Next Generation of HTC One - 2K Display?

TechTube14

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone!

The HTC One M8 is a great phone with a very sharp display. So rumours are going around saying that the next generation HTC One is expected to have UHD 2K display. Do you think thats going to happen ? In this video, I will explain when 2K Smartphones might start appearing and what the advantages and disadvantages are and what companies are involved!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPn7vKxVg6o

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
What's the point of a 2k display on a 5-6" screen?
No one can see the pixels with a 1080 small screen so 2k is just a waste of CPU and battery.

Doesn't mean they won't do it just to be better than their rivals but it's still utterly pointless from practical perspective.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
G3 will be the first phone out with a 2k display for USA. The battery life will be interesting. What's the point? Couldn't answer that myself. The screen is not big enough to warrant packing the pixels any denser than they already are, but the screens are getting bigger. I can maybe see the Note needing to update to a 2K display. The G3 will grow in size to 5.5, but I don't see that it needs it. I guess we'll find out at the end of the month.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
2k will be good on 5.5'' and +.
The next HTC flagship should not have a screen bigger than 5.2'' or else the body will be way too big,one of the main negative critic of the M8 is the bulky size, so the only choice HTC has is to use the same body size but use narrower borders and bezel so the screen can get 0.2 to 0.3'' more, when I see what LG did with the G2 then HTC can do it,they just need to get rid of the stupid bulky ultrapixel tech that is weighting down the M8

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Bulky size? It pretty thin as it is. I thought it was going to be huge until I actually got it. Its not too big or bulky to me at all. And the ultrapixel technology is great once one learns to use it. Its excellent for what its intended for.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The next HTC flagship should not have a screen bigger than 5.2'' or else the body will be way too big,one of the main negative critic of the M8 is the bulky size, so the only choice HTC has is to use the same body size but use narrower borders and bezel so the screen can get 0.2 to 0.3'' more, when I see what LG did with the G2 then HTC can do it,they just need to get rid of the stupid bulky ultrapixel tech that is weighting down the M8

Why do they have to make the screen bigger? What's wrong with a 5" screen? I just don't get it, why can't 4.7" to 5" screens be the norm for the mid range phones? When I say mid range I am talking about size not specs.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Personally, I love the size of the m8. I know some don't, but those people will just go get another phone, and that's ok.

Am I the only one who doesn't want a phone with ultra thin bezels and borders? To me I think it would make holding and using the phone really difficult. My hands already wrap around the edges and would interfere with the touch screen without bezels.

Also HTC doesn't want to do what LG did with the g2, they are two totally different designs and aren't meant to be similar at all. Just because one company designs their phone a certain way, doesn't mean HTC has to follow.

Posted via Android Central App

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Where are you hearing these "rumors"? Smartphones won't get 2k displays until tablets do, and even that's a ways off. There arent powerful enough processors or video chips yet to do this efficiently enough to make battery life usable.

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
What's the point of a 2k display on a 5-6" screen?
No one can see the pixels with a 1080 small screen so 2k is just a waste of CPU and battery.

Doesn't mean they won't do it just to be better than their rivals but it's still utterly pointless from practical perspective.

Couldn't agree more. I'd prefer that the phone's resources were spent elsewhere. I really hope that they don't go in that direction.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

PFKMan23

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Where are you hearing these "rumors"? Smartphones won't get 2k displays until tablets do, and even that's a ways off. There arent powerful enough processors or video chips yet to do this efficiently enough to make battery life usable.

I hope you mean widespread usage because the Nexus 10, Note 10 2014 and new Galaxy tab pro tablets already feature a 2K screen (2560 x 1600)

cdaq

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I hope you mean widespread usage because the Nexus 10, Note 10 2014 and new Galaxy tab pro tablets already feature a 2K screen (2560 x 1600)

Very strange design decision. Is it just to say you have a x resolution? I can't imagine a 2k screen being anything but a complete waste on something as small as a 10 freaking inch screen. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it...

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Marketing rules bro!
Next year the S6 will probably be 5.2 to 5.3'', G3 is already 5.5''
When HTC kept 4.7'' on M7 after the One X they received some bad critics that they should have upgrade to 5''.
I am not a fan of huge screen either and think the actual body size of the M8 is the maximum we can accept for a smartphone.
If they want to make a 5.1 to 5.3'' screen in the coming years they will have to make thinner borders and bezel, look at the Z1 and Z2 for example...
A larger body will be in phablet sizes and too heavy,we are already at 160gm because of the metal

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Marketing rules bro!
Next year the S6 will probably be 5.2 to 5.3'', G3 is already 5.5''
When HTC kept 4.7'' on M7 after the One X they received some bad critics that they should have upgrade to 5''.
I am not a fan of huge screen either and think the actual body size of the M8 is the maximum we can accept for a smartphone.
If they want to make a 5.1 to 5.3'' screen in the coming years they will have to make thinner borders and bezel, look at the Z1 and Z2 for example...
A larger body will be in phablet sizes and too heavy,we are already at 160gm because of the metal

Lol, m8 maximum we can accept for a smartphone? What about note 3, LG flex, galaxy mega, HTC one max, etc, etc.

Your posts are just too funny....

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I think you didn't read what I wrote dude which is even more funny.
There is now 3 categories:
-Smartphones flagships aka S4/S5, M7/M8,G2,Z1/Z2
-Phablets which are between smartphones and tablets aka Note 2/3,LG G Pro 1/2
-Tablets aka Ipad,Note 10...
I underlined smartphone to make you understand that we are talking about this category ;)
You want bigger phones,go ahead and buy a Note 3 or wait for Note 4 but we don't want to see smartphones disappearing so they are replaced by phablets only

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I underlined smartphone to make you understand that we are talking about this category ;)
You want bigger phones,go ahead and buy a Note 3 or wait for Note 4 but we don't want to see smartphones disappearing so they are replaced by phablets only

What indication have you even seen that smartphones are disappearing? Most of the major oems make 3 version of their smartphones. Mini, flagship and Max. Those are ALL smartphones. What makes you even think they're disappearing?

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
What indication have you even seen that smartphones are disappearing? Most of the major oems make 3 version of their smartphones. Mini, flagship and Max. Those are ALL smartphones. What makes you even think they're disappearing?

^^^ This

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I did read your post, which is why I commented...

Have you ever seen any of those "phablets" actually marketed as a phablet? That nickname was given to them by tech people like us, not the actual manufacturers.

What about low end and mid range smartphones? Where do those fall into your 3 categories?

Like I said before, your posts are just too funny....

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Even more funny are your replies!

So going into your funny logic in 5 years we will have smartphones with 24'' screens because it's your way of seeing their evolution, hahaha
But they will still be named smartphones,not PC monitors with GSM :)
LOL

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Even more funny are your replies!

So going into your funny logic in 5 years we will have smartphones with 24'' screens because it's your way of seeing their evolution, hahaha
But they will still be named smartphones,not PC monitors with GSM :)
LOL

Lol, ok "cool" Jeff, whatever you say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000