Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Divinedark
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question iOS to Android (M8) questions

New to the forum and new to Android from iOS.

I have the HTC One (M8) from T-Mobile. So far so good, but I have a few questions I was hoping to get some insight on.

1. I took a 13 sec video and cannot seem to be able to MMS or Gmail it to anyone due to its size (25 MB). That doesn't seem right, does it? Is there no compression or am I limited to uploading to something like Dropbox and sharing a link?

2. The multiple app option - for example, do you want to open with this app or that app. I feel like I keep telling it "always" but that isn't working. Is there somewhere you can define all of those default apps?

3. Where is the equivalent of the "notification center" in Android - I've got apps sending me notifications every minute or so.

Thanks for helping the new guy,

W

Global Posts
    504 Global Posts

Default Re: iOS to Android (M8) questions

For your first question, you'll need to go into options on the camcorder. I think it's under video quality. The default is HD. You'll need to change it to MMS quality to send that way.

The nice thing, though, is that you can save this as a version of your video app, so you can access it easily from the main menu for the camera app.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.
    Sprint Customer since 2003, 5 lines, currently loving my HTC One. Previous phones - Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, BB Tour, BB Curve, BB Pearl, Palm Centro, LG-Muziq, Katana DLX, LG 550, Sanyo MM 5600, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8100

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

"notification center" is exactly in the same place, just pull down from the notification bar.

The app issue I'm not sure about, although you do have to select defaults each time you use a new app.

I've just come from ios, took me a few weeks to find my way around

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by jhilker View Post
    For your first question, you'll need to go into options on the camcorder. I think it's under video quality. The default is HD. You'll need to change it to MMS quality to send that way.
    Or just shoot the video directly from within the messaging app attachments option. But the better solution is using Dropbox, Google+ or any equivalent and send a link to share the video. That way you have no size or resolution limitations to worry about.

2. Once you select an app option by choosing "always" the choice should not show up again under the same circumstances.
    3. The Notifications are in a pulldown shade, swipe down from the top of the screen, just like iOS 7.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    3. The Notifications are in a pulldown shade, swipe down from the top of the screen, just like iOS 7.
    Sorry - I should have been a little more clear. For the notifications, I'm looking for a place to set my notification preferences. Such as, I don't want to be notified whenever I get a Yahoo email, a linkedIn notification. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by jcw_3 View Post
    Sorry - I should have been a little more clear. For the notifications, I'm looking for a place to set my notification preferences. Such as, I don't want to be notified whenever I get a Yahoo email, a linkedIn notification. Make sense?
    Oh ok my mistake. Under those circumstances you can set it on an app by app basis. With Android you will have settings available within most apps, in particular with messaging and email, that give you better control how the app handles notifying you. Or you can set the global Notification sound to silent if that's what you're after. Unlike iOS there is not a centralized notification center to make those changes for multiple apps.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhilker View Post
    The nice thing, though, is that you can save this as a version of your video app, so you can access it easily from the main menu for the camera app.
    That is very cool, thanks.

Another way for app notifications, you can go into settings - apps and then click on each app. There should be a check mark box at the top that you can disable to turn off notifications. The downside is you have to this for each and every app. Depending on how many you have, it can be quite time consuming

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Here's a screenshot showing what I was referring to:

iOS to Android (M8) questions-uploadfromtaptalk1399919163880.jpg

sent from my HTC One M8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

These are all caused by the same basic headache when moving from IOS to Android, and that's the move away from a unified os/app structure to a more open system. Each app has a configuration all it's own. There is no central spot in Android to blanket configure things for them. There are also situations where some functionality will have multiple layers. For example, when you want to set an app to sync and push data to you, it can be configured at the app level, or at the OS level in the settings->Accounts & Sync->Auto Sync. It's just a change of thinking that you get used to as you get more comfortable with Android. It'll take a bit of time, but you'll get the hang of it.

1.) As others have stated, you either change the quality of the video to MMS or you shoot from inside the messaging app

2.) There are times when you think you've already selected the default for that situation, but there's usually a little difference that Android needs to set the default for. These will eventually go away. You just have to power through with a new Android phone.

3.) All of these things are per app, so in order to kill some notifications you'll need to go into that app and tell it to stop. You could also do as suggested above and use "Apps" in settings to kill them, but it's still per app.
    ttwiitch likes this.

Yeah...Android has this range of great choices but means a longer break-in period. On iOS you find most files either open, or don't open. Android can have capabilities added such as MX Player app, different communications and office apps etc. For each file type it will ask your preference, and after you hit 'always' it *should* stop asking for THAT file type.

It's clunky but in a work environment you can even use different office programs for different types of MS Office files, like if one does better Powerpoint editing and another typesets .docx files more accurately.

It's like ditching the bus pass and buying a bicycle; at first you get lost and frustrated but after a while you have found new places and gained a new confidence in your own skills.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

You guys have been great. This is all very helpful and I think I've turned the corner.

Except in one area: Photos/Videos

So there is "Gallery" and Google Photos and I use Dropbox. So pictures I take are uploading to Dropbox - great. I have had no luck in exporting them to the M8 so I can use them, for example, on a contact record. I do not have a SD card yet. All the pictures I take are also getting saved in Gallery and Google Photos?

Can someone point me to a primer on the difference between them? Seems like Google Photos is trying to replicate what I do with Dropbox and Gallery should be locally stored images - but getting something into the gallery without taking an actual photo (there is no import, etc.).

Or is there some better app I should be using to manage all of these files?

They get saved locally, then Google Photos and the HTC Gallery app can access them.

You already have two apps doing essentially the same thing, no need for a third

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)

I don't use Google photos. I just use my regular built Gallery and back them up in Dropbox. No need for all three....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app