Wanted to love the HTC One m8, but too many issues

alyled

May 5, 2014
Visit site
My volume rocker is definitely loose. I don't want to send it back in. Hope I don't regret it later. Otherwise, from a physical perspective, the phone is perfect.

robroy911

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I just pulled my case off and I see what people are talking about with the loose volume rocker. I am not worried about it though. If it fails I will get it replaced. I am also outside of the return / replace window. What is the warranty period for the phone for hardware failure?

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
That happens when someone reads about others problems then start inspecting their own device and realize they do have the same issues. Something that would never be a problem if the seed wasn't planted by reading other peoples problems

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have been a big promoter and advocate of the HTC One M8. I got it on launch day however noticed the following issues over the last week.

1. Top of the screen was not flush and you could see a thin line of white glue at the top
2. Speaker grills at top and bottom had some white glue in them. Some holes were punched through all the way with many on the right side not.
3. Loose volume rocker
4. Scratch on back camera lens. Always had the phone in a case and treated and handled it with a lot of care.

I called HTC to inquire on if the rocker should at all be loose. It felt firm when I first got it and they said the rocker should be firm and that it should not create any sort of rattle. I told them out of the 10 phones I have seen in various stores all but one were loose and rattled so I figured it was by design. They were firm in saying absolutely not. The overall customer service experience with them was horrible. First guy was brutal so I called back and the second wasn't any better. Needless to say I traded it to a friend for an iPhone 5s and will use that until I can have a good look at the Sony Z2.

Really wanted to love the phone but the build issues and really poor customer service held me from continuing to.

For those who have a solid build without issues, you have an amazing phone. Could be the phone of the year.
The only issue I have right now with this phone is......... this thread?! If you can point out a better phone by no means post it. If you investigate the adhesive of the use on the phone. You would see Elmer's Glue is not on the list. Sorry about your issues, but I would have to say you have a limon of a phone.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The only issue I have right now with this phone is......... this thread?! If you can point out a better phone by no means post it. If you investigate the adhesive of the use on the phone. You would see Elmer's Glue is not on the list. Sorry about your issues, but I would have to say you have a limon of a phone.

If I didn't like my G Flex I wouldn't have gotten it instead >.>

But brand forums are not a place to advertise *unrelated brands*, so if you want to know more come to the other subforum. OP surely has an atypical device, and it's bad that so many small gripes met in one place...but the question is did it make calls, play music and go online? Something needs to be broken, you don't return a car because the fully functional dashboard has casting marks.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
You are telling me you would invest in a high end smartphone and settle for all of these issues? Come on man, no way! And, even if you would it is my choice as a consumer to not be alright with it and I wasn't.

As I said in my original post, those with a solid build M8 have what I feel will be the Android phone of the year. No questions about it.

But brand forums are not a place to advertise *unrelated brands*, so if you want to know more come to the other subforum. OP surely has an atypical device, and it's bad that so many small gripes met in one place...but the question is did it make calls, play music and go online? Something needs to be broken, you don't return a car because the fully functional dashboard has casting marks.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
You are telling me you would invest in a high end smartphone and settle for all of these issues? Come on man, no way! And, even if you would it is my choice as a consumer to not be alright with it and I wasn't.

As I said in my original post, those with a solid build M8 have what I feel will be the Android phone of the year. No questions about it.

No, I too feel that so many issues in one phone is unacceptable even if most of them are - currently - cosmetic. Especially unacceptable at launch prices. That said, once out of the return period one's options quickly begin to dwindle. This is why I severely abuse each new device and check for various weaknesses.

Both demo M8s that I looked at again today had loose buttons but neither had a cracked camera shield or visible adhesive residue. I restarted a bunch of devices for the shop kids too, they had this Nexus 7 with almost 1000 hours (!!) of run time logged.

My phone is going about 60-70 hours per charge with Knockon disabled. Including roiughly five hours of screen on (lte browsing or camera related) and quite a lot of phone calls thru a bluetooth headset. Thus far no surprises and no common complaints in the device subforum. For laughs I let it run the 10hr version of "they're taking the hobbits to isengard" thru the youtube app on wifi, and there was still plenty of charge left afterward.

But it's not metal and its weakness with low light photos is directly opposed to the M8 being rather good for dim indoor Facebook shots. Two very different machines with very different users.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Before going intoT-Mobile to look at the M8 , I checked the forums for issues. When I got there I saw just about all of the hardware defects that people were complaining about on the display unit. Now, of course the display units aren't always in the best condition, but I did see the things that the OP listed. I also agree With another poster that said it isn't the best idea to get a new device at launch. There are usually hardware and software issues and they are generally rectified after a Couple of months. I am anxiously awaiting the Note 4, but I won't be getting it at launch. Will wait a Couple of months when things are sorted out and accessories are available.

Sent from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...yeah, it's spectacular.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You're somewhat incorrect.. You can fully talk about other phones if the thread warrants it. Such as the OP is done with the M8 due to defects so... The other person asked what phone would be better?

I am sad to see he had so many issues. I loved my M7 and got rid of it mainly due to battery charge.. It was very slow and I drained the phone to fast with my usage... So I went to the Note 3 for the quicker charge ... And then fell in love with the screen.... Then discovered replaceable batteries.

Since they have fixed the M8 charging it has me interested.. If i didn't just spend a bunch of money on a few other things I'd most likely have the M8 in my arsenal right now :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The thing is countless times I have bought electronics on launch and had issues. I always find that waiting 2 month after release your chances of getting a device with no issues is much higher.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Then at the moment I would definitely suggest the Flex or oddly enough the M7, and a Note 3 is still on the table.

M7: Interface, screen, similar camera and well understood issues. And suddenly it seems like they're $0 on contract at all the shops in my area. And don't forget the speakers tho of course the M8's are even better.

G Flex: Arguably the sleekest phone you would ever consider not putting in a case, between the scratch resistance and drop resistance. I wouldn't say the curve is cinematic esp because it has ONE speaker on the REAR, but it doesn't try to escape your pocket and I like how it fits my hand and face. More one handed improvements than the Mega. As I said the low light photos are weeeak but bright shots are good/great and it has gimmicks like 4K video, high fps and 'guided rear camera selfies'. This may sound odd but I often set it face down, there are some neat advantages to doing so. The dot count is not a problem for me but my god you can read the fonts from ten feet away, could been a tad smaller in some apps?

Note 3: To me the most unique feature is how much it packs in at this size and weight, when you factor in that it's also the only game in town for a modern stylus phone (unless you score a Galaxy Round). Camera setup is one of the best on Android, tho M8's ludricrous 5mpx front camera is a neat trick. 4K, high fps, etc on video. There are many who like the Note and especially a group who have no alternative that meets their needs (PDA generation?). Also you know...Touchwiz, but I hear they've got ROMs for that if it really bugs you.

Other thoughts, the M7 I feel fared better than the S4 and Note 3 during the 4.4 rollout, maybe I am mistaken but that is my impression. Right now my Flex seems to have zero nasty surprises but we're getting 4.4 right now. I guess within another week it will be known whether the update breaks things for us too. I mean that SD problem is a kille- wait, no SD no problem ;) And I have a big Dropbox share pool as a backup thanks to my Tab 3 7.0 LTE tablet.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Thank you to everyone else. I am not angered about what happened, just disappointed as I really wanted to love the phone. Still feel it will be the Android phone of the year.
You have a one year warranty, you can return it. The M7 is awesome too. People still ask me what it is because it looks great (no case).

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think these are "issues."

None of them interfere with your usage of the phone.

So yeah, maybe you had some holes covered up..... You still had the absolute best speaker of any phone out there, and now you have switched to a phone with one faux grill that looks like a speaker but actually isn't at all a speaker. Which one is worse?

Volume rockers are a bit lose on One units. Yes, but not anywhere near lose enough that it will fall off or affect the functionality of the unit.

Just saying.

Posted via Android Central App

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Quote removed by moderator.

Not trying to start an argument, but he has the right to be picky. After all, it's HIS money he's spending

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to start an argument, but he has the right to be picky. After all, it's HIS money he's spending

But nothing is perfect and you are never gonna be happy if you are always picky about stuff.

Posted via Android Central App on the HTC One M8

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But nothing is perfect and you are never gonna be happy if you are always picky about stuff.

Posted via Android Central App on the HTC One M8

Those few things were enough for his level of picky to return the phone is all. If it bothers him.. It bothers him. I'm sure every phone we all have ever owned there were things we didn't like... We only returned if those things were a deal breaker for us.

Always remember what is a deal breaker for him.. May not be for you. We all use our phones different so some people look for specific things in phones.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks