Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default Android & M8 Newbie questions

Hi, I've recently moved from another platform that didn't allow any customisation and have a few questions regarding android and the M8.
    1) I've noticed in the play store there are lots of apps for reclaiming phone RAM and memory, are these needed on the M8 or does the phone do it all itself? I mostly close apps so very rarely have any running in the background.

2)i understand that widgets can cause extra battery drain, does this include the widgets that some apps put in the pull down notification menu? Or do they only access the app when you pull down the notification menu?

Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Android & M8 Newbie questions

1. Those apps are most certainly not needed. They're also becoming less and less recommended to use. The android system handles memory management very well.

2. Those are called persistent notifications. Apps that have those may include weather apps, quick toggle apps, battery monitoring apps, those so called ram manager apps, and so on. If its a weather app that puts a persistent notification there, sure it can use a little extra battery because it'll automatically refresh itself every so often. But most of those apps shouldn't have too much of an effect on battery. Just be cautious of what your downloading and if you notice you battery draining even more than usual, always retrace back to the last apps you downloaded.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Apps that clean out RAM include reviews that say they make the phone faster. You can clear space on the M8 in the application menu in settings, but other than that, I don't believe the phone will clear out RAM by itself.

However (on a different note) I've heard that Android works on the concept of regulating the phone based on the number of apps open, and that installing an app to close apps contradicts how the operating system works.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can provide more insight.

Empty ram is wasted ram. Simple as that.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Great, thanks for your help and expertise.. I'll stay well clear of any such apps and thanks for explaining the notifications to me

I've been using CleanMaster. I get updates every few days that I need to clean up. It's a pita, and I'd love to uninstall. Any reason why I should keep it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoav8r View Post
    I've been using CleanMaster. I get updates every few days that I need to clean up. It's a pita, and I'd love to uninstall. Any reason why I should keep it?
    Absolutely none.