Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mfreeland
  • 1 Post By dty06
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Hi M8 users! share tips here I will keep the first post updated!

Maximize Battery performance
    check for updates
    Settings > Software Updates > Check Now
    My T-mobile m8 battery life appears to have gotten significantly better after "the" Extreme Power Saver update. So I would say this is your priority before the following tunes ups.

Turn off unnecessary syncs
    Settings > Accounts & sync
    - turn off the syncs don't you don't need. And if you use google+ to auto backup photos, it'd definitely help if you make sure "While charging only" is checked. That way you aren't uploading + draining battery when not pugged-in
    - turn off htc mail sync. Personally, I use gmail. So unless I am in Extreme Power saver mode, I also don't use htc mail at all.
    - turn off unused calendar sync. I am used to Google calendar, so i just go into HTC calendar and uncheck all the accounts except my Gmail one. (keeping it just so that in extreme power saver I fill can see my appointments) Then I turned off the notification so that I don't get reminders from both calendar apps.

Uninstall / disable unnecessary apps
    - in Settings / Apps
    Most apps can either be uninstalled or disabled. First look at the apps and see which ones are running, make sure it's safe to be uninstalled / disabled, then go to ALL tab and just get rid of it there.

Check for power draining apps
    Settings / Power / Usage
    look out for apps that can potentially drain your juice and uninstall / unsync / disable it

Remove Blinkfeed
    I thought Blinkfeed is pretty cool, but i dont use it enough to justify the power that it uses. To get rid of it, simply go to Blinkfeed page, pinch with two fingers, hold and drag to remove it

Make sure battery saver is turned on
    Settings / Power / Power saver
    Make sure it's checked

Minimize Vibration
    - I think vibrate is unnecessary in google now.
    hold home key / swipe up / In google now, go all the way down / hit 3 dots for "Settings" / notifications / uncheck Vibrate
    - Also in Sound / Vibrate on touch / I think it's uncessary power wasted there as well, so I'd uncheck it.

Wi-Fi Is Good. Cellular Can Be Expensive.
    The cellular radio in your phone is more power hungry than the Wi-Fi radio. To preserve juice, stick to Wi-Fi as often as you can. To update apps only when Wi-Fi is available, go to the Settings menu, select About, and then choose Software updates. Check the box for the "Update over Wi-Fi only" option.

factory reset
    Nothing else worked? People also reported battery performance improvement after factory reset. Maybe try that too if you have tried everything else.

Show % battery level in status bar
    Show EXACTLY the % of battery power next to battery icon: Settings > Power > Show battery level

Hiding + disabling bloatware
    For those who dont want to root phones, a quick way to deal with bloatware is to disabling the bloatwares and hiding them. So just in app settings, you can simply disable the apps you dont want to run in the back ground. You can also choose to hide apps you dont want to show in the apps menu by hitting the 3dot button

Samsung Ringtones
    coming from a galaxy s3, I really miss my old ring tones. Finally! I found this forum with all the ringtones. To use the ringtones, simply download, unzip and put into your ring tones folder!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squeeze the most out of M8:  tips + tricks + tweaks-art-dalvik-2.jpg  
    Last edited by jackoceanz; 05-20-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: M8: Share your tricks & tips

This one is a but hidden but has been on htc sense since 2010, maybe earlier.

When you get to phone, gallery etc. You can tap and hold the tabs on top and rearrange then and even hide select ones.

Same can be done on older sense phones with the huge round tabs on the bottom

Posted via Android Central App on the HTC One M8
    My cell phone history for the last decade.

2005/2006: Motorola W315, Motorola razr
    2007: Motorola W385
    2008: HTC shadow
    2009/2010: Motorola i335, Motorola i9, Blackbery 8330,
    2010: HTC EVO 4G
    2011: HTC EVO 3D, HTC rezound
    2012: HTC EVO LTE
    2014: HTC ONE M8.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: M8: Share your tricks & tips

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Default Re: Squeeze the most out of M8: tips + tricks + tweaks

Used my tips from above...

Managed to pull off 70% power left after 8 hours of moderate to light usage. Email, calling, YouTube, AC, facebook, Twitter etc, Chrome

Which is plenty of juice for rest of the evening

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squeeze the most out of M8:  tips + tricks + tweaks-12582.jpg  

I just switched runtime to ART and it re booted and Android upgraded, and optimized all the apps.... Seems even snappier, so far.
    MIKE
    HTC ONE M8 HK Edition
    jackoceanz likes this.

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

In the HTC music app you can turn any MP3 on your phone into a ringtone. Hit the dots button and simply hit make ringtone.
    Thanked by:

I really need to stop reading this forum until I get my phone on Sunday. My mouth is watering at the thought of 70% battery left after 8 hours of the day. I generally have about 20% left on my current phone, and that's with the extended battery (3000 mAh!!!!) and very little use.
    jackoceanz likes this.

I think the only problem with ART is that there are some apps that just aren't compatible. For example, MLBTV won't load when on ART. Otherwise, I agree that ART feels even smoother than dalvik on this phone.
    Thanked by:

Something else that everyone might not know about is that there is a built-in FM tuner on the M8 on all carriers. A great app to utilize this is NextRadio, it's a new, interactive way to listen to local radio. The best part is that it doesn't use up data or battery life. A great alternative to iHeart, Pandora, or TuneIn (which usually kills my battery)
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by AMcKinley12 View Post
    Something else that everyone might not know about is that there is a built-in FM tuner on the M8 on all carriers. A great app to utilize this is NextRadio, it's a new, interactive way to listen to local radio. The best part is that it doesn't use up data or battery life. A great alternative to iHeart, Pandora, or TuneIn (which usually kills my battery)
    cool tip man! i'll add it to the llst
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by THARD11 View Post
    In the HTC music app you can turn any MP3 on your phone into a ringtone. Hit the dots button and simply hit make ringtone.
    cool i just added this to the list
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Cool day I broke my own record

12+ hours with 30% battery left
    Used my phone without holding back. was using youtube & netflix for chromecast 2 tv streaming, google map navigation, yelp, plume for twitter, AC, chrome, gmail, calendar, AND quite a few phone calls.

Gotta say, I am really happy and impressed now.

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squeeze the most out of M8:  tips + tricks + tweaks-screenshot_2014-05-20-23-09-40.jpg  
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

omg...... more than like half of the tips i typed up all disappeared from first post... holy #$@%@#$% anyway I can rollback to previous verions?
    maybe my AC edit messed it up