Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Mount USB Storage :: Greyed Out ::

Hello humans...

I come from the iOS world. I had the iPhone 5 and now ... proud owner of the HTC M8

I came to android for a variety of reasons...

one of them was the ease of using my phone as a storage unit.

my jailbroken iPhone allowed me to do this.

my android device does not... i cannot switch that feature on.
    i keep reading around the internet but i can't quite grasp why this feature does not activate ????????

can someone help the new guy ?

Default Re: Mount USB Storage :: Greyed Out ::

I will try with my Seagate when I get home.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by archerr86 View Post
    Hello humans...

I come from the iOS world. I had the iPhone 5 and now ... proud owner of the HTC M8

I came to android for a variety of reasons...

one of them was the ease of using my phone as a storage unit.

my jailbroken iPhone allowed me to do this.

my android device does not... i cannot switch that feature on.
    i keep reading around the internet but i can't quite grasp why this feature does not activate ????????

can someone help the new guy ?

I plugged in my Seagate and it was saying it wasn't a supported device. The mount storage option in the settings was not grayed out when I plugged it in and it let me press it, but it wouldn't do anything. USB otg support is very spotty between different android devices. With root, however, you may be able to get it to work.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I don't know how to root

Wait - are you asking how you use your phone as a mass storage device? Because you can't (its a little annoying).

Or are you asking how to mount a USB device to your phone via an OTG cable?

The greyed out 'mount usb' option will un-grey itself when you plug in a USB storage device to the phone (via an OTG cable)

Quote Originally Posted by archerr86 View Post
    I don't know how to root
    You don't need to root your device to get it to be used as a mass storage device. Where are you finding this greyed out option... describe it... Settings > Storage, or where? Do you have an SD Card in your device or are you just wanting to see the device storage?

HI. I wanted to know how to connect my USB / Pendrive Storage Device with my M8 - already have the cable. Which setting to see ??

Thank you.

My M8 reads USB drives without a root, but it is kinda annoying and buggy, as USB is not always detected, and even when it is, it disconnects so often.

One more point, you can't copy/paste anything from the USB drive to the M8 SD card, unless you have root access, however, without root access you can still copy files from the USB to the M8 internal memory.

OP, sorry to disappoint you, but the mount USB feature is not there to allow you to use your M8 as a storage if that is what you are looking for. As that feature is there to allow your M8 to read USB drives contents.

To connect a USB drive to your M8 you need a (male mini USB to female USB) adapter. Or you can simply buy a Dual USB drive.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by Davisen Davy View Post
    HI. I wanted to know how to connect my USB / Pendrive Storage Device with my M8 - already have the cable. Which setting to see ??

Thank you.
    You don't really need to touch any settings, once you connect the USB drive to your M8 you should see a triangle icon on the status bar, in the notification center you should see the message (Phone is in USB host mode) Now, open HTC File Manager, and swipe to USB Storage.

As you see it should get automatically connected, if it doesn't, then it is either not recognized or not supported, still to try to connect it manually, go to Settings, Storage, Mount USB Storage.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by Deathunter-M8 View Post

One more point, you can't copy/paste anything from the USB drive to the M8 SD card, unless you have root access, however, without root access you can still copy files from the USB to the M8 internal memory.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    I'm currently using a Sony 32GB Microvault USB Flash Drive for Smartphone ,,,,

This connects fine and is recognized by the phone. Once it's plugged in, the USB storage becomes active.

At this point, I can transfer files to both my SD card and Internal. I use the Sony app to do this, but my file manager also allows me to do this. I am using an unrooted phone.

Once the files have been moved, I just unmount the USB and all is good.

Lego

Quote Originally Posted by Legobricke View Post
    I'm currently using a Sony 32GB Microvault USB Flash Drive for Smartphone ,,,,

This connects fine and is recognized by the phone. Once it's plugged in, the USB storage becomes active.

At this point, I can transfer files to both my SD card and Internal. I use the Sony app to do this, but my file manager also allows me to do this. I am using an unrooted phone.

Once the files have been moved, I just unmount the USB and all is good.

Lego
    Interesting, so is it possible that the problem is from my SD card? Or it could be that HTC has a restriction on that, strangely they allow copying to the internal memory. So back to the problem could be from my SD card.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by Deathunter-M8 View Post
    Interesting, so is it possible that the problem is from my SD card? Or it could be that HTC has a restriction on that, strangely they allow copying to the internal memory. So back to the problem could be from my SD card.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    That could be a possible....

Just to be sure.... I just plugged in my Sony USB stick.... Copied music it is.... Plugged it into my M8 and moved the files from the stick to my Music folder on my sd card without a problem. I then played the music from the card, so I know it works...