Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "10 attempts until device data is wiped" How do you get rid of that?

So does it really wipe your device data if you fail to unlock it 10 times or is it just to scare people? Also, how do I change it so it says something else? Or so it doesn't wipe device data?
    I'm gonna get flak but I'd rather have Sense over Stock Android for my daily driver.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,527 Global Posts

Default Re: "10 attempts until device data is wiped" How do you get rid of that?

It does wipe it, I've tried it before. Check Security settings.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: "10 attempts until device data is wiped" How do you get rid of that?

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    It does wipe it, I've tried it before. Check Security settings.
    Nothing in security settings. What the ****?
    I'm gonna get flak but I'd rather have Sense over Stock Android for my daily driver.

So if someone stole a phone with a pass code on it, they could just wipe it and be set?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by puremeerkat View Post
    So if someone stole a phone with a pass code on it, they could just wipe it and be set?

Yup.

You can't disable this.

*Edit* The ideology behind this is if someone gets hold of your phone, they can't steal any of your sensitive information, because the device data would have been deleted by the time they try to access your password 10 times.

My phone takes a picture after 3 attempts. Thank you Lookout

Sent from my HTC One M8
    ki11ak3nn and Preformer19 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezerb View Post

Sent from my HTC One M8
    I have the same setup on my phone. Handy little thing Lookout Mobile Security came up with.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Geezerb View Post

Sent from my HTC One M8
    What does the picture do?

Sends it to the email address of your choice. Evidence of the person that stole or F'd with your phone.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Knowing of the camera trick I would abuse it to mess with my friends....you know you would too.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Preformer19 View Post
    Yup.

You can't disable this.

*Edit* The ideology behind this is if someone gets hold of your phone, they can't steal any of your sensitive information, because the device data would have been deleted by the time they try to access your password 10 times.
    Wow. They didn't take in account people who have children or friends who would mess with their phone.

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by CannedBullets View Post
    Wow. They didn't take in account people who have children or friends who would mess with their phone.

Why would you let friends have a free load on your phone?

A d why would this scare people?

Posted via Android Central App on the HTC One M8
    My cell phone history for the last decade.

2005/2006: Motorola W315, Motorola razr
    2007: Motorola W385
    2008: HTC shadow
    2009/2010: Motorola i335, Motorola i9, Blackbery 8330,
    2010: HTC EVO 4G
    2011: HTC EVO 3D, HTC rezound
    2012: HTC EVO LTE
    2014: HTC ONE M8.

Quote Originally Posted by CannedBullets View Post

1) Keep the phone away from children...
    2) Get some new friends...lol...
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

I like and dislike this security feature. I like that all your data is wiped if your phone is lost or stolen. I dislike that whoever finds or steals your phone has a fresh new phone to call his own. There should be a feature that bricks or renders the phone unusable after it's wiped like iPhone where you need to enter your iCloud password in order to restore it. Maybe HTC can enable something similar as well.
    Relgoshan and Dizfunctions like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    I like and dislike this security feature. I like that all your data is wiped if your phone is lost or stolen. I dislike that whoever finds or steals your phone has a fresh new phone to call his own.
    Hmm...

Availability to all your sensitive data that could inadvertently lead to credit cards, home addresses, and other valuable information being stolen? Or having to cough up a measly $150-$200 for another phone compared to the financial problems you could have had if you didn't password protect it?

I'll take the second option...

Better yet be careful with your phone and not leaving it whereever. A smartphone is not only expensive but contains your personal information. One would think people would be more careful to not lose the phone. I have yet to lose a phone since I owned one. I'm fairly careful with it. I don't let anyone use it except my wife.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    785 Global Posts

I have the same setup on my phone. Handy little thing Lookout Mobile Security came up with.
    Cerberus has had this feature for quite some time as well.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

I'd rather have the phone locked after 10 attempts and become unlockable only after doing some kind of external verification (by phone or internet)

1) Keep the phone away from children...
    2) Get some new friends...lol...
    My daughter pick pockets my phone from my pocket without my knowledge. Personally I think that you should be able to turn this feature off.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Does this setting really have to do with the phone? I am connected to my work's exchange server and they have the security settings set on that to wipe the phone after 10 attempts. When I added the Exchange account, it gave me the warning that one of the permissions it needed was to wipe the phone. So are you guys saying that the phone automatically will wipe the phone on its own and these settings are not just created by an Exchange server you may be connected to?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by pootyash View Post
    I'd rather have the phone locked after 10 attempts and become unlockable only after doing some kind of external verification (by phone or internet)

I think they do that for iOS. Yeah I'd prefer that over this nuclear option.

I believe it should be an option as well. I am shocked it isn't. .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    9,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Maybe something that is tied to your Google account? If the phone locks then so does your Google account. Only way to unlock both is to verify user and reset it?

I see how the nuclear option is good, but can also see the reasons why it may not be so good as discussed within this thread.

Wait, but is it actually encrypted whole-device by default or can you just boot recovery and rip files the old fashioned way as a blob? Because that works on way too many phones.

ALL my data is in the cloud... either on Gmail, Dropbox, or Evernote. I want this to wipe my device... it is either in front of me or it's in my pocket. I don't leave it with kids.
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, ASUS ZenWatch, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast