Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does the M8 get hot with heavy usage?

I had the M7 prior to switching to the Nexus 5. One of my biggest issues with that device is that the phone had a tendency to get uncomfortably hot with prolonged usage. Now I understand the reason for that was the aluminum casing doing it's job and conducting the heat away from the internals but it still became uncomfortable to use (especially on a hot day). Now that I'm considering the M8, I'm wondering if the new version has the same heat issues or not. So can anyone shed some light?

ROM
    ICS 4.0.3

Default Re: Does the M8 get hot with heavy usage?

It does, but so does every phone, even all computers period. As the CPU gets slammed with tasks, it needs more power. This power comes out as heat. The aluminum does a better job at keeping the heat away from the internals. If it gets incomfortable, let it cool down for a few minutes.

You have to do it with computers as well, so why is it a huge deal with fanless smartphones?

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I wouldn't compare it to a computer at all. My computer sits on my desk (laptop) or on the floor (desktop), not in my hand. And no, most phones do not get hot like that...in fact I've never owned another phone that became uncomfortable to hold either before or since the HTC One M7. In the past two years slone I've owned an iPhone 5, Moto X, Nexus 5, and the aforementioned M7 and I can 100% say that I never had a heat issue with any of the others.

Will the phone heat up with heavy use? Yes. I've never had a phone that didn't.. More stress on the hardware it heats up.

I've never been not able to hold the phone due to it though. My M7, Note 3, etc. get warm but nothing like burning me.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

ROM
    ICS 4.0.3

Quote Originally Posted by el3ctronics View Post
    I wouldn't compare it to a computer at all. My computer sits on my desk (laptop) or on the floor (desktop), not in my hand. And no, most phones do not get hot like that...in fact I've never owned another phone that became uncomfortable to hold either before or since the HTC One M7. In the past two years slone I've owned an iPhone 5, Moto X, Nexus 5, and the aforementioned M7 and I can 100% say that I never had a heat issue with any of the others.
    But that's exactly what it is: a pocketable computer.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8

Keep in mind- the reason your M7 may feel warmer than other devices is due to the aluminum body, which is a good thing as that heat is dissipated to your hands VS internal components.

Posted via Android Central App

yes it does heat up,played 30 minutes of asphalt 8 and it got very hot,but this is normal,every phone i have gotten gets hot with heavy usage,so its okay.

My m7 would get warm while under heavy use and while charging. It wasn't uncomfortable on my m7, but it did get noticeably warm.

The m8 doesn't get nearly as warm, I'd say about half the temperature, maybe less, at least on my phone. It does get warm while charging, but that's to be expected. I wouldn't consider it uncomfortable in the least.

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Janica View Post
    yes it does heat up,played 30 minutes of asphalt 8 and it got very hot,but this is normal,every phone i have gotten gets hot with heavy usage,so its okay.
    Asphalt 8 for half an hour is not heavy usage....if your M8 gets 'very hot' keep an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    Asphalt 8 for half an hour is not heavy usage....if your M8 gets 'very hot' keep an eye on it.
    I assume that's a game? Most games cause heat ups due processor and gpu stress.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I would call mine warm during restoring my phone.
    Certainly not uncomfortable (old laptop hot on your lap) but noticeable.

Switching runtimes or updating via OTA will get the temperature up there, but that's pretty understandable. The only game I really play is Threes! but for that at least, it never really heats up that much either. Charging is the same, it gets warm, but not uncomfortably so. The only time I'd say it gets hot for me is if I have the screen at max brightness and use it heavily i.e. taking loads of pictures. If you just leave it on somewhere too, it might depend on what you're leaving it on top of. It's much warmer if I leave it on fleece covers or something compared to like a wooden table.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

I previously owned the M7 and that did become hot. Now with the same kind of usage my M8 does not get hot at all yay !

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

When I'm just using an instant messenger, my phone is like 94℉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk