If HTC wanted to, can they push an OTA update to add a File Explorer?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If I have an unlocked device on AT&T, I assume I get Android updates the normal way, through the carrier.
Does HTC also push their own updates to Sense or the on-board stuff?
Anyone think there's a chance they could issue their own stock file explorer?
Thanks

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
If I have an unlocked device on AT&T, I assume I get Android updates the normal way, through the carrier.
Does HTC also push their own updates to Sense or the on-board stuff?
Anyone think there's a chance they could issue their own stock file explorer?
Thanks

It's certainly possible. They do have some of their own apps up in the Play Store to make it easier to update certain functions of the phone without needing to wait on the carrier's approval for a mass OTA update.

Any reason you would want an HTC file browser vs. using one of the options in the Play Store?

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure they could... but, don't know if they will.
Not sure any HTC phones have had native file explorer apps.

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I use ASTRO file manager and it works fine with out the BS other file manager have.

And htc already has some apps on the app store.

Posted via Android Central App on the HTC One M8

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Polaris 5 is on the ATT phone but they hid it for some unknown and frustrating reason. It's searchable through Google search but will not show up in your app drawer, nor can it be made to show up there through normal means.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's certainly possible. They do have some of their own apps up in the Play Store to make it easier to update certain functions of the phone without needing to wait on the carrier's approval for a mass OTA update.

Any reason you would want an HTC file browser vs. using one of the options in the Play Store?

Because of KitKat 4.4.2.
Google has killed most of the functionality of the microSD card.
Any THIRD-PARTY (Non Google or HTC) may/will have issues.
Third party apps are limited to writing, and reading from, folders that the app itself has created.
So a photo editing app cannot go to your external sd\photos because it did not crate that app. Similar with anything else.
INCLUDING file explorers! Which we see as basic user interface...being able to move folders and files around/copy/delete, etc.
But KK see this the same way as an app trying to access a folder that it's not "allowed to".

So you cannot use something like ES Explorer that way it worked (well!) in JB.
AND...because HTC did not include a stock file explorer (as Samsung does)...there's no way to access and work with files between internal and external memory the way you're used to doing it.

Since HTC obviously know far ahead of release that they were using KK, it seem like a huge oversight that they neglected to include this basic and essential app on-board.
I'm hoping they realize the error and push out their own "app" for this so I don't have to root.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Polaris 5 is on the ATT phone but they hid it for some unknown and frustrating reason. It's searchable through Google search but will not show up in your app drawer, nor can it be made to show up there through normal means.

Yeah- I heard that. That's very odd.
I think there's a major shift going on to remove functionality of the external sd card. Manufacturers and google and developers each have a different viewpoint and set of vested interests, but it seems pretty clear that they all would like to eliminate it. (I could go into it all but it's probably fairly obvious) And if some (non-apple) consumers are still demanding external SD on phones, they will put it there but they're not going to make it fun or easy for you. Eventually they're going to conspire on a way to kill it completely.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'm getting the phone unlocked so Polaris wont be on it anyway.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping they realize the error and push out their own "app" for this so I don't have to root.

I wasn't 100% sure when I had posted if they had created an app, but upon checking an XDA thread, it looks like they did have one (HTC File Manager) that was removed. I didn't install it (as I'm already rooted w/ SD fix), but it may be an option.

EDIT: It's a zip, but I haven't downloaded to see if it was just an .apk in a Zip or if it needed flashing...

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Because of KitKat 4.4.2.
Google has killed most of the functionality of the microSD card.
Any THIRD-PARTY (Non Google or HTC) may/will have issues.
Third party apps are limited to writing, and reading from, folders that the app itself has created.
So a photo editing app cannot go to your external sd\photos because it did not crate that app. Similar with anything else.
INCLUDING file explorers! Which we see as basic user interface...being able to move folders and files around/copy/delete, etc.
But KK see this the same way as an app trying to access a folder that it's not "allowed to".

So you cannot use something like ES Explorer that way it worked (well!) in JB.
AND...because HTC did not include a stock file explorer (as Samsung does)...there's no way to access and work with files between internal and external memory the way you're used to doing it.

Since HTC obviously know far ahead of release that they were using KK, it seem like a huge oversight that they neglected to include this basic and essential app on-board.

I just tried it and Snapseed is able to use pictures off my sd card

Posted via Android Central App

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it and Snapseed is able to use pictures off my sd card

Hmmm, interesting. Was that app updated recently? I wonder if developers are finding partial work-arounds?
From what I have read it seemed like a universal approach android was implementing.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't 100% sure when I had posted if they had created an app, but upon checking an XDA thread, it looks like they did have one (HTC File Manager) that was removed. I didn't install it (as I'm already rooted w/ SD fix), but it may be an option.

EDIT: It's a zip, but I haven't downloaded to see if it was just an .apk in a Zip or if it needed flashing...

And how's that working out? Any loss of functionality elsewhere in the platform/device?

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
And how's that working out? Any loss of functionality elsewhere in the platform/device?

With rooting fixes?

Honestly, I've heard rumblings about SD card issues on KitKat since it came out, but never read into really what the issues were. Like I heard that the 4.4 update on the GPE S4 broke SD card features but didn't look into what really happened. Probably because my current phone didn't have an SD Card then.

So since this is my first KK phone w/ SD Card, and I flashed a custom ROM pretty quickly, I don't know what's been "fixed", but I just know that I'm not experiencing anything out of the ordinary.

That's probably not very useful for you, sorry =\

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
With rooting fixes?

Honestly, I've heard rumblings about SD card issues on KitKat since it came out, but never read into really what the issues were. Like I heard that the 4.4 update on the GPE S4 broke SD card features but didn't look into what really happened. Probably because my current phone didn't have an SD Card then.

So since this is my first KK phone w/ SD Card, and I flashed a custom ROM pretty quickly, I don't know what's been "fixed", but I just know that I'm not experiencing anything out of the ordinary.

That's probably not very useful for you, sorry =\

Yeah-rooting and custom ROM will get around this issue.
Rooting + the app SD Fix will do it too.
Obviously I'd rather not roof it this is the ONLY reason I want to do it.
It's absolutely annoying because HTC should have included an explorer if they knew KK was going to hamper the SD card and other third-party explorer apps would not work.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
How did you get it to install. Keeps failing on mine. VZW M8

Armadillo, the other white meat.

How did I install Snapseed? I downloaded it and it installed. I don't know what I'm doing differently than you but it worked just fine for me

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
The way you worded it after the previous post made it sound like you installed the file explorer that's posted at xda and that's what was helping to make the other program work..... And it was late 😏

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah-rooting and custom ROM will get around this issue.
Rooting + the app SD Fix will do it too.
Obviously I'd rather not roof it this is the ONLY reason I want to do it.
It's absolutely annoying because HTC should have included an explorer if they knew KK was going to hamper the SD card and other third-party explorer apps would not work.

Yeah, though I'm not sure if it's totally HTC's fault, or if it is really on the Carriers' end, just like the absence of Extreme Power Saver and stuff.

I don't know if any of our international users here have a File Explorer or if anyone else with an unlocked device (aka non-carrier branded) has it.

The file I did link to would only be for root users anyway, as it's not an installable .apk, unfortunately. Maybe someone can pull it out, but I dunno. =\

The way you worded it after the previous post made it sound like you installed the file explorer that's posted at xda and that's what was helping to make the other program work..... And it was late ��

Sorry, I think that file is only able to be installed via flashing with custom recovery, as it isn't a straight up APK.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The way you worded it after the previous post made it sound like you installed the file explorer that's posted at xda and that's what was helping to make the other program work..... And it was late 😏

All good, no worries.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800