HTC M8 metal body scratches and paint layers

zacksparrow

May 1, 2014
Visit site
good day every body ..
its been a while im searching for an answer for this question but i havent got lucky ..

ok first i own a red M7 and the most thing i didnt like about it was that .. the red color was simply a paint over a silver aluminum and though it was wrapped in covers and protectors from day one it never survived few dents in the red color showing the main silver paint ..
now im in the process of trading my m7 for an M8 but im after a color that can withstand those unlucky dents and scratches ..
im talking here about the color that can survive those unfortunate events same as the silver m7 .. i can remember that the silver did well with scratches cos simply their wasnt a paint the dents uncovered ..
im leaning towards the gun metal but i can pick the silver if it has the same case as the m7 ..

does any body here have an idea about what color shall i proceed with ?

regards .

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Silver, if/when the gunmetal scratches, it will be silver (metal color) underneath.

Posted via Android Central App

zacksparrow

May 1, 2014
Visit site
this what i was afraid from .. the last color i wanted to settle for was the silver since its almost identical to the M7..
but ive had a terrible experience with the red color and although im seriously sick of pampering my items sill it had dents and scratches which showed the main silver color of the body ..

Sim Singh5

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
hi , I got small scratches on the bottom of the speakers , ( the shiny silver covering ) is there any way to fix that any polish or anything ? . Appreciate your response.

Htc for Life

Jeff Harris

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Just sand it down to silver, you'll have better grip, and would probably look cool!

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC One M8

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
The gunmetal has a very strong clear coat so if you scratch it, it's protected and will stay the same, nice finish color and texture. If the clear gets scuffed, just buff it. Based on the videos I've seen, you'd have to get extremely aggressive with it to get past the clear, keys and knives didn't do it.

zacksparrow

May 1, 2014
Visit site
The gunmetal has a very strong clear coat so if you scratch it, it's protected and will stay the same, nice finish color and texture. If the clear gets scuffed, just buff it. Based on the videos I've seen, you'd have to get extremely aggressive with it to get past the clear, keys and knives didn't do it.

so its not a thin layer of paint like the m7 ? actually my red m7 was never placed in my pocket and its always in a cover and in my hand never fell and though of all that the back got dings which instantly showed the silver lining those dings was probably from the sand particles that get stuck between the back cover and the back of phone .. and this is really ridiculous that a phone by that price get scratched this easy ...
hopefully the paint job on the m8 is of a higher quality since it was damn terrible on the m7 ..

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
so its not a thin layer of paint like the m7 ? actually my red m7 was never placed in my pocket and its always in a cover and in my hand never fell and though of all that the back got dings which instantly showed the silver lining those dings was probably from the sand particles that get stuck between the back cover and the back of phone .. and this is really ridiculous that a phone by that price get scratched this easy ...
hopefully the paint job on the m8 is of a higher quality since it was damn terrible on the m7 ..

No, not at all. The aluminum is brushed, then anodized, and coated in a clear, protective (acrylic?) layer for protection. They did a great job on the M8 gunmetal. I don't use a case and I have no scratches. Today, I knocked it into a metal door frame at the post office when I went to grab a closing door. Can't even tell where the phone hit it

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey what do u suggest me to go about my query . Thanks

Post a pic of the damaged area and I'll let you know the best method for your particular issue. I've done some metal working and know a little about how to repair/hide surface damage

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Were that my phone... I'd do nothing. Just too small.

But, I understand your position. "Magic Markers" come in all kinds of colors. (Office supply stores) get one that matches closely and apply only to the scratched area. It will draw your eyes away from the damage.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I most probably going to buy the M8 and that was my fear with the gun metal. I love the colour, but feared the scratching on it. My IP5 had that issue with scratching had it in a case and the sides and the back was full of small dings.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Not to step on anyone's suggestions but you don't want to paint on or color bare metal. On that lip area, you could use an automotive wet/dry sandpaper to make the area uniform. 1500 to 2500 grit would be the range you'd want for that particular area. What you would basically be doing is brushing the metal back to the stock look. Personally, I wouldn't even bother because those are so insignificant.

Sim Singh5

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
You are absolutely right , but I don't understand why they occurred in the first . Ever since I bought this phone, I have put it in the cover give by HTC .