No lock screen on swipe?

quarrymanpaul

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't like that my m8 can be unlocked by accidently tapping or swiping the screen so I've enabled the lock screen. This seems to work for the power button and double tap on the screen - the subsequent lock screen appears. This is good.

However when I swipe it goes straight to the desktop, no lock screen at all? Surely this defeats the purpose of having the lock screen if it gets bypassed so easily!

If I use pattern unlock it the lock screen always appears but I don't like the pattern unlock, I just want something simple like the lock screen.

Is there any way to always enable the lock screen? Even when the screen is swiped?

It seems kind of dumb that htc didn't allow the option to separately enable gesture unlock options...

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't like that my m8 can be unlocked by accidently tapping or swiping the screen so I've enabled the lock screen. This seems to work for the power button and double tap on the screen - the subsequent lock screen appears. This is good.

However when I swipe it goes straight to the desktop, no lock screen at all? Surely this defeats the purpose of having the lock screen if it gets bypassed so easily!

If I use pattern unlock it the lock screen always appears but I don't like the pattern unlock, I just want something simple like the lock screen.

Is there any way to always enable the lock screen? Even when the screen is swiped?

It seems kind of dumb that htc didn't allow the option to separately enable gesture unlock options...

Well, you need to setup the pattern lock after performing a swipe just try going to the settings>Lock Screen> use swipe lock check that box and also choose the pattern lock from the lockscreen. Try doing this and next time you need to first swipe and then you need to put the pattern in order to unlock your device.

quarrymanpaul

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
But I don't want to use the pattern to unlock. I just want the lock screen that allows you to use swipe up on the padlock. This screen seems to only appear if double tap or the power button are used.

alyled

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that you have to use a p/w, pattern or code in order to get what you are looking for as far as overriding the gestures. You are correct, you'll only get the lock screen when using power, downward swipe or dbl tap. Swiping left, right or up will bypass it without a code of some sort.

But I don't want to use the pattern to unlock. I just want the lock screen that allows you to use swipe up on the padlock. This screen seems to only appear if double tap or the power button are used.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Bypassing the lock screen with swipe up is the whole point of that gesture. If you want to get to the lock screen, double tap. I love being able to quickly enter the app I was using before the screen timed out with a swipe.

Posted via Android Central App

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow. I'm definitely confused here.
I don't own the phone yet; I'm planning on buying soon.
The double tap and swipe all seem good, however, I need to have a lock screen for every time the device is activated- whether it goes black after several minutes of use or power off. It's not acceptable to leave the phone on a desk somewhere for someone else to activate if they wish...or if it get's lost, obviously, you want that security on the front-end so someone does not have full access to everything..

So if you set up lockscreen with password, once that clears, do you then get the various swipe features?

quarrymanpaul

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I've confused matters here so I'll clarify. You can:

1. Have no lock screen so that when you swipe or double tap the phone is unlocked

2. Have a security screen that requires a pattern/pin to unlock. You can trigger this with any gesture

3. Finally you can have lock screen that requires a swipe up to unlock. This screen only appears when the double tap or power button is used NOT if the swipe gesture is used. In that case it goes straight to the desktop.

#3 is the problem. Lock screen enabled should mean it should appear when ANY gesture is used.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow. I'm definitely confused here.
I don't own the phone yet; I'm planning on buying soon.
The double tap and swipe all seem good, however, I need to have a lock screen for every time the device is activated- whether it goes black after several minutes of use or power off. It's not acceptable to leave the phone on a desk somewhere for someone else to activate if they wish...or if it get's lost, obviously, you want that security on the front-end so someone does not have full access to everything..

So if you set up lockscreen with password, once that clears, do you then get the various swipe features?

It's not that confusing once you actually use it. If you setup a password, pin or pattern, then you still have to use those to unlock the phone. The only time the swipe up gesture will bypass the lock screen is when that's your only security screen, which anyone could unlock if it's sitting on a desk.

I don't use passwords, pins, or patterns, I hate having to enter any of those to unlock the screen when I'm using it. I don't leave my phone sitting around for others to get into, it's always on me. Always.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's not that confusing once you actually use it. If you setup a password, pin or pattern, then you still have to use those to unlock the phone. The only time the swipe up gesture will bypass the lock screen is when that's your only security screen, which anyone could unlock if it's sitting on a desk.

I don't use passwords, pins, or patterns, I hate having to enter any of those to unlock the screen when I'm using it. I don't leave my phone sitting around for others to get into, it's always on me. Always.
Except when you're not perfect and you leave it on the bar, or the bank desk...or you just plain lose it or have it stolen (it's happening a LOT now)
I hate having to enter a PIN every time too- but the alternative is that if it's ever not in your possession, anybody has full access to anything that's not further protected. Most importantly, they have a functioning device- that can be resold. If it's impossible to get past a lockscreen, the phone is pretty much useless.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

1. Have no lock screen so that when you swipe or double tap the phone is unlocked

2. Have a security screen that requires a pattern/pin to unlock. You can trigger this with any gesture

3. Finally you can have lock screen that requires a swipe up to unlock. This screen only appears when the double tap or power button is used NOT if the swipe gesture is used. In that case it goes straight to the desktop.

#3 is the problem. Lock screen enabled should mean it should appear when ANY gesture is used.
#1 and #3 are Zero Security. If only a swipe is going to unlock it, then why even have that?
You either have protection on the front end...or not. #2 is the only option for me. But once you complete the PIN entry, do you then get to swipe different directions for different apps? Or do you simple get the home page?

quarrymanpaul

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
#1 and #3 are Zero Security. If only a swipe is going to unlock it, then why even have that?
You either have protection on the front end...or not. #2 is the only option for me. But once you complete the PIN entry, do you then get to swipe different directions for different apps? Or do you simple get the home page?

Because it's not about security for me. I don't want my phone getting unlocked by an accidental swipe or double tap when I'm holding it. I want it always need a swipe to unlock after the gesture has woken the screen.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I don't think it's a problem, that's just the way they designed it. If they wanted any gesture to go straight to the lock screen, then they would have made it that way. If someone doesn't like that, they can setup up a pin or password. Personally, like I previously stated, I love the fact that it unlocks the phone so for me it's perfect.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I hear ya, it could definitely be a problem for others. For me though, I have never lost or had a phone stolen (not to say it couldn't happen, but it hasn't yet). If on the off chance someone does steal it, I can remotely wipe my device using android device manager, or other similar apps like lookout.