Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By heath patrick
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Free tethering

What all is involved to get a free hotspot? Or does Foxfi work?
    ImmaSlave4U likes this.

Default Re: Free tethering

Foxfi works for me just fine on Sprint. Haven't found anything for WiFi tethering but for USB and Bluetooth it seems to work great. For the WiFi, rooting should fix that problem.

Sent from my HTC One M8

FoxFi users beware. I used that app in conjunction with PDA Net+ and it used a crap-load of data, opposite of what the app initially claimed.

But for the time I had it, it worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Preformer19 View Post
    FoxFi users beware. I used that app in conjunction with PDA Net+ and it used a crap-load of data, opposite of what the app initially claimed.

But for the time I had it, it worked great.
    Why wouldn't it use a lot of data? It can't magically not use any.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    Why wouldn't it use a lot of data? It can't magically not use any.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    Let me restate...

FoxFi users beware. I used that app in conjunction with PDA Net+ and it used a crap-load of data FOR WHICH VERIZON CHARGED MY ACCOUNT WITH, opposite of what the app initially claimed, avoiding the data fees from your cellular network provider...

Let me restate...

FoxFi users beware. I used that app in conjunction with PDA Net+ and it used a crap-load of data FOR WHICH VERIZON CHARGED MY ACCOUNT WITH, opposite of what the app initially claimed, avoiding the data fees from your cellular network provider...
    I don't remember where it claims to avoid data fees. You may avoid the tethering fee you have to pay your carrier but actually hiding the data usage fully? That's impossible.. It goes through their network.

Do you have a screenshot of where this claim is made?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:

This is from the actual page:
    PdaNet+ is one of the top Android applications of all time. PdaNet+ shares the Internet access of your Android phone with your computer or tablet. PdaNet+ works on all Android phones without rooting. It also does not require a tether plan, that will save you $20/month from most carriers.
    I've been using Foxfi and now PdaNet for a long time. It works well.(Wired tether, since JB update) It's tethering app, not a free data app.....If you don't have an unlimited data plan, I would be very careful.
    MIKE
    HTC ONE M8 HK Edition

Maybe I misinterpreted what the app was putting out.

So it avoids the tethering, or Hotspot fee on Verizon, but the data is still charged to your account.

Got it.

Maybe I misinterpreted what the app was putting out.

So it avoids the tethering, or Hotspot fee on Verizon, but the data is still charged to your account.

Got it.
    Exactly. Nothing you do is going to hide data usage. In addition to that, Tethering is always going to use more data than regular use on the phone since you're loading full web-pages rather than mobile more often, and often streaming less compressed media.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I don't remember where it claims to avoid data fees. You may avoid the tethering fee you have to pay your carrier but actually hiding the data usage fully? That's impossible.. It goes through their network.

Do you have a screenshot of where this claim is made?

Correct, all these tethering apps only claim to hide that the data was tethering, not the data usage itself.

Also, keep in mind that using these apps, while legal, may violate the terms with the carrier. For example Verizon explicitly doesn't allow tethering on their unlimited data plan. If you need tethering then you would have to pay for the unlimited hotspot plan.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3