Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default my phone is usually 98 degrees and when charging, it's 103. is that normal?

Is that normal?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by thepurpleturtle View Post
    Is that normal?

After reviewing mine with gsam for a couple days, I'd say no. My phone usually stays between 74℉ and 84, the highest being 90℉. Anybody else? I also get about 17 hours total with four and a half hours screen time on Battery before charging at around 15%

Sent from my s-off'd, unlocked and rooted BAMF M8 with the viper venom.
    Sent from my s-off'd, unlocked and rooted BAMF M8 with the viper venom
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: my phone is usually 98 degrees and when charging, it's 103. is that normal?

So I should factory reset?

Default Re: my phone is usually 98 degrees and when charging, it's 103. is that normal?

FYI that's with power saver mode on and the brightness all the way up.

So I should factory reset?

I would say yes. That's always the first thing to try.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

What steps should I take before I factory reset so that I lose the least data?

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts

Are you rooted?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Not rooted

When I had my M8, the highest I ever saw it when charging was 88 degrees.

98 degrees does seem high, not saying it is abnormal but I will let others chime into share their thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS_HTC_PS View Post
    After reviewing mine with gsam for a couple days, I'd say no. My phone usually stays between 74℉ and 84, the highest being 90℉. Anybody else? I also get about 17 hours total with four and a half hours screen time on Battery before charging at around 15%

Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yeah,so I'm definitely gonna factory reset. Any backup tips for the non rooted?

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts

Mine's charging at the moment after doing a backup in TWRP. It's showing 97F in GSAM. It's already dropped 2 since starting this response.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

107 was the highest its gotten to

For app data use helium from the play store.

When I'm using navigation apps my phone gets to between 103 and 111. At 111 the phone case is REALLY hot.

If you're taking in-use temps, that sounds completely normal. I'm pretty sure mine gets over 103 when browsing if I keep my hand flat against the back.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

But does it get uncomfortable?

But does it get uncomfortable?

If I have it flat against my palm for more than 15min. Yea, it burns a little and I have to adjust. I have huge hands so I probably hold it differently than most but it gets uncomfortably hot at times, and that's w/ no case, just a skin.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by B0WIE View Post
    If I have it flat against my palm for more than 15min. Yea, it burns a little and I have to adjust. I have huge hands so I probably hold it differently than most but it gets uncomfortably hot at times, and that's w/ no case, just a skin.
    You should probably return it too lol

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Are there any phone experts here to know if a sustained temperature of 106 will cause permanent damage to the battery, it'd be amazing if someone could answer this and maybe point my way to an article

You should probably return it too lol

It's the same with every phone I've owned. No different on the M8. Resist the urge to feel like you're suffering some sort of anomaly. Too many people return phones w/o good reason and all it does is raise prices. I work in electronics and build equipment myself. 106 is not a big deal. If you're looking for someone to tell you it's bad so that you can feel better about returning it, I'm sure you'll find that person. But, you really don't have much to worry about.
    Last edited by B0WIE; 05-06-2014 at 04:45 AM.
    Topgonzo likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

So this won't wear down the battery a lit?

Quote Originally Posted by LocationDudeNYC View Post
    When I'm using navigation apps my phone gets to between 103 and 111. At 111 the phone case is REALLY hot.
    Yeah but thats because its working hard to get GPS lock etc

Global Posts
    7,677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

So this won't wear down the battery a lit?

As long as the phone isn't getting above 120 degrees I wouldn't worry about , but that's just me.I don't think I ever had any phone get to 120 degrees .

Actually phones have a safety feature that will shut down phone if it gets over certain temperature.
    It all depends on how hard your phone is working and for how long your using it as to how hot it gets.
    I think the hottest my phone ever got was 107 degrees in the summer time when playing Ingress for awhile.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Doesn't the heat accelerate the degradation of the battery?

103 F is fine. I saw about 123F yesterday but I push my phone pretty hard. After a certain temperature, the phone will stop charging, and after an even higher temperature, the phone will shut off. But both of these Temps are way above 120F

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast