voice call woes

AlejandroPH

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Okay so this is a two-part question.

1) How come I can't do voice calls for some of my contacts ? For instance, I've a friend listed as "James R****" and the phone never shows him. I know I'm pronouncing it right, James is pretty standard and he shares his last name with his four brothers on my phone, so I know I also say the last name "correctly." It's rather off-putting.

2) A bit related, what is the difference if you save a contact to your SIM, Phone, or Google ? I usually save any new numbers I get to SIM, is it perhaps that voice recognition only recognizes those saved in Google ?

Thank you kindly for any help !

AlejandroPH

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok I think I get why now, it has to do with the categories. James is apparently already saved but in the other categories (Facebook, Google, etc) so when I enable those categories to appear in my Phonebook the phone now recognizes his name. Can I just ask several more questions :

1) Is there any advantage of saving new contacts to Phone and/or SIM and/or Google ?
2) I have so many duplicate contacts saved in different categories, how can I just link them ?
3) Why is it that some of my contacts are "complete" i.e. they have a picture, e-mail address, Facebook, phone number, etc whilst other contacts just a number ?

edit : ok this is really frustrating, a contact that I explicitly saved in "SIM" recently is not popping out in my Phonebook when I put it to SIM, and when I saved a mate's number it automatically saved it as a WhatsApp contact, not a mobile one. And I still don't know how to link duplicate contacts saved in multiple categories !

Last edited:

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi there.

If you save your contacts to google, they are stored to the cloud and you can access them anywhere which is a great plus. It also helps if you do voice dialing via google now rather than the HTC dialing app.

If you have duplicate contacts, you can tell the phone to link them or delete them. Go into phonebook and manage contacts and it will sort that out for you. Just be careful using it as it can delete ones you don't want it to.

You can link all the contacts so if you have them as a facebook or twitter contact too, it will display their pics and their last post using that account. Again go to phonebook and manage contacts and link

AlejandroPH

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi there.

If you save your contacts to google, they are stored to the cloud and you can access them anywhere which is a great plus. It also helps if you do voice dialing via google now rather than the HTC dialing app.

If you have duplicate contacts, you can tell the phone to link them or delete them. Go into phonebook and manage contacts and it will sort that out for you. Just be careful using it as it can delete ones you don't want it to.

You can link all the contacts so if you have them as a facebook or twitter contact too, it will display their pics and their last post using that account. Again go to phonebook and manage contacts and link

Hey, thanks for the reply.

If that's the case, how do I import my contacts from Phone and SIM to Google ? Is it possible ?

EDIT : OK I just did a quick search and it seems that I'll have to install HTC Sync Manager for the job. I hope this cleans up my Phonebook

AlejandroPH

May 2, 2014
Visit site
By the way, if make a phone call or send a message to a contact saved in Google, will that count as cellular data use since it's saved on Google ?

Posted via Android Central App

AlejandroPH

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Experience with HTC Sync Manager has been equally frustrating (I can't even edit my song details !)

And I couldn't get to switch my previously saved SIM contacts to fall under Google.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would sync to Google. It keeps the contacts accessible anywhere due to them being on the Internet.. And when you get a new phone and sign into your Google account it will automatically pull all those contacts to the new phone.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12