Wow. Three days with the M8 and I'm returning it!

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Man, I researched this to death and was convinced this was almost perfect. I REALLY wanted to like this phone.
After three days, I just am not happy enough to part with $700. A lot of small issues that add up.
* Speakers do sound good, but for all the hype and discussion of added amplifier, they are NOT loud enough. My four-year old Samsung Galaxy Player had stereo speakers that are WAY louder. Not a total deal breaker but disappointing as this was pretty important to me.
* Screen, while being 5", is considerably smaller than the 5" screen on my old device. This is more vertically-oriented and the 3/16" of width that I'm losing makes a pretty substantial difference to me. I never really though about this before, but you can get a 5" diagonal with various rectangle shapes and they will all have different measured area. Everything seems smaller and it's not a good thing. If your width is limited, it really limits how all webpages display. Adding height does not help the limitation.
* Screen is really, really hard to read in daylight. Pretty disappointed. I have the brightness on MAX all the time and it's not as bright as my old Samsung.
* Although my Developer Edition comes with "Productivity " toolset including Polaris Office 5 file explorer, (and HTC said there was no file explorer stock on the M8)- it does not work well. Have no option for Move, or Delete. So, that's not very helpful. the onboard apps are supposed to be trusted by KitKat but does not look good to me. ES File Explorer cannot Move or Delete either.
* Although most people seem to want lighter and thinner products, I find the darned thing too light and thin. It feels like something for a little woman. I do not have big hands but this thing just feels like it's going to drop or disappear; I like something a bit more substantial.
* the camera really is disappointing. Not all the time, but if you're outside and shooting with any sun in the background, forget about it. I use camera for work and need the thing to produce acceptable images...not just in perfect light with sun behind me, but ALL the time. Also, the shutter sound is really barely audible even at full volume. Seems to be no options to change shutter sound from a tiny click to anything more substantial.
* The stock music player is way too basic and does not include much ability to list albums in various ways- and has no equalizer.
* The phone IS long (tall) and with the speakers and the black logo bar, it doesn't mean more screen space.

All in all, I'm disappointed and I just can't "settle" with such an expensive device. I fell in love, had a one-night stand, and realized that this was not the match for me.:'(

I want to thank all the great forum members for answering all my dumb questions; you're a great bunch of guys.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well that sucks.. Hope your next phone will fit your needs better!

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with your next phone. You are right to not want to spend so much on a device you don't like. There are a lot of great phones out there. I'm sure you will find one better suited for you. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jesus Janica

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Lol I'm sorry,but please try to find good sounding/loud front facing speakers on another cell phone..oh wait that's right,you won't find another phone that sounds this good or loud,the HTC one m8 has by far the most loud and beautiful sounding speakers on the smart phone market,hands down,its not even a contest,good luck trying to find another phone that sounds better,you won't.

Posted via Android Central App

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Lol I'm sorry,but please try to find good sounding/loud front facing speakers on another cell phone..oh wait that's right,you won't find another phone that sounds this good or loud,the HTC one m8 has by far the most loud and beautiful sounding speakers on the smart phone market,hands down,its not even a contest,good luck trying to find another phone that sounds better,you won't.

I'm aware of features of the flagship phones. Don't take it personally.
It's just a matter of wanting them to be loud enough. I'll lose speakers/ I'll gain something else. The screen size of the Note 3 will be great, but of course I'll lose the speakers. Such is life.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Sony Xperia z2 has front facing stereo speakers. While the m8's may sound crisper and a tiny bit louder, the z2 is a really close 2nd.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Man, I researched this to death and was convinced this was almost perfect. I REALLY wanted to like this phone.
After three days, I just am not happy enough to part with $700. A lot of small issues that add up.
* Speakers do sound good, but for all the hype and discussion of added amplifier, they are NOT loud enough. My four-year old Samsung Galaxy Player had stereo speakers that are WAY louder. Not a total deal breaker but disappointing as this was pretty important to me.
* Screen, while being 5", is considerably smaller than the 5" screen on my old device. This is more vertically-oriented and the 3/16" of width that I'm losing makes a pretty substantial difference to me. I never really though about this before, but you can get a 5" diagonal with various rectangle shapes and they will all have different measured area. Everything seems smaller and it's not a good thing. If your width is limited, it really limits how all webpages display. Adding height does not help the limitation.
* Screen is really, really hard to read in daylight. Pretty disappointed. I have the brightness on MAX all the time and it's not as bright as my old Samsung.
* Although my Developer Edition comes with "Productivity " toolset including Polaris Office 5 file explorer, (and HTC said there was no file explorer stock on the M8)- it does not work well. Have no option for Move, or Delete. So, that's not very helpful. the onboard apps are supposed to be trusted by KitKat but does not look good to me. ES File Explorer cannot Move or Delete either.
* Although most people seem to want lighter and thinner products, I find the darned thing too light and thin. It feels like something for a little woman. I do not have big hands but this thing just feels like it's going to drop or disappear; I like something a bit more substantial.
* the camera really is disappointing. Not all the time, but if you're outside and shooting with any sun in the background, forget about it. I use camera for work and need the thing to produce acceptable images...not just in perfect light with sun behind me, but ALL the time. Also, the shutter sound is really barely audible even at full volume. Seems to be no options to change shutter sound from a tiny click to anything more substantial.
* The stock music player is way too basic and does not include much ability to list albums in various ways- and has no equalizer.
* The phone IS long (tall) and with the speakers and the black logo bar, it doesn't mean more screen space.

All in all, I'm disappointed and I just can't "settle" with such an expensive device. I fell in love, had a one-night stand, and realized that this was not the match for me.:'(

I want to thank all the great forum members for answering all my dumb questions; you're a great bunch of guys.

You know how many powered bluetooth audio solutions there are now? Further the M8 is actually somewhat dense compared to many plastic featherweights....like my 6" Flex weighs over an ounce less than my old Echo and has TRIPLE the battery...only thing lighter in the size range is a Note 3? I mean literally if an M8 feels light and flippy the Note 3 is made of Flubber.

It was also brought to my attention the Note 3 is less future proof because it lacks some radio capability that the Nexus 5, most LG superphones and a few others can do.

I don't know what to tell you but I feel you might not like any other answers I have to lend.

Daeizm

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Go for what makes you happy. I personally am enjoying this phone. I'm coming from the GS4 and though I had a good time on the Galaxy side, the S5 wasn't enough of a jump for me to stay. But find what YOU like. I'd suggest going into a store and really testing out a phone and maybe even asking a rep for help in finding the phone that answers the call to your needs.

Lilshaq65

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Good luck finding the right phone you looking for. I had plenty of phones over 50 and I have to say the M8 is my favorite and I love everything about it besides for the no folder to copy and delete stuff like you was saying but hopefully future updates will fix that stuff which I think it will. You should wait for the Z2 or iPhone 6 or Note 4 since you don't like the M8.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

gjhoddy

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't sound like you researched the M8 "to death", all your points were extremely well reviewed, discussed and documented online.

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site

Ah, to solve your problems, just get the Z2. Will satisfy you in every way.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
If the best Android device on the market is not good enough for you then you'll never be happy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If the best Android device on the market is not good enough for you then you'll never be happy.

Well sir that's your opinion ;). It isn't exactly a fact for everyone.. Hence why the OP didn't like it.

manni1to

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Well sir that's your opinion ;). It isn't exactly a fact for everyone.. Hence why the OP didn't like it.

Agreed with this. I tried the m8 as well. Wanted to love it. But took it back for an s5 (mainly because of screen issues and proportions) and couldn't be happier.

What's best for YOU is not what's best for EVERYONE.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree if everyone liked the same phone ....well then everybody would have that same phone.
But in the real world everyones needs varies somewhat.
There is nothing wrong with not liking a phone if you find out that its just not for you , that happens.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

Not my opinion. Pocketnow, Engadget, Android Authority, Erica Griffin, Theunlockr, Technobuffalo, other various sources... I can go on all agree that it's one of if not the best Android device on the market. I will agree with those sources. I will never give anyone that only tries a phone for only three days the benefit of the doubt, not happening.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, obviously everyone is different. And it's different reading about a device, holding it in store and really living and working with it. I'll probably wait for the M8 Max /Prime /Ace... That will solve the screen issues.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance