Squeeze the most out of M8: tips + tricks + tweaks

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi M8 users! share tips here I will keep the first post updated!

Maximize Battery performance
check for updates
Settings > Software Updates > Check Now
My T-mobile m8 battery life appears to have gotten significantly better after "the" Extreme Power Saver update. So I would say this is your priority before the following tunes ups.

Turn off unnecessary syncs
Settings > Accounts & sync
- turn off the syncs don't you don't need. And if you use google+ to auto backup photos, it'd definitely help if you make sure "While charging only" is checked. That way you aren't uploading + draining battery when not pugged-in
- turn off htc mail sync. Personally, I use gmail. So unless I am in Extreme Power saver mode, I also don't use htc mail at all.
- turn off unused calendar sync. I am used to Google calendar, so i just go into HTC calendar and uncheck all the accounts except my Gmail one. (keeping it just so that in extreme power saver I fill can see my appointments) Then I turned off the notification so that I don't get reminders from both calendar apps.

Uninstall / disable unnecessary apps
- in Settings / Apps
Most apps can either be uninstalled or disabled. First look at the apps and see which ones are running, make sure it's safe to be uninstalled / disabled, then go to ALL tab and just get rid of it there.

Check for power draining apps
Settings / Power / Usage
look out for apps that can potentially drain your juice and uninstall / unsync / disable it

Remove Blinkfeed
I thought Blinkfeed is pretty cool, but i dont use it enough to justify the power that it uses. To get rid of it, simply go to Blinkfeed page, pinch with two fingers, hold and drag to remove it

Make sure battery saver is turned on
Settings / Power / Power saver
Make sure it's checked

Minimize Vibration
- I think vibrate is unnecessary in google now.
hold home key / swipe up / In google now, go all the way down / hit 3 dots for "Settings" / notifications / uncheck Vibrate
- Also in Sound / Vibrate on touch / I think it's uncessary power wasted there as well, so I'd uncheck it.

Wi-Fi Is Good. Cellular Can Be Expensive.
The cellular radio in your phone is more power hungry than the Wi-Fi radio. To preserve juice, stick to Wi-Fi as often as you can. To update apps only when Wi-Fi is available, go to the Settings menu, select About, and then choose Software updates. Check the box for the "Update over Wi-Fi only" option.

factory reset
Nothing else worked? People also reported battery performance improvement after factory reset. Maybe try that too if you have tried everything else.

Show % battery level in status bar
Show EXACTLY the % of battery power next to battery icon: Settings > Power > Show battery level

Hiding + disabling bloatware
For those who dont want to root phones, a quick way to deal with bloatware is to disabling the bloatwares and hiding them. So just in app settings, you can simply disable the apps you dont want to run in the back ground. You can also choose to hide apps you dont want to show in the apps menu by hitting the 3dot button

Samsung Ringtones
coming from a galaxy s3, I really miss my old ring tones. Finally! I found this forum with all the ringtones. To use the ringtones, simply download, unzip and put into your ring tones folder!

Attachments

• art-dalvik-2.jpg
    art-dalvik-2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: M8: Share your tricks & tips

This one is a but hidden but has been on htc sense since 2010, maybe earlier.

When you get to phone, gallery etc. You can tap and hold the tabs on top and rearrange then and even hide select ones.

Same can be done on older sense phones with the huge round tabs on the bottom

Posted via Android Central App on the HTC One M8

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Used my tips from above...

Managed to pull off 70% power left after 8 hours of moderate to light usage. Email, calling, YouTube, AC, facebook, Twitter etc, Chrome

Which is plenty of juice for rest of the evening

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 12582.jpg
    12582.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 79

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I just switched runtime to ART and it re booted and Android upgraded, and optimized all the apps.... Seems even snappier, so far.

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
In the HTC music app you can turn any MP3 on your phone into a ringtone. Hit the dots button and simply hit make ringtone.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I really need to stop reading this forum until I get my phone on Sunday. My mouth is watering at the thought of 70% battery left after 8 hours of the day. I generally have about 20% left on my current phone, and that's with the extended battery (3000 mAh!!!!) and very little use.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the only problem with ART is that there are some apps that just aren't compatible. For example, MLBTV won't load when on ART. Otherwise, I agree that ART feels even smoother than dalvik on this phone.

AMcKinley12

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Something else that everyone might not know about is that there is a built-in FM tuner on the M8 on all carriers. A great app to utilize this is NextRadio, it's a new, interactive way to listen to local radio. The best part is that it doesn't use up data or battery life. A great alternative to iHeart, Pandora, or TuneIn (which usually kills my battery)

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Something else that everyone might not know about is that there is a built-in FM tuner on the M8 on all carriers. A great app to utilize this is NextRadio, it's a new, interactive way to listen to local radio. The best part is that it doesn't use up data or battery life. A great alternative to iHeart, Pandora, or TuneIn (which usually kills my battery)

cool tip man! i'll add it to the llst

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Cool day I broke my own record

12+ hours with 30% battery left
Used my phone without holding back. was using youtube & netflix for chromecast 2 tv streaming, google map navigation, yelp, plume for twitter, AC, chrome, gmail, calendar, AND quite a few phone calls.

Gotta say, I am really happy and impressed now.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-20-23-09-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-20-23-09-40.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 45

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
omg...... more than like half of the tips i typed up all disappeared from first post... holy #$@%@#$% anyway I can rollback to previous verions?
maybe my AC edit messed it up :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie