Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Default Anyone went from the Galaxy S4 to the HTC One m8?

Hello guys.
    I have the Galaxy S4 since last August but I've been thinking about changing to the new HTC one m8. To whoever did the same: can you give me your opinion, if it's worth it, etc?
    Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Default Re: Anyone went from the Galaxy S4 to the HTC One m8?

Quote Originally Posted by badelhas View Post
    Hello guys.
    I have the Galaxy S4 since last August but I've been thinking about changing to the new HTC one m8. To whoever did the same: can you give me your opinion, if it's worth it, etc?
    Thanks a lot.

Cheers
    My dad went from the S4 to the HTC M8. He's a Samsung person but when he went to this phone he loved it he loves how smooth it is and fast and the speakers and he just loves it. And I came from the Galaxy S5 to the HTC M8 and I love it. The S5 was to laggy to me but I don't regret getting the HTC M8. The only thing about this phone I recommend getting a case for it when you get it because it's very slippery sometimes while holding it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:
    darkhan and Dizfunctions like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Thanks a lot for your input.
    Your the first I see changing from the S5 to the HTC One m8!
    I also want a case and tend not to like TPU but I was thinking about ordering the case mate barely there (the naked seems too bulky) but it seems it's slippery and has that scratches problem.
    Meanwhile I found this on another thread and couldn't resist ordering because of the low price, but it will take at least 2 weeks to get to Portugal.
    It's ultrathin and made of TPU. Check it out:

Baseus Soft TPU Ultrathin Transparent Case Cover Shield for HTC ONE M8 0o

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...013422&alt=web

Global Posts
    4,371 Global Posts

I had a GS4 here's the difference: GS4 lag M8 no lag. It was a humongous upgrade and I will never again own another Samsung device.

2013 Nexus Seven and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
    Thanked by:
    Ed Briggs likes this.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

I most recently came from a Note 3 but before that I had a S4. I am a huge fan of the Note series, but I would take the M8 any day of the week over the S4. There is no comparing build quality and sense is so much more smooth and enjoyable to use than TouchWiz. I also don't think the camera is bad. I have taken quite a few pictures already and they have all been on par with any Galaxy or iPhone I have had. I am really liking this phone a lot.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I went from 5s to s5 and to m8 and can't be more happier. Just came back from a week long business trip and I never once worried through the day about looking for a charge and the phone is smooth as butter. For me I loved the weight of the S5 but I had lag just like all the other android devices I had tried in the past, the one has never lagged and so far has been the best phone I have ever owned, in fact the iPhone 6 will need to impress me a lot to get me to let go of the one M8.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Quote Originally Posted by darkhan View Post
    I went from 5s to s5 and to m8 and can't be more happier. Just came back from a week long business trip and I never once worried through the day about looking for a charge and the phone is smooth as butter. For me I loved the weight of the S5 but I had lag just like all the other android devices I had tried in the past, the one has never lagged and so far has been the best phone I have ever owned, in fact the iPhone 6 will need to impress me a lot to get me to let go of the one M8.
    Great to hear that. Do you happen to use a case with it?

I tend not to like TPU cases but wanted a clear one so I can still see the metal finish and found this one. It's ultrathin and made of TPU. Check it out:

Item: Baseus Soft TPU Ultrathin Transparent Case Cover Shield for HTC ONE M8 0o

Great to hear that. Do you happen to use a case with it?

I tend not to like TPU cases but wanted a clear one so I can still see the metal finish and found this one. It's ultrathin and made of TPU. Check it out:

Item: Baseus Soft TPU Ultrathin Transparent Case Cover Shield for HTC ONE M8 0o

I am going through the case phase now, buying like 2 a week. So far the incipio Feather is my favorite, I have tried all the ones others recommended on here and they seem bulky and I don't like TPU case due to lint and dust collecting around the edge of the screen. I tried the toast cover and was crap, came in broke at the bottom and very cheap feeling. I have the Cimo soft touch arriving today from amazon and will give it a try, looks very thin and the soft touch should be nice and non slippery? I have also ask element case about making an htc one m8 case I love there cases even if they are up to 200.00 but you pay for what you get, I don't think they will be enough sales for them to make a case though?
    I also use the spigen nano glass screen protector not really to protect the glass but the screen looks much better with it on and with polarized sunglasses I can see it much better than without the screen protector for some reason?

Hope this help?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

It does but if I buy the phone I am thinking in a case that is transparent, so I can still show the design and finish while having some protection. Are any of those clear cases?

I have not found a decent super thin clear case yet that would have a non slick feel. With clear case it will either be TPU which I don't like or a hard shell and most of them are slick for me. Maybe someone on here has found a clear non tpu that is not bulky?

I went from an S4 to an M8 and I am very happy with m y decision. I think the M8 is a better phone.
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Quote Originally Posted by darkhan View Post
    I have not found a decent super thin clear case yet that would have a non slick feel. With clear case it will either be TPU which I don't like or a hard shell and most of them are slick for me. Maybe someone on here has found a clear non tpu that is not bulky?
    I know what you mean. But what about the Case-Mate Barely There, made of hard plastic, have you tried that one?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcc0710 View Post
    I went from an S4 to an M8 and I am very happy with m y decision. I think the M8 is a better phone.
    What are the main advantages and disadvantages, in your opinion?

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

I too went from an S4 to an M8. It took a few weeks for me to completely assimilate to the differences. But after owning this device for nearly a month, I much prefer it to my old S4.
    Thanked by:

I know what you mean. But what about the Case-Mate Barely There, made of hard plastic, have you tried that one?
    Yes the Case mate barely case was so so, its still kind of slippery and does not offer as good as protection as the incipio feather. However I bought the incipio feather shine and I just ordered the regular feather as the shine is suppose to be like metal and its also a little slick, hoping the regular is more soft touch?es

What are the main advantages and disadvantages, in your opinion?
    gdecapia likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Great, please post some photos when you get it.
    My main fear with chaging from my S4 to the HTC One M8 is the camera...is is really that bad?

Great, please post some photos when you get it.
    My main fear with chaging from my S4 to the HTC One M8 is the camera...is is really that bad?
    No, also check out spigen clear case looks sharp and stays thin little yellow in Sun light but looks cool with charger with light.

From the one M8

Like others here, I too went from the Galaxy 4 to this HTC, and am much happier. Just went by Best Buy yesterday, and played with the S5, and it STILL has lag.

I am using the Supcase, and really like it. I tried 2 others, but like this one the best. Clear back, good grip, thin, and looks great.
    Thanked by:

I wish the M8 was a touch smaller. The height is the thing but it's not bad. I like the Sense better than touch wiz. I think it's faster and better battery life. It's also built better. I did like a removable battery but the cheap plastic back always bothered me when I took it off.

The camera for me is fine. I don't take alot of pictures so it does what I want it to. It did take a while to find the tool to insert the SD card. Overall it's better than the S4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoav8r View Post
    Like others here, I too went from the Galaxy 4 to this HTC, and am much happier. Just went by Best Buy yesterday, and played with the S5, and it STILL has lag.

I am using the Supcase, and really like it. I tried 2 others, but like this one the best. Clear back, good grip, thin, and looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcc0710 View Post
    I wish the M8 was a touch smaller. The height is the thing but it's not bad. I like the Sense better than touch wiz. I think it's faster and better battery life. It's also built better. I did like a removable battery but the cheap plastic back always bothered me when I took it off.

The camera for me is fine. I don't take alot of pictures so it does what I want it to. It did take a while to find the tool to insert the SD card. Overall it's better than the S4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Thanks a lot for your opinions. I am really into this phone but would like to try it first but it's not available in my country yet.

Went from S4 to M8 but in all truthfulness there is not that much difference performance wise. The S4 is not laggy as others have stated. If you have the S4 setup well then you will not see any lag. The M8 has a slight performance increase and Sense is a nice change but the there is no night and day difference between the two phones. The camera works just as well as the S4 and takes great pictures. In complete unbiased honesty (I do not have to keep reminding myself that I made a good purchase decision) there really is not enough of a change in technology on the phone to warrant spending the money on an upgrade. But if you have money to throw around and its burning a hole in your pocket then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrazythunder View Post
    Went from S4 to M8 but in all truthfulness there is not that much difference performance wise. The S4 is not laggy as others have stated. If you have the S4 setup well then you will not see any lag. The M8 has a slight performance increase and Sense is a nice change but the there is no night and day difference between the two phones. The camera works just as well as the S4 and takes great pictures. In complete unbiased honesty (I do not have to keep reminding myself that I made a good purchase decision) there really is not enough of a change in technology on the phone to warrant spending the money on an upgrade. But if you have money to throw around and its burning a hole in your pocket then go for it.
    Everyone is entitled to the own opinion but I'm ganna have to definitely disagree with you on everything you said about it no big difference and the S4 not lagging. I had the Galaxy S4 at least 4-5 since it's been released until now and every single one ended up getting very laggy quick and it felt so slow to me. My friend had 2 S4 and be also said the same exact thing but he dealed with it because he don't really care about switching his phone. And my dad had the S4 from a month after it got released until a week ago and he loves the M8 and he notices big differences between the two phones and he did he's glad this one don't lag like that S4 would do a lot. And also I had the new Galaxy S5 already and honestly to me it's just as laggy and slow as the S4. And what's crazy I always liked the Galaxy phones but those two had to many issues and lag was the biggest issue. So far I had no issues with my M8 and have not lagged on me yet. So yea that's it. I'm not saying you was wrong for your opinion I just wanted to state my opinion based on that you said.

I changed from my s4 to the m8 on Verizon. I found my s4 slow and buggy . The m8 is incredible accept for 2 major issues for me.
    1. On Verizon only they have left out the relationship field in contacts. I have hindered of contacts made in my s4. The field is present in old contacts but I can not make a new contact with a relationship field. Sprint version has the relationship field.

2. This one is a killer. I have thousands of contacts with notes. If I search my contacts using Google or the people app the function will only search by names. On my s4 I'd search for a word in the notes all contacts with that word will show up. I spoke to HTC and they have no solution for either problem.

Anyone have a solution.

Posted via Android Central App

Hello guys.
    Thanks a lot.
    Cheers
    This is pretty much my review of the M8. It's a lot to read, but I mean you asked for our opinions, and I'm giving my honest opinion/impression. I'm not a reviewer, nor am I biased. I just like phones and having a good amount of knowledge as to where I can help a friend out when they want to buy a phone.
    Reason why I changed:
    I went from an S4 to the One (M8) after my s4 fell screen first onto gravel, and busted the digitizer. I was surprised the glass screen protector I had on it didn't break, nor did the gorilla glass. I ended up getting the M8 since it was already released and the S5 was not out yet, but I did not feel like waiting, nor did I want to go the Samsung route, having in mind that the build quality of the S5 would be the same as the S4's and in the end, would be inferior to that of the M8.

Impressions after more than a month of Use:
    I'm glad I pulled the trigger when it came to buying the M8. Couldn't be happier. The Boomsound speakers blow the competition away. Love watching videos on it and playing games. Sense UI is pretty much what I would have wanted on my S4. I had Nova on my S4, cause I simply did not like Touchwiz, and wanted to have the feel of stock android. It's clean, fluid and very close to stock android. The feel of the phone is pretty good. Not as slippery as the S4, but since the M8 has metal from side to side, it makes it somewhat slippery. I put a case on my S4 the moment I bought it, since I feared it would fall and break. For some reason it felt fragile. As of today, I've pretty much had my M8 without a case since the beginning of April. Although I did install a MIME glass screen protector on it. For some reason, I wasn't all that worried of the M8 falling. Not sure if it was because of it being metal, or because of HTC's Advantage Program that will replace your broken screen within 6 months.
    I do somewhat miss the 13 mp camera that was on the S4 when I'm out and about with the M8. Being able to zoom in and still have an adequate picture. But after using the M8 over this past month, I ended up really liking the camera on the M8. It get's the job done, and does a really good job doing it from the times I have used it. I haven't had a chance to use it at it's full potential yet, so I really can't say much. The Duo camera is pretty nifty, although I've only used it once, again I haven't had a good chance to use it. As a side note, I usually only use the stock camera app and if needed, edited the photos, added filters, using VSCO Cam, as I did on the S4 as well. Front facing camera is good. I mean it's 5mp and has a wide-angle lens. I'm don't take selfies at all, but I snapchat now and then, so I tend to use it.
    There's been a few build quality issues that have been found since release. But thankfully, the only one that was on my M8 was the wiggly volume rocker, but I've come to live with it. It's not a deal breaker, but if you end up putting a case on it, the problem pretty much becomes nonexistent. I just got my gunmetal Spigen Slim Armor today and have since put it on, which brings me to my next point the look of the phone. I actually really liked the way the S4 looked without a case. It looked really sleek, and the brushed aluminum trim around the phone really set it off. But since recieving my M8. I pretty much forgot about the S4. It just looks so damn nice. I chose the gunmetal one because it appealed to me more than the other two. Although I sometimes wonder if I should have chosen the silver one, but in the end I just loved the brushed gunmetal.
    Battery life is insanely good, IMO. Being that it is the same capacity of the S4's, not one day have I worried if my phone would last throughout the day. I'm guessing it's due to the snap. 801. I really don't have much to say when it comes to performance. The 801 beats the 600 in anyway, although I heard the RAM on the S4 was ddr3 and the one found on the M8 and M7 is ddr2? Not sure of the difference, but I do wish they would have gone with 3gb. Memory is good. Verizon only has the 32gb M8, and I had bought a class 10 32gb sd card a week before my S4 broke. -_- But it's pretty much empty on my M8, although I do save all my photos and will save my future concert videos on the SD card.
    Comparing the screens, I really do think a 5 inch screen is more than adequate. Onscreen buttons are pretty cool. I think the screen on the S4 was able to reach a higher brightness than that of the M8. I can't say much as far as LCD vs superAMOLED, although I did enjoy having the true blacks on the S4, and enjoyed using Dynamic Notifications, knowing that the entire screen wasn't on, so it wasn't going to kill the battery as much.
    That's pretty much all I have to say. I would definitely consider the M8 to anyone coming from an S4 or older device, looking to upgrade to a 2014 flagship device. Happy to answer any question that you may have!
    Thanked by 3:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Quote Originally Posted by JesusF310 View Post
    This is pretty much my review of the M8. It's a lot to read, but I mean you asked for our opinions, and I'm giving my honest opinion/impression. I'm not a reviewer, nor am I biased. I just like phones and having a good amount of knowledge as to where I can help a friend out when they want to buy a phone.
    Reason why I changed:
    I went from an S4 to the One (M8) after my s4 fell screen first onto gravel, and busted the digitizer. I was surprised the glass screen protector I had on it didn't break, nor did the gorilla glass. I ended up getting the M8 since it was already released and the S5 was not out yet, but I did not feel like waiting, nor did I want to go the Samsung route, having in mind that the build quality of the S5 would be the same as the S4's and in the end, would be inferior to that of the M8.

Impressions after more than a month of Use:
    I'm glad I pulled the trigger when it came to buying the M8. Couldn't be happier. The Boomsound speakers blow the competition away. Love watching videos on it and playing games. Sense UI is pretty much what I would have wanted on my S4. I had Nova on my S4, cause I simply did not like Touchwiz, and wanted to have the feel of stock android. It's clean, fluid and very close to stock android. The feel of the phone is pretty good. Not as slippery as the S4, but since the M8 has metal from side to side, it makes it somewhat slippery. I put a case on my S4 the moment I bought it, since I feared it would fall and break. For some reason it felt fragile. As of today, I've pretty much had my M8 without a case since the beginning of April. Although I did install a MIME glass screen protector on it. For some reason, I wasn't all that worried of the M8 falling. Not sure if it was because of it being metal, or because of HTC's Advantage Program that will replace your broken screen within 6 months.
    I do somewhat miss the 13 mp camera that was on the S4 when I'm out and about with the M8. Being able to zoom in and still have an adequate picture. But after using the M8 over this past month, I ended up really liking the camera on the M8. It get's the job done, and does a really good job doing it from the times I have used it. I haven't had a chance to use it at it's full potential yet, so I really can't say much. The Duo camera is pretty nifty, although I've only used it once, again I haven't had a good chance to use it. As a side note, I usually only use the stock camera app and if needed, edited the photos, added filters, using VSCO Cam, as I did on the S4 as well. Front facing camera is good. I mean it's 5mp and has a wide-angle lens. I'm don't take selfies at all, but I snapchat now and then, so I tend to use it.
    There's been a few build quality issues that have been found since release. But thankfully, the only one that was on my M8 was the wiggly volume rocker, but I've come to live with it. It's not a deal breaker, but if you end up putting a case on it, the problem pretty much becomes nonexistent. I just got my gunmetal Spigen Slim Armor today and have since put it on, which brings me to my next point the look of the phone. I actually really liked the way the S4 looked without a case. It looked really sleek, and the brushed aluminum trim around the phone really set it off. But since recieving my M8. I pretty much forgot about the S4. It just looks so damn nice. I chose the gunmetal one because it appealed to me more than the other two. Although I sometimes wonder if I should have chosen the silver one, but in the end I just loved the brushed gunmetal.
    Battery life is insanely good, IMO. Being that it is the same capacity of the S4's, not one day have I worried if my phone would last throughout the day. I'm guessing it's due to the snap. 801. I really don't have much to say when it comes to performance. The 801 beats the 600 in anyway, although I heard the RAM on the S4 was ddr3 and the one found on the M8 and M7 is ddr2? Not sure of the difference, but I do wish they would have gone with 3gb. Memory is good. Verizon only has the 32gb M8, and I had bought a class 10 32gb sd card a week before my S4 broke. -_- But it's pretty much empty on my M8, although I do save all my photos and will save my future concert videos on the SD card.
    Comparing the screens, I really do think a 5 inch screen is more than adequate. Onscreen buttons are pretty cool. I think the screen on the S4 was able to reach a higher brightness than that of the M8. I can't say much as far as LCD vs superAMOLED, although I did enjoy having the true blacks on the S4, and enjoyed using Dynamic Notifications, knowing that the entire screen wasn't on, so it wasn't going to kill the battery as much.
    That's pretty much all I have to say. I would definitely consider the M8 to anyone coming from an S4 or older device, looking to upgrade to a 2014 flagship device. Happy to answer any question that you may have!
    Thank you very much for that mini review of yours. I was finally able to see it on a store and agree with you except for the screen. Do you really think it's less bright than the S4? Reviews say otherwise, I believe.
    Cheers

I switched.... I did enjoy the S4, but I had to disable so many Samsung things because I did not use all those bells and whistles they had on the S4, plus the vendor app (Verizon puts a ton of their own apps on the device as well, as does every other vendor)... plus I was an old first adopter of the HTC Thunderbolt back in the early LTE days and had enjoyed using that device even though so many complained about a few different things with that device.

My observations so far... the device is a little tall - holding it in the hand and trying to reach the top of the screen to pull down the notification bar is a long reach. The sound is fantastic compared to the S4... I always had to cup my hand behind the S4 to hear either a video or even trying to use the speakerphone, not so with the M8. I did like to use Nova launcher on the S4, but using Nova with the M8 I loose the HTC weather/clock widget, which I knew I would loose it but I tried it just to be sure, and I don't want to load WeatherBug or some other app just to get what Sense already has.

And one final thing I plan to do down the road.... root this and load Cyanogenmod, which I have missed since using the S4. I know there were some who could root the S4 early on, but then couldn't get updates... nor did any of the CM developers develop for the S4, so even if I could root it then there was a very limited ROM community out there... and I do like Cyanogenmod as an option when I'm bored with Sense.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast