Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OTG devices?

Has anyone used any OTG (On The Go) devices for their phone before?

From what I understand, this piece of equipment (a small cord containing a micro USB port on one side and a USB port on the other) allows the user to make certain USB devices interact with their phone (such as a mini computer mouse or a flash/thumb drive), and, in the case of the flash/thumb drive, enable the user to view content from the USB on their phone via a file manager.

It seems cool. Seems like it could be useful. They aren't expensive either, so I may pick one up. Just wanted input as to if anyone out there uses one and what the advantages/disadvantages are.

Default Re: OTG devices?

I bought two cables for like 5 bucks. I haven't gotten my Seagate to be recognized on the m8 though. Its recognized on my n7 however and n5 with root. So I think I may just need root to get it to work.

Otg support is kinda wonky with android.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'd like to stay away from rooting. Not my thing.

But since they're cheap I might as well try it.

98 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

I have a bunch of 64gb Micro SD cards and I was using a Meenova on my m7 and GS4 but it won't work on my M8, just sits there and mounts and unmounts. I just bought a OTG cable last week and all my USB flash drives work fine and using a SD/Micro SD to USB adapter allows me to use my extra Micro SD cards on my M8 with no problems. I like to load up the extra cards with Blu-ray movies copied to them to watch when traveling.

Oh I also just got this SanDisk Ultra 64GB USB OTG Flash Drive. I don't have to use the OTG cable and is has a micro USB on one end and and full size USB on the other. Makes it easy to plug it into my work computer, copy files then just plugged it directly into my phone. Cool little device. I'll attach pics of it. Wish it had more than 64GB of storage built in but it is what it is. Actually I wish the Meenova worked.

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OTG devices?-104350.jpg   OTG devices?-104351.jpg   OTG devices?-104352.jpg