Storing Music on SD Card?

Caleb10E

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
So my 64GB microSD card just came in so I can store my 45GB of music all on my M8. However, the music app becomes slow and even completely unresponsive whenever I try and look through my music. Third-party apps like DoubleTwist have the same issue. I'm not sure what the problem is and if there's any solution to make it run faster.

Anyone else have any trouble with storing music on their external storage?

Edit: It was not the SD card or anything, it was simply the music players I was trying to use (HTC's music app & DoubleTwist). PowerAmp has been great and butter-smooth. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Last edited:

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Another vote for Play Music. Works great and with no crashes. The HTC Music app is not good and crashes a lot..

Caleb10E

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I think having over 5600 songs has something to do with it. I had been using Play Music but I wanted to be able to store all of my music locally on my phone. I'm gonna try using Play Music to cache my music to the card instead. Thanks for the input everyone!

Posted via Android Central App

mcox1124

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
What sd card do you have? They come in different classes and the slower ones will have latency issues like you're having.

Pull your card out and you'll see a number on it. User this as a guide: https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

I have a UHS Speed Class 1 and don't have any issues.

Have you also formatted the card from the phone? Might try that, too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I think having over 5600 songs has something to do with it. I had been using Play Music but I wanted to be able to store all of my music locally on my phone. I'm gonna try using Play Music to cache my music to the card instead. Thanks for the input everyone!

Posted via Android Central App

Play music will read any music files that you have store locally on your phone as well.

Caleb10E

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
So I finally decided to give PowerAmp a try. Problem solved! Everything is super snappy, and I'm blown away by how much stuff it lets you customize, such as the widget, lock screen overlay, and music folders. This amazes me how HTC's own music app and DoubleTwist can be so slow handling the same music library. Thank you everyone for the help!

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
So I finally decided to give PowerAmp a try. Problem solved! Everything is super snappy, and I'm blown away by how much stuff it lets you customize, such as the widget, lock screen overlay, and music folders. This amazes me how HTC's own music app and DoubleTwist can be so slow handling the same music library. Thank you everyone for the help!

I've tried lots of different music apps and always ended up back on Poweramp.
Glad it's ok now :)

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd say you have a slow card. 5000 songs on a UHS class 1 and the HTC player works great. You may have just been experiencing slowdowns because when it first builds the library it goes out to the web to download cover art and lyrics also. I didn't realize this when I got the phone and it killed me on data. Verizon ended up crediting me 2 gigs since there was not so much as a warning anywhere and stupidly that feature is on by default but Wi-Fi only is not selected by default. Geniuses.

Armadillo, the other white meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech