Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default why the HK M8?

Why would HTC/HK release a whole new phone instead of giving the original M8 update ?

Default Re: why the HK M8?

Marketing.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

hardware is identical. I'm sure there will be a hack in the near future to get HK features for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    hardware is identical. I'm sure there will be a hack in the near future to get HK features for everyone else.
    There already is for all Sprint versions. You can download the Rom that unlocks these software enhancements

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

There is already. Search XDA for it. It's there.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I would use the roms but I don't know what to do with them or how to install them
    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I would use the roms but I don't know what to do with them or how to install them
    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RRHMJ23 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You have to be rooted and running a custom recovery in order to flash them.

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts

Are any of them actually working or doing anything noticeable? From what I read on xda changing the xml file didn't offer any noticeable changes.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app
    RRHMJ23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    Are any of them actually working or doing anything noticeable? From what I read on xda changing the xml file didn't offer any noticeable changes.

Just changing the default.xml file in the stock ROM will enable the menu settings, but will not enable the actual equalizers, because the necessary files are not included in the stock kernel. You have to flash the HK ROM and kernel to enable everything on a non-HK phone. And reports are that the settings do make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post

Based on what it says it does, it's likely trying to filling in information that is lost in compression. That's not something that is going to be night and day, or necessarily even be an improvement depending on the quality of the music you're listening to. If it has other aspects to it, like fixed equalization a la Beats and Boomsound, then a lot of people won't like it because the idea of a universal EQ setting for all music is flawed.
    Skyway likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I contacted my local Sprint store about the HK M8 availability and they told me next week. I asked them if there would be a actual ota update to bring these features to the OG m8 and they said they will have a HTC rep in the Store next week and will ask them. To call back n a week. So hopefully we will get Good News
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

I contacted my local Sprint store about the HK M8 availability and they told me next week. I asked them if there would be a actual ota update to bring these features to the OG m8 and they said they will have a HTC rep in the Store next week and will ask them. To call back n a week. So hopefully we will get Good News
    It's highly doubtful you'll get an OTA to enable HK audio. The rep just either didn't know (as they usually don't) or was just giving you an answer to pacify you. Don't hold your breath on an OTA for HK audio because it's highly unlikely.
    jayrod88 likes this.
    USAF Veteran

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts

I wouldn't count on it. I will sell mine and buy the HK edition mostly for the color scheme.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I wonder if they will Let u trade the OG M8 for the new one
    Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    I wouldn't count on it. I will sell mine and buy the HK edition mostly for the color scheme.

Honestly, I don't like what hTc (and Samsung) is doing.

I know technology moves fast this is ridiculous , weeks after releasing their flagship we get this HK and soon apparently more color options.
    imnraged likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post

I know technology moves fast this is ridiculous , weeks after releasing their flagship we get this HK and soon apparently more color options.
    Why? This isn't really an improvement or upgrade and, naturally, they're going to do more colors later on to keep interest up.
    Thanked by 2:
    A895trandz 
    coronaboy10 and A895 like this.

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post

You can have it too. Fully Working Harman / Kardon "conversion" for all HTC ONE M8 variants! - May 05 - xda-developers

I've downloaded and flashed this via TWRP. It seems to replace BoomSound. The compression is a little better. Not much else. I'll keep though.

Sent from my s-off'd, unlocked and rooted BAMF M8 with the viper venom.
    Sent from my s-off'd, unlocked and rooted BAMF M8 with the viper venom
    Thanked by:
    B0WIE 
    coronaboy10 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

It's highly doubtful you'll get an OTA to enable HK audio. The rep just either didn't know (as they usually don't) or was just giving you an answer to pacify you. Don't hold your breath on an OTA for HK audio because it's highly unlikely.
    we'll see. the tech is already there on the phones.
    My cell phone history for the last decade.

2005/2006: Motorola W315, Motorola razr
    2007: Motorola W385
    2008: HTC shadow
    2009/2010: Motorola i335, Motorola i9, Blackbery 8330,
    2010: HTC EVO 4G
    2011: HTC EVO 3D, HTC rezound
    2012: HTC EVO LTE
    2014: HTC ONE M8.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

is it hard to do those roms and hacks in order to obtain the HK features. I'm not good with that stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS_HTC_PS View Post
    I've downloaded and flashed this via TWRP. It seems to replace BoomSound. The compression is a little better. Not much else. I'll keep though.

is it hard to do those roms and hacks in order to obtain the HK features. I'm not good with that stuff
    I'm pretty adept in that aspect of Android. If you go to XDAs website the tutorials they have on there are pretty noob friendly. If you have any questions you feel are not being addressed there. Then there is always this community of awesome people to help out too. There is even a forum section on Android central for the M8 Rom rooting and hacks. I was always told, you can't catch fish if you don't go fishing. And there's all kinds of different fish for this phone. As long as your able to follow instructions to the tee, you can do it.

coronaboy10 likes this.

So the sound on my Sony surround home theater system is way better with this software. The clarity and compression is amazing. Switching back and forth between On/Off in the settings while playing music, you can hear the difference. Same with the included ear buds that came with the M8! Better than BoomSound.

Thanked by:

I just ordered an M8/HK from Amazon for $199. Sprint (Non HK is $149).... Should be here on Wednesday. I am an audio engineer, both live and studio and I'm sure it's a very subtle difference.. but I'll let you know when I get a chance to listen.
    MIKE
    HTC ONE M8 HK Edition

Quote Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
    I just ordered an M8/HK from Amazon for $199. Sprint (Non HK is $149).... Should be here on Wednesday. I am an audio engineer, both live and studio and I'm sure it's a very subtle difference.. but I'll let you know when I get a chance to listen.
    I'm sure there's a difference, but is it "better" when listening to well transferred music? As an engineer, I'm sure you know that universal enhancements tend to be a negative to the discriminating ear.

Will be interested in hearing what people think of it.

What's the difference anyway ? I bought mine in the Hong Kong Airport and I'm loving it except that I can't remove some Chinese apps (e.g. Sina Weibo)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast