Battery life degradation

thepurpleturtle

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I've always heard the fact that battery capacity/life degrades 50% per year. Is that really true? If not, what rate should I expect it to degrade since I'm on a two year contract.(keep in mind the m8 has a LiPo battery)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So what ways can I use to reduce degradation and what rates can I expect?
The truth is that any major degradation you would experience won't happen in the time frame you have the phone. It takes years for major changes to occur w/ the battery under normal conditions. The more important thing is how to maintain good battery health and that's pretty simple: DO NOT allow the battery to die completely. If your at 10% and your phone is not on the charger, you're doing it wrong. HEAT IS THE ENEMY! Shorter charging cycles are good because they keep the temperature in check and there is no concern w/ charge memory like old nickel batteries. Also, keep the temperature of the phone as low as you can on your own. Don't install a mount in your car that puts your phone in the sun for hours on end. I generally use clips and mount it to the AC vent. But do not go to the other extreme and put a hot phone in the freezer. This is bad. I know from personal experience so please do not ask anymore questions about it.

Posted via Android Central App

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
So what kind of battery life can I expect after 2 years compared to my current one? (I get 6 hours SOT and very good standby)

From what I've read you will get 70% of the original battery capacity after 300-500 FULL discharges.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So like what percentage should I charge my battery at? Like 1% or 30% or 50%

It's best to avoid deep discharges, so waiting until 1% would not be a good idea. Try to charge the phone when it's at 30-50%.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP

This.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've always heard the fact that battery capacity/life degrades 50% per year. Is that really true? If not, what rate should I expect it to degrade since I'm on a two year contract.(keep in mind the m8 has a LiPo battery)

Manufacturing quality is the monster under the bed. Batteries are often warranted anywhere from 90 days to a year, if it does not collapse within a week the next major window is 1-1.5 years. If you still get 70-80% after more than 1.5 years it may not hit the death spiral until year three or later.

So don't stress out, by the time you notice it will be a long time from now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463