M8 Car Mode

pedderd

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a just purchased a HTC One_M8. I am trying to connect my HTC to my Mirrorlink car head unit..

The phone connects flawlessly via Bluetooth, both for audio and phone use. My head unit is an Alpine ics-x8, with firmware version 1.400. My previous phone, Samsung S3 worked fully via mirrorlink using Samsung's Drive Link application.

When I connect my HTC to the USB connector in the car (with USB debugging enabled on the phone), the phone instantly recognises it as Mirrorlink and automatically changes to landscape mode and starts the Car Mode app. This appears to work as expected. I can then successfully navigate on the head unit to control all of the car mode features. The only issue appears to be that I have no audio at all.

I tried to turn off USB debugging, increase volumes on the phone and head unit, and even disconnect the bluetooth, but I cannot get any audio.

Can you please advise if there anything I can do ? HTC Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.2, Software 1.54.61.5. I am rooted.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a just purchased a HTC One_M8. I am trying to connect my HTC to my Mirrorlink car head unit..

The phone connects flawlessly via Bluetooth, both for audio and phone use. My head unit is an Alpine ics-x8, with firmware version 1.400. My previous phone, Samsung S3 worked fully via mirrorlink using Samsung's Drive Link application.

When I connect my HTC to the USB connector in the car (with USB debugging enabled on the phone), the phone instantly recognises it as Mirrorlink and automatically changes to landscape mode and starts the Car Mode app. This appears to work as expected. I can then successfully navigate on the head unit to control all of the car mode features. The only issue appears to be that I have no audio at all.

I tried to turn off USB debugging, increase volumes on the phone and head unit, and even disconnect the bluetooth, but I cannot get any audio.

Can you please advise if there anything I can do ? HTC Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.2, Software 1.54.61.5. I am rooted.

From what I hear, android phones usually fail to play audio through USB... I've never really tried this myself though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a Kenwood KDCBT318u with BT, USB, and Aux support. I can stream internet radio over BT, and AUX but never USB. There is a Kenwood app I can download and move music into a playlist that says the app will then be able to read the playlist over USB but I havent tried that. I have tried to stream internet radio through USB to no avail.

Davemcc

May 16, 2014
Visit site
So it's not just me. My M8 is functionally useless in my cars. I can't get it to play through USB at all. Using Bluetooth, it will play music but the skip song feature doesn't work properly if at all.

Strangely enough, it works fine in my wife's car with an old aftermarket Alpine head unit.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Make sure its a playlist that you made. Using the HTC music app, I couldnt get it to shuffle the different mp3s until I just moved them all into playlist1.This is over BT not USB.

pedderd

May 16, 2014
Visit site
So it's not just me. My M8 is functionally useless in my cars. I can't get it to play through USB at all. Using Bluetooth, it will play music but the skip song feature doesn't work properly if at all.

Strangely enough, it works fine in my wife's car with an old aftermarket Alpine head unit.

I couldn't even get it to work with an Alpine head. Which one is in your wife's car ?

I did email Alpine, and the first chap seemed helpful, the second one virtually cut me off as an unsupported device. I am convinced it has something to do with the routing of the sound through bluetooth / media device.

pedderd

May 16, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: I have realised that it is the Car Mode app that is restricting the audio. You can use voice command for google now if you fiddle about, and you get the audio response through the stereo.
Need another app ! Developers please.....

Davemcc

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't even get it to work with an Alpine head. Which one is in your wife's car ?
She has an old Alpine CDA-105.

It's a moot point for me now. I have deactivated my M8 and reactivated my old iPhone 4. The M8 has too many bugs that I could not overcome in the functions that I use daily. At least I know the iPhone functions even though it is old, small and slow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae