Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree15Likes
  • 8 Post By B0WIE
  • 1 Post By Prinny Mask
  • 1 Post By kronosqq
  • 1 Post By iknownothing
  • 1 Post By Relgoshan
  • 2 Post By Topgonzo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anybody using his/her M8 as the only camera?

Is anybody using his/her M8 as their main camera? How do you feel about it? Are you satisfied with the quality?

I am on the fence here. The last years I always had my iPhone as my only camera, and I was quite happy with it. The question is though, is the quality of the M8 sufficient enough for normal sized pictures print outs?
    Retina iMac, iPad Air 2, HTC One M9 Gunmetal Gray
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts

Default Re: Anybody using his/her M8 as the only camera?

The camera is absolutely great. I'm actually taking better pictures on the M8 than with any previous phone. Anybody using his/her M8 as the only camera?-uploadfromtaptalk1399584012290.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I use it as my only camera. I don't do prints but I take lots of pictures to show people from my phone and upload to social sites/forums. Works great.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've stopped carrying my dslr altogether. I love the M8 can and the effects are above everything else. I never use effects, but the ones on the m8 are great and really fun. I've posted a number of pics in the sticky thread at the top, as have others.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

No way. I'm glad everyone else is having a great time with the M8 camera. Personally, it's not good enough for more than casual photos, for myself and my purposes. Even then, I usually grab the iPhone 5S. I love being back in Android, and am overall enjoying the M8, but I feel that the camera is garbage.

Main camera: no of course not. I use my Fuji or Nikon for that

But it has never let me down in quality as a point and shoot replacement

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)

Check it

Quote Originally Posted by alyled View Post
    No way. I'm glad everyone else is having a great time with the M8 camera. Personally, it's not good enough for more than casual photos, for myself and my purposes. Even then, I usually grab the iPhone 5S. I love being back in Android, and am overall enjoying the M8, but I feel that the camera is garbage.
    Yea, total garbage;

Thanked by:
    KoukiFC3S, NickA, jdfry15 and 5 others like this.

A very acceptable Facebook camera but not print quality. I think it's fine, there are other solutions including the Sony camera pods. The average picture posted for M8 looks better than the S5 photos but that's partly because they're using garbage image hosts. Galaxy means 50GB free on Dropbox, so why don't they USE it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    A very acceptable Facebook camera but not print quality. I think it's fine, there are other solutions including the Sony camera pods. The average picture posted for M8 looks better than the S5 photos but that's partly because they're using garbage image hosts. Galaxy means 50GB free on Dropbox, so why don't they USE it.
    I'm not one to makes excuses when something absolutely sucks I have no problem saying so but who actually prints photos these days? If I wanted to print photos I surely wouldn't do it with pictures taken from a cell phone no matter how great the camera is. Back in the days my mom used to take pictures get them developed and put them in a photo album. Are people who print pictures taken with their phones doing the same?

I'd say it's my main since it's always on me, and I'm perfectly okay with using it when I don't have my mirrorless.

I've never seen a Foo Dog look so good in my life.
    Anybody using his/her M8 as the only camera?-imag0170.jpg
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999
    B0WIE likes this.

It's my main camera for causal photography from a day to day basis, but if I'm going to do some serious project or photo shoot it's not going to replace my DSLR. But no phone camera is going to do that, they're just not intended to be the same kind of device.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Yeah I guess I am.

I have a micro 4/3 camera (one of those mirrorless cameras) which I don't carry around regularly, so the only device I really take photos with is my HTC One. It takes good shots for pretty much anything I need.

Granted, if I were to go on holiday or some event where I know I'll be taking lots of photos, then I'd take my dedicated camera. Outside of that, the One's camera is fine for snapping pics.

I really want to trust this camera, but I have a question for those who love it and use it as their only day to day: do you feel like it's going to stand the test of time? I stand by 2yr contracts and do not like to waste money terminating, and I have a family plan and am not bold enough to go prepaid, so I always try and buy something that keeps me going for 2yrs without having to worry about stale tech.

Currently have the GS3 and I still take better photos (with little to no tinkering with settings) than my friends with the iPhone 5S. I just want to be confident that this phone is going to be a powerful shooter in 2016. That's why 4mp bothers me regardless of the One's depth and low light features.

Posted via Android Central App

4mp is an 8x10 photo. That will not change in two years. It will still do macro photos well, portraits will still be excellent, and it still won't zoom like other cameras. In my opinion it's possible to hide a bad picture with megapixels, which I think is the biggest benefit of having a big camera on a phone. But when it comes to actually taking a good picture pixels are probably just about the least important thing. Unless you're making posters. If you're making posters you should totally buy another phone.

B0WIE likes this.

Simple rule of thumb with all phone cameras is don't zoom and don't crop.
    Move closer or frame the picture properly in the first place, you're not going to be able to sort these things in post process so avoid them, but that goes for all phone cameras.
    Yes, a 20mp phone camera or above will be better to zoom and crop but it'll still look like ****, so being more **** with the M8 is neither here nor there.

Don't use a phone camera to print large prints - if you are printing a poster sized pictures then you should be using a DSLR and a large professional photo printer anyway that exhibitions and sign makers use.

I use the M8 as my main camera as I have with all my phones and the M8 is the only one I enjoy taking pictures with for the joy of taking pictures not just to capture something important.

I miss my M8 camera, the Note 2 camera is so... utilitarian

EDIT:
    That's not to say the M8 camera is perfect, far from it.
    But it's an absolutely joy to use and really good fun effects - and that's become far more important to me than MPs.
    Thanked by 2:
    mikeocraziel 

I am typically a 'set it to automatic' and leave it at that type of smartphone camera user. With my previous phone (GS3) I constantly had it freeze up on me whether shooting video or taking shots. Scrolling through the gallery was painful. This phone is flawless and smooth and the shots in my opinion are better than my GS3. Of course this is the only camera I use. I'm not a camera freak though, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt if that is a huge priority for you. I will say it is funny to read about the megapixel debate. I can't remember the last time I printed a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by spawndoodling View Post
    I really want to trust this camera, but I have a question for those who love it and use it as their only day to day: do you feel like it's going to stand the test of time? I stand by 2yr contracts and do not like to waste money terminating, and I have a family plan and am not bold enough to go prepaid, so I always try and buy something that keeps me going for 2yrs without having to worry about stale tech.

Currently have the GS3 and I still take better photos (with little to no tinkering with settings) than my friends with the iPhone 5S. I just want to be confident that this phone is going to be a powerful shooter in 2016. That's why 4mp bothers me regardless of the One's depth and low light features.

The M8 camera in 2016 will be exactly the same as it is in 2014 so not sure what you mean about it not standing the test of time.
    Yes of course the phone cameras in 2016 will be much better than now but we'll have to wait till 2016 to use them.
    Technology moves on and things improve each year but that doesn't mean the current tech is worse next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibbster View Post
    The M8 camera in 2016 will be exactly the same as it is in 2014 so not sure what you mean about it not standing the test of time.
    Yes of course the phone cameras in 2016 will be much better than now but we'll have to wait till 2016 to use them.
    Technology moves on and things improve each year but that doesn't mean the current tech is worse next year.
    I think you missed what I meant. Obviously technology will be better in 2016. And obviously cameras then will be better.

What I am trying to articulate is that in 2014, my two year old GS3 continues to take superb photos that are near or at the quality of even the best phones on the market. I wanted to know - given the One's miserably low MP count - if M8 owners feel like their phone will still be at the top of the heap in two years time.

I, like many people on this forum, like to have the best device possible on my hands. Although my GS3 is two years old and finally starting to show its age, it continues to perform well and its camera continues to surprise me in a good way. I have to say, 8mp in the camera definitely makes a difference. Which is more than the M8, one of the reasons why I'm asking how people feel.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spawndoodling View Post
    I think you missed what I meant. Obviously technology will be better in 2016. And obviously cameras then will be better.

What I am trying to articulate is that in 2014, my two year old GS3 continues to take superb photos that are near or at the quality of even the best phones on the market. I wanted to know - given the One's miserably low MP count - if M8 owners feel like their phone will still be at the top of the heap in two years time.

I, like many people on this forum, like to have the best device possible on my hands. Although my GS3 is two years old and finally starting to show its age, it continues to perform well and its camera continues to surprise me in a good way. I have to say, 8mp in the camera definitely makes a difference. Which is more than the M8, one of the reasons why I'm asking how people feel.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
    If HTC don't fix the exposure issues with the camera over the next year or so, it will be a missed opportunity, but for me the M8 camera doesn't need more MP so no matter what the competitor cameras run at over the next two years it won't change how I feel about the M8.

Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    What exactly is print quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    I'm not one to makes excuses when something absolutely sucks I have no problem saying so but who actually prints photos these days? If I wanted to print photos I surely wouldn't do it with pictures taken from a cell phone no matter how great the camera is. Back in the days my mom used to take pictures get them developed and put them in a photo album. Are people who print pictures taken with their phones doing the same?
    I'm still ready to spend money to print a good picture in a decent size. Junk digital photo frames notwithstanding. And I does not can Facebook, the people on there....
    Topgonzo likes this.

Who prints out pictures? Honestly I mean most pics are just loaded up to social networks and facebook. Yes maybe once a year I print a 5x7 if I have a new girlfriend that wants a pic in the living room and it's great for that. The days of printing out pics is pretty much over. If folks are wanting to do that then they normally have a dedicated camera for that and don't rely solely on a phone.

Relgoshan and James E1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibbster View Post
    If HTC don't fix the exposure issues with the camera over the next year or so, it will be a missed opportunity, but for me the M8 camera doesn't need more MP so no matter what the competitor cameras run at over the next two years it won't change how I feel about the M8.
    They should definitely improve auto exposure, but as long as you're willing to select the exposure point yourself sometimes there is no "exposure problem".

Sent from my HTC One M8

Yeah I'm going to, I only upload pictures to Facebook and Imgur, I never get them printed.
    I'm gonna get flak but I'd rather have Sense over Stock Android for my daily driver.