Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default In car audio solution

Hey guys, just got my one M8 and so far I'm loving it. I just have one inquiry about how to make my phone play through my in car audio. I have an iPod adapter that worked with my old phone and I thought it would work with the M8. Is it because the micro USB doesn't support audio play back?. Is there any work around this?. I also need a file management system cause android file transfer does not recognize my phone. BTW I'm using a MAC mini. I also added a 16gb micro SD. Thanks guys...

Default Re: In car audio solution

do you have an aftermarket head unit? or oem? i hate that everything works for ipods. if that dont work you probably have to use the auxiliary or a usb stick.

also i didnt see the part where you have a mac...u need usb drivers or else manually load in a card reader, or wifi transfer app. theres alot of ways

If you can't stream bluetooth music, look into the the HTC "Stereo Clip".
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I got the OEM headunit. No bluetooth and AUX in.

If you have an aux in, you can get a 3.5mm cable and connect to the headphone port. Otherwise, you can use a usb cable, just put the phone in disk drive mode, and the unit should see the phone as a flash drive, and you should be able to access the files.

Personally, I just go Bluetooth all the time.... but if you don't have that options the next best is to use the Aux In and a cable. The cable is what I had to use on my last car, but I really like my new car with the Bluetooth streaming.
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, ASUS ZenWatch, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

Alpine and Pioneer both make sub $200 stereos head units with Bluetooth that work great with this phone. Short of that about the only thing that is going to work with that obviously older factory unit is a cassette adaptor or FM modulator. If you do any sort of traveling skip the FM modulator. They're crappy enough to begin with without adding a variable like travel between cities. I have the Alpibe which is $199 @ Best Buy. That one is a little high because it includes XM/Sirius. The Pioneer is available at most stereo shops for $149. I never understood why car manufacturers would do something as stupid as put in a propriety jack without at least a simple auxillary jack.

Armadillo, the other white meat.

Global Posts
    1,628 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by techitrucker View Post
    Alpine and Pioneer both make sub $200 stereos head units with Bluetooth that work great with this phone. Short of that about the only thing that is going to work with that obviously older factory unit is a cassette adaptor or FM modulator. If you do any sort of traveling skip the FM modulator. They're crappy enough to begin with without adding a variable like travel between cities. I have the Alpibe which is $199 @ Best Buy. That one is a little high because it includes XM/Sirius. The Pioneer is available at most stereo shops for $149. I never understood why car manufacturers would do something as stupid as put in a propriety jack without at least a simple auxillary jack.

Armadillo, the other white meat.
    Yeah, I agree I think a new head unit is the way to go.
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
    just put the phone in disk drive mode
    How does one do that?

Quote Originally Posted by B0WIE View Post
    How does one do that?
    Using a USB cable.... which means you usually have to have a modern/newer unit that has a USB port as input.
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Using a USB cable.... which means you usually have to have a modern/newer unit that has a USB port as input.
    Thanks, but is there an actual setting on the phone, or is it just a reference to plugging it in via USB? My car is new and has USB, I just never heard of putting a phone into a disc drive mode and wanted to know if that was a setting on the M8.

Also, to the OP, instead of $200 on a head unit, look into the $27 device I mentioned earlier. It allows you to stream bluetooth music to your Aux input.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techitrucker View Post
    If you do any sort of traveling skip the FM modulator. They're crappy enough to begin with without adding a variable like travel between cities.
    I'll have to emphatically disagree with you. Perhaps you meant to say that FM transmitters are crappy, which I agree with. FM modulators are fantastic, and it doesn't matter where you travel.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by B0WIE View Post
    Thanks, but is there an actual setting on the phone, or is it just a reference to plugging it in via USB? My car is new and has USB, I just never heard of putting a phone into a disc drive mode and wanted to know if that was a setting on the M8.
    I don't believe it is something you need to set, BUT I believe you do need to enable "Developer options" by going into Settings > About > Software information > More > tap the build number until it says you have enabled developer options.

Thanked by:
    B0WIE 

If you wanna keep your factory stereo I would put in an fm modulator so you can add an auxiliary jack. Then you can plug in a bluetooth receiver to the auxiliary jack and stream through bluetooth if you wanted too.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app