Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OTA with unlocked bootloader?

Can I OTA update with a unlocked bootloader? I'm not longer rooted, have stock recovery installed and s-on but I read somewhere if my bootloader is unlocked or has been unlocked I wont be able to OTA. I'm on o2 uk and I'm not sure if there has been a update recently for us but if there has I haven't had one.

If someone has some info that would be great. I went through hell trying to get stock recovery and unroot just so I can OTA and will be gutted if I couldn't

Default Re: OTA with unlocked bootloader?

I do believe that if you have stock recovery and stock ROM, you can.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    danmaytee likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    I do believe that if you have stock recovery and stock ROM, you can.

Thank you, I hope that it is true . Once/If I receive an update I will try and relock my bootloader just incase before I update. I'm just hoping I will get an update as I read if TWRP or anything has been installed before it can stop the device receiving the update.

Quote Originally Posted by danmaytee View Post
    Thank you, I hope that it is true . Once/If I receive an update I will try and relock my bootloader just incase before I update. I'm just hoping I will get an update as I read if TWRP or anything has been installed before it can stop the device receiving the update.
    It doesn't matter if it's been installed before. It's just that custom recoveries aren't able to install the updates. So you should be good. I may be wrong because I haven't done much research with the m8 yet, since I haven't messed with it, but that's usually what it is. And if you do get the update, don't be worried it'll mess something up. If the recovery can't install it, it'll just abort it and not mess anything up.

I'd say if you have everything completely stock, you'll be good.

danmaytee likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's been installed before. It's just that custom recoveries aren't able to install the updates. So you should be good. I may be wrong because I haven't done much research with the m8 yet, since I haven't messed with it, but that's usually what it is. And if you do get the update, don't be worried it'll mess something up. If the recovery can't install it, it'll just abort it and not mess anything up.

I'd say if you have everything completely stock, you'll be good.

Thanks, that's put my mind at rest a bit now . Just need to wait for an update to come now so I can see!

Quote Originally Posted by danmaytee View Post
    Thanks, that's put my mind at rest a bit now . Just need to wait for an update to come now so I can see!
    Haha yup.

danmaytee likes this.