy, and bought an Otterbox Commuter case. I've always been an Otterbox lover. Not sure why exactly, but...
    I installed the case, and so far so good. One exception is this, I feel it too, is a little slippery. I guess we will see how it acts over the next few days.

The saga continues...
    I would highly recommend a glass screen protector. I bought the Zagg one at Best Buy. It's expensive ($40) but has a lifetime warranty and we'll worth every penny imo

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

Not a bad idea. Albeit, I hope with the likes of the Commuter on the device, it doesn't affect the screen protector, well, the edges in particular. I also think there were some screen protectors in the Otterbox packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    I would highly recommend a glass screen protector. I bought the Zagg one at Best Buy. It's expensive ($40) but has a lifetime warranty and we'll worth every penny imo

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

I know you mentioned that you are not wowed by the phone at this point. I can tell you from personal experience that I am always underwhelmed when getting a new phone because there is only so much you can do when just getting it set up.

However, I end up falling in love with phones in those moments where you need to quickly Google something or get an automatic flight update from Google Now or when you realize that you just texted 10 people 1000 times throughout the day or when you send a hundred emails from the awesome Gmail app or from your Activesync account in the native email app or entering a dozen meetings into your Google Calendar. You don't realize how much you love this phone until a few weeks into owning it and it handles so much of your daily life.

Your app selection is going to be a lot larger than the BlackBerry world. You will find just about everything you need.

Also, go download the following apps:

Google Drive

Google Calendar (put the widget on one of your screens)

Quickoffice (made by Google and connects directly to your Google Drive); I know BlackBerry owners are all about getting work done and you will be amazed by how much more you can get done through Quickoffice and Google Drive than you could fathom on a BlackBerry).

Flixster

Netflix

The Verge

Android Central App

Crackberry App

IMDB

Slacker

Pandora

CNN

CNET

Also, activate the Google Now widget and get that onto your main screen (resize it to leave one row of app icons above your bottom row that is always there). You will be amazed by how awesome it is as it learns what you like. Also, if you sync your chrome browser on your PC with Gmail, then things you search on your computer will also be on your phone and certain things will pop up in your Google Now widget.

Thanked by 2:
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

Bear in mind, I'm a gadget guy, and thus I've tried and used many devices. Albeit, I'm a die-hard BlackBerry user, I'm still very versed with Android, iOS and the plethora of apps available on both OS'.

But, I'm not much of an app person. I typically mainly use Evernote, Email, SMS, TapaTalk and the browser. Once I have those apps, I'm fine. It because of this from time to time I've often asked myself if I even need a smartphone...

You will love the amount of RAM over the S5's!

I ordered a glas.tr nano screen protector today. I'm done using cheap *** plastic protectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast