Best way to manage music on Android

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I decided to switch from carrying an ipod and my phone to just using my phone. I'm somewhat picky about my music library, everything has artwork, all the folders are named and labeled properly, there are no duplicate folders, etc. I went onto my computer, and copied the music i wanted on my phone from the itunes folder itself, where the music was already consolidated and arranged, but its still not quite showing up properly on the phone. I will get duplicate albums showing up, there are "unknown" albums that have random things on my phone from downloads, with random pictures as the album covers, etc. I have an album with ringtone and wallpaper, so if i were to shuffle my library, i'd get ringtones mixed in. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for getting everything neat and organized?

Part 2: i have 32gigs internal storage, (after whatever the phone uses for other phone stuff,) and a 32 gig sd card. Does it make sense to have music on one over the other, and if need be, when i accumulate more, can i have it on both? Thanks all.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Get the Google Music Manager on your computer, and upload your music. It can pull right from your itunes. Then you can stream anytime, to any device, just by logging into Google Play via web or app. Guys at work do this through web, then switch to phone when on the road. The key though, is to get it out to your Google Play Music, where you can do cool stuff. You can mark music to be kept locally, and can of course store it all on your device if you want. If you let the app do it though, it should clean up the pics and dupes.

You can hide albums from the Gallery app, which should clean it up at least. Swipe across until albums shows up, and then hit the settings button. I typically hide all my music locations from the Gallery.

I would let the external be the music storage location so you never have a phone memory problem with apps, etc.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
1. delete all music on your phone.

2. get iSyncr from the play store.

3. Sync your music with itunes.

if your music player is showing ringtones and other media files, it is because:

1. you have placed them in your phone's "music" folder, instead of "ringtones" or otherwise.

AND/OR

2. your music player is scanning all available media files to display.

if option 2, check if your music player has a setting whereby you can choose which folders to scan for music - select the one where your music files are located. (ie, if you use isyncr, it will have its own folder).

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Get the Google Music Manager on your computer, and upload your music. It can pull right from your itunes. Then you can stream anytime, to any device, just by logging into Google Play via web or app. Guys at work do this through web, then switch to phone when on the road. The key though, is to get it out to your Google Play Music, where you can do cool stuff. You can mark music to be kept locally, and can of course store it all on your device if you want. If you let the app do it though, it should clean up the pics and dupes.

You can hide albums from the Gallery app, which should clean it up at least. Swipe across until albums shows up, and then hit the settings button. I typically hide all my music locations from the Gallery.

I would let the external be the music storage location so you never have a phone memory problem with apps, etc.

That sounds good. When i opened google music the first time, i saw something to the effect of add 20,000 sounds for free, so i figured at some point they would start charging and i didnt wanna hassle. Also wasn't sure if there would be conflicts with all my torrented music, since i didnt purchase it through the "proper" channels.

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
1. delete all music on your phone.

2. get iSyncr from the play store.

3. Sync your music with itunes.

if your music player is showing ringtones and other media files, it is because:

1. you have placed them in your phone's "music" folder, instead of "ringtones" or otherwise.

AND/OR

2. your music player is scanning all available media files to display.

if option 2, check if your music player has a setting whereby you can choose which folders to scan for music - select the one where your music files are located. (ie, if you use isyncr, it will have its own folder).

I did add the music i want to a specific folder, and i realized the phone is just scanning my entire storage, which is why its showing stuff i dont want, but there was no option to hide or remove stuff. I dont want to delete the things that were showing up, just didn't want them in my music section.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You might try using the blank text files, titled ".nomedia" in those directories you do not want scanned. This can sometimes cause it to not find things you DO want to find though. I had mixed results with it.

Disable Media Scanning in Specific Android Directories With a .Nomedia File

May not be useful for your situation, but perhaps if the app handles where your music is, and then you can just hide it from the rest of Android.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I did add the music i want to a specific folder, and i realized the phone is just scanning my entire storage, which is why its showing stuff i dont want, but there was no option to hide or remove stuff. I dont want to delete the things that were showing up, just didn't want them in my music section.

the reason i suggested to remove everything is because you claim you are seeing duplicates and unknown albums.

sometimes it is best to wipe everything and start anew whilst knowing what you are doing.

and which music player are you using?

i have been using poweramp for quite a while so i am a bit out of touch with other music apps. poweramp does include the option to select which folders to scan for music...

bar1203

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That sounds good. When i opened google music the first time, i saw something to the effect of add 20,000 sounds for free, so i figured at some point they would start charging and i didnt wanna hassle. Also wasn't sure if there would be conflicts with all my torrented music, since i didnt purchase it through the "proper" channels.

90% of my music collection is from torrents & Google has never given me a problem.

Posted via Android Central App

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
the reason i suggested to remove everything is because you claim you are seeing duplicates and unknown albums.

sometimes it is best to wipe everything and start anew whilst knowing what you are doing.

and which music player are you using?

i have been using poweramp for quite a while so i am a bit out of touch with other music apps. poweramp does include the option to select which folders to scan for music...

I've just been using the stock music app. When I say duplicates, I don't necessarily mean there are actually duplicate files; the same thing used to happen on my iPod. If one album you download has id3 tags (that's what they're called right?) with "type o negative" and another has "type o-negative" they will sort separately. Even something as subtle as an extra space by accident can cause it. It took me a while to sort everything out in iTunes, but I guess iTunes didn't alter the actual tags, maybe just how itunes organizes it.

Zakappel

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I think part of my problem was that i had media in folders that weren't "standard" ones. What i mean by that is, there was a proper folder for ringtones, that would hide them from the media player, but then i also had a folder called "ringtones and wallpaper" that had ringtones in it also. For whatever reason, the phone scans the second one, but not the first. So i managed to delete all these extra folders, and wipe all my music, and i got the phone to where it has "no media" when i open the player. That's a good first step i guess. Now i just gotta solve the problem with sloppy id3 tags.

enuffsaid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Like you, I have replaced my iPod Classic with my M8 as my music player. I'm also very picky when it comes to tags. I have album, artist, album art, lyrics, etc correctly tagged. I've currently added approx. 10 gigs of MP3 albums and don't have the issues you are experiencing. Properly tagging your songs / albums is key, however. I use Tag & Rename as my MP3 tagger and it's important to have the "Artist" and "Album Artist" fields properly tagged. Proper file / folder names are not really relevant. All info is taken from the MP3 tags.

I find it a joy to be able to add my music to the phone w/o having to use that horrible iTunes application. I created a "Music" folder in the root of my SD Card and add all my songs / albums to that folder. "Play Music" automatically found my songs and added them to the library. As others have said, you may need to add the .nomedia file to folders where there are images / sounds so they don't show up in your Gallery / Music library.

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I just set my M8 up for music. I used the HTC sync manager, set up playlists on the phone using the OEM music app. I just dragged and dropped songs from my iTunes playlists to the SD card using the created playlists and HTC sync. So far working great. It is also supposed to update playlists when you do the next sync ( have to use USB).

The only thing I am not liking about the stock music app is lack of EQ anyone have a suggestion to fix this?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234