Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Prospective buyer questions: About that navigation bar...

I'm looking at purchasing an m8, but there is one concern that I'd like to get advice on.

My main concern is with the device's on-screen navigation buttons. I'll most likely be using the phone for apps, most likely games, along with normal calling and Internet. Are the navigation buttons a deal breaker in this case? Or is it not that big of a deal in normal use?

Default Re: Prospective buyer questions: About that navigation bar...

They go away in many apps and games. Depends on your preference. I wish they would have put the buttons in the bar with the HTC text but not a deal breaker for me. Too many other good things with the phone also there is an app out there that can autohide the buttons for you as well.

Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

In my case they were not a deal breaker at all, my previous android phone was the galaxy nexus which pioneered the on-screen buttons. They are not for everyone as for normal phone operation they take away some of your screen real estate but as was stated they dissapear for some apps (most video apps including Netflix and YouTube )

Until you get used to them you may notice that you hit them accidently while you are typing. But that was easy enough to overcome.

Sent from my HTC One (M8) using tapatalk

Most phones are being pushed by Google to have on screen buttons. Samsung seems to be going in their own direction, not in all good ways either lol. But Nexus 5, G2, G3, M8, LG Flex most recent phones are going that way it seems.

I personally like the on screen buttons, like mentioned they disapear with media and gaming. Google is also starting to modify their apps so the buttons will be transparent etc...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

I personally like them, and for most things I could care less about a few extra pixels on the bottom of the screen being usable for the app I'm in. There are apps that'll hide them too, just with a preset swipe trigger from one of the corners of the screen.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Honestly if you are into the game itself you probably won't notice the black bar. However if you or are playing something that has horizontal orientation, and you keep looking at the black bar / menu buttons, it might bother you abit. The screen also feels off to the left abit, since it's larger on right with the bar.

Some games don't hide it and the fact that it is lit all times doesn't help. In the end of the day, I think it doesn't matter too much. The phone is blazing fast compared to other phones. I think I'd rather deal with the menu button bar.

So my answer is, no I don't think it's a deal breaker. You may not like it, but it's certainly not bad enough IMHO. Like if you are really gonna be annoyed by it, you will be. Just don't think too much of it, then it would b okay. And like anything new, it will take some time to get used to.

I'd get it and try it out. If you don't like it just return within the policy.

Posted via Android Central App