Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

I've heard that one of the main things the m8 is weak on is its camera. I'm currently deciding between the Galaxy s5 and the HTC One m8.... And I don't really know which one to choose. Both seem like good phones.
  2. Best Answer

If you believe more megapixels mean better picture quality, then you will think the m8's camera is weak. If you actually know about cameras and know how to use them, then no the m8 camera is not weak. Pros and cons, that's all they are. The resolution difference between the two is made up by other things on the m8, like better low light pictures, video highlights, Zoes, and better camera software.

In most situations, the two cameras will be very comparable. The s5 can take some very good shots, so can the m8. You have to remember that a camera is a tool and more megapixels won't make you a better photographer.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

I had a Note 3 prior to the M8 and the pictures have been just as good so far. Each phone will have its strengths so you just have to decide what you need personally. For me, the M8 camera does the job. If I want to blow pictures up, I'll use an actual camera.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    soohyungshin likes this.

If you believe more megapixels mean better picture quality, then you will think the m8's camera is weak. If you actually know about cameras and know how to use them, then no the m8 camera is not weak. Pros and cons, that's all they are. The resolution difference between the two is made up by other things on the m8, like better low light pictures, video highlights, Zoes, and better camera software.

In most situations, the two cameras will be very comparable. The s5 can take some very good shots, so can the m8. You have to remember that a camera is a tool and more megapixels won't make you a better photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

In a word, NO.

I am addicted to the M8 camera software and have taken many more pictures than I ever did with my old S4.
    coronaboy10 and cwbcpa like this.

My pictures have been great after I had Sprint remove a film that was on my camera lens

Is it as bad as everyone says? Mostly no, but sometimes yes. It's not a resolution issue though, as many people assume. 4 mpixels is totally adequate for most images, and unless you need to zoom /crop extensively, you will be happy with the quality.

The biggest problem, in my experience, is that the camera is inconsistent when it comes to metering and exposure setting. With the iPhone, for example, you just point it at the scene and take the picture. The camera almost always gets the exposure just right, which makes for a very high percentage of good shots. So high, in fact, that it doesn't even register with most users that exposure metering is something that one has to worry about.

The HTC on the other hand often sets the exposure wrong -sometimes a little and sometimes badly - and the hit rate of good pictures can be lower. This is especially true in images that have high contrast areas. In less contrasty scenes, or at night, the HTC does really well.

It's easy to fix, just tap on the scene in an area more representative of the overall image and then take the picture.

Thanked by:
    nj1266 
    ajnevares and Dizfunctions like this.

You know, I moved from the M7 to the M8, and I don't see much difference. My M7 had the dreaded "purple tint" problem on low light pictures that I ultimately got fixed. Hope that won't reoccur on the M8.

All in all, I feel it performs pretty admirably. I really love some of the new features (especially the 360 degree pictures..very cool).

I think you have to ask how important the camera is to you. I just ordered a Canon G16 for more important shots.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.
    Sprint Customer since 2003, 5 lines, currently loving my HTC One. Previous phones - Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, BB Tour, BB Curve, BB Pearl, Palm Centro, LG-Muziq, Katana DLX, LG 550, Sanyo MM 5600, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8100

M8 is a great camera

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC One M8

Personally I don't like it as I want to just point and shoot on auto and get a decent shot. It's not that easy with the M8 outdoors or even lots of light indoors. Maybe I'll change my mind after a another week.
    Thanked by:
    nj1266 

Quote Originally Posted by galaumen View Post
    I've heard that one of the main things the m8 is weak on is its camera. I'm currently deciding between the Galaxy s5 and the HTC One m8.... And I don't really know which one to choose. Both seem like good phones.
    http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-con...1/36/smile.gif
    It can still take shots better than 95% of what people share online, it's not really bad but sometimes fiddly and to compensate, htc lets you define your own settings combos intstead of locking a couple (often bad) predefined modes like other brands. If you crop and edit it will lack some small clarity, but the source pictures tend to have good contrast and saturation.

Compared to the S5, call it two different schools of thought. And since the viewport for a shared image is often less than ONE megapixel even now, M8 and S5 downscale hard either way. Don't sweat this unless you plan to edit and print, in which case a good chance NEITHER phone is good enough.

it isnt as people think of the MP, pictures are soft and sharp

Who said it's bad? It's not bad. It's just not the best. I'd say it's in the top 15 of cell phone cameras. Wifey has the S4 and the M8's camera is far better than the S4. Could HTC have done more with the camera and made it better? Sure. Does it suck? No. I never said it sucks. I just feel that they could have spent more on the camera and made it a better camera, but that doesn't answer your question. No it isn't bad and compared to the Samsung cameras, it is better, IMO.
    Proud owner of: Rooted Black LG G3 & Rooted White LG G2
    Gone But Not Forgotten: OG Droid, Dinc, Droid Charge, iPhone 4, Bionic, Razr Maxx & Maxx HD, iPhone 5, SG3, HTC One Maxx, HTC One (M8), iPhone 6, and Droid Turbo (Ask me anything about them. I remember them all.)

Quote Originally Posted by cwbcpa View Post
    I had a Note 3 prior to the M8 and the pictures have been just as good so far. Each phone will have its strengths so you just have to decide what you need personally. For me, the M8 camera does the job. If I want to blow pictures up, I'll use an actual camera.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Well said. If you really want a superb photo, use a camera, not phone. And my phone does an excellent job.

Quote Originally Posted by soohyungshin View Post
    Well said. If you really want a superb photo, use a camera, not phone. And my phone does an excellent job.
    It's amazing how many times this sentiment appears on the htc one forums. You never see this sentiment on the s5 or 5s forums . Kinda tells you all you need to know about the camera .

Actually, I have seen it on the s5 forum, as well as the forum for every smartphone ever released.
    James E1 and B0WIE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleJohnny View Post
    Actually, I have seen it on the s5 forum, as well as the forum for every smartphone ever released.
    Maybe...but it is not a mantra as it is in this forum.
    Thanked by:
    nj1266 

It's an awesome cam and I prefer it to anything else out there. The Duo cam has opened up new doors for sure, allowing me to work in 3 dimensions when setting up shots. Really loving the character of this cam.
    coronaboy10 likes this.

I don't think its bad at all,I have taken some great pictures with the M8 camera so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbman View Post
    Maybe...but it is not a mantra as it is in this forum.
    It's repeated much more often here because people keep saying lol camera sucks.

You see accusations of a bad camera in other forums less ( MORE MEGAPIXELS) and so you see that saying less as well.
    ThrottleJohnny likes this.

^ You're dead on with that. It's the megapixels nonsense that have so many non-owners so fascinated with the M8's camera, and therefore so many owners defending it. As someone who actually uses the camera day to day, I know it's strengths and weaknesses. I also know that my decision to choose the M8 was based on the fact that I don't use smartphones to take professional photos. It's a perfect camera for **MY NEEDS** (facebook, instagram, quick point and shoot shots and evening photos). When I chose this phone I was MUCH more concerned with a fast and effective os with zero lag and features other phones just can't duplicate. The fact the the camera is good is icing.
    Relgoshan likes this.

This is not a BAD camera, let's get that out there now. Outstanding macro photos, great low light photos, Zoes, best camera software period, quick shutter speed, good Gallery app, great front camera, UFocus effects, 360 degree panoramas. Poor at bright scenes, needs manual metering in many situations.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmsi View Post
    Is it as bad as everyone says? Mostly no, but sometimes yes. It's not a resolution issue though, as many people assume. 4 mpixels is totally adequate for most images, and unless you need to zoom /crop extensively, you will be happy with the quality.

The biggest problem, in my experience, is that the camera is inconsistent when it comes to metering and exposure setting. With the iPhone, for example, you just point it at the scene and take the picture. The camera almost always gets the exposure just right, which makes for a very high percentage of good shots. So high, in fact, that it doesn't even register with most users that exposure metering is something that one has to worry about.

The HTC on the other hand often sets the exposure wrong -sometimes a little and sometimes badly - and the hit rate of good pictures can be lower. This is especially true in images that have high contrast areas. In less contrasty scenes, or at night, the HTC does really well.

It's easy to fix, just tap on the scene in an area more representative of the overall image and then take the picture.

i think what happens is the m8 sets its exposure very quickly, before you have settled on your subject. i usually tap screen to get what i want anyways but i do notice that if i move camera again it changes exposure as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnRedRaider View Post
    This is not a BAD camera, let's get that out there now. Outstanding macro photos, great low light photos, Zoes, best camera software period, quick shutter speed, good Gallery app, great front camera, UFocus effects, 360 degree panoramas. Poor at bright scenes, needs manual metering in many situations.

i also set up a preset with exposure lowered for bright scenes, helps a lot so it doesnt want to overexpose.

Nope, not at all. I was actually really concerned before I wanted to make the switch from my iPhone 5S, and I can say that it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I am very happy with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    Nope, not at all. I was actually really concerned before I wanted to make the switch from my iPhone 5S, and I can say that it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I am very happy with my purchase.
    How does it compare to the 5s in everyday camera situations ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast