Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mchockeyvette27
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Most *beautiful* apps

What are some of your favorite apps based on the aesthetics or beauty of them? I'm not referring to your "favorite" apps, or "most useful", or "most fun". I'm talking about the best looking, smoothest, and most well-designed apps. Everything flows smoothly, looks pleasing to the eye, and has efficient design and navigation.

I know: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But still, we all have apps that just make us smile or wow us when we use them. You know, "form over function" and all that.

(Note: I'm not including launchers since those can be made to look pretty much however you want them to look. Nova Prime is my preference fwiw.)

Some of the ones high on my list would include (and I know I'll forget some):
    • 1Weather
    • Textra
    • Blinkfeed (if one considers this an app)
    • Android Central App (not just because I'm here)
    • ebay (seriously...ebay looks great and runs very smoothly)
    • Geico (yep, I'm serious)
    • Google Now
    • Google Keep
    • Muzei
    • Yahoo! News Digest
    • Pocket
    • theScore
    • Timely
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Most *beautiful* apps

Blinkfeed technically is a launcher, but I know you're talking about the news feed.

For me:
    Textra
    Hello SMS
    Google now (one of my favorites too)
    Google keep (also another favorite)
    Timely (forgot to download that on my m8!)
    Google translate
    Spotify (new update is much nicer)
    Shazam
    Google Wallet
    Gmail (not great looking but to me the best looking/cleanest looking email app)

theScore has definitely gotten much cleaner and sleeker with its updates. Still sort of clunky though. Especially the drop down menus. But my go to sports app definitely!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    Blinkfeed technically is a launcher, but I know you're talking about the news feed.

For me:
    Textra
    Hello SMS
    Google now (one of my favorites too)
    Google keep (also another favorite)
    Timely (forgot to download that on my m8!)
    Google translate
    Spotify (new update is much nicer)
    Shazam
    Google Wallet
    Gmail (not great looking but to me the best looking/cleanest looking email app)

theScore has definitely gotten much cleaner and sleeker with its updates. Still sort of clunky though. Especially the drop down menus. But my go to sports app definitely!

Agreed on theScore. It has come a LONG way, and ESPN is just too busy, with too much multimedia and garbage, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldthor View Post
    Agreed on theScore. It has come a LONG way, and ESPN is just too busy, with too much multimedia and garbage, imho.
    I've used ESPN once and never touched it again. It's a garbage app in my opinion. Too slow, laggy and way too cluttered.

bigoldthor likes this.

Aesthetically pleasing you say?

- 2048 Pro; Very clean design, no ads or annoying settings- just open and go!
    - 3G Watchdog Pro; A compact assort of info (of which can be adjusted). I like the flat design of the tables but wish the text and bars at the top were more...metro.
    - All-In-One Toolbox Pro; She be getting there. They've done the Memory Boost UI overhaul and I hope to see this to their main application soon.
    - AutoSMS Pro- Basic design (although, a tad childlike in their UI), is very basic and well designed...well looking at it. Once you get into the app it can get messy.
    - AutoMateIt Pro- Their new UI overhaul is simply marvelous! Very flat and minimal, I don't think I can say much about this besides wow.
    - Feedly. Just use the [language] app!
    - Kik; I still think there needs to be a metro change to this, but a ddecent UI
    - ESET AV; Hands down, this company always make an awesome UI
    - My Budget Book Pro- This has to be the best app for its kind, with the best UI!
    - Speedtest; The official app has the best UI of any of its competitors
    - Vuze: This app has a nice UI and I have note noted any ads!
    - Wolfram Alpha: Minimalism? No. Good UI? Arguable.

Love theScore and Pocket.

Drop down menus on Score get a little messed up sometimes and it won't always refresh, but it SMASHES espn's app. So much better.

Yahoo weather looks amazing. I add cities just to look at the pictures... I don't even care about the weather, but the app is incredible to look at.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Timely....hands down...fonts layout, animations, scale, proportions, everything...sometimes I just stare at it.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Have to second that on Yahoo weather

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THARD11 View Post
    Have to second that on Yahoo weather

Hands down Yahoo weather!

[language edited by Moderator] Feedly! Somebody, somewhere back me up on this. Feedly!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nancarrow View Post
    Aesthetically pleasing you say?

- 2048 Pro; Very clean design, no ads or annoying settings- just open and go!
    - 3G Watchdog Pro; A compact assort of info (of which can be adjusted). I like the flat design of the tables but wish the text and bars at the top were more...metro.
    - All-In-One Toolbox Pro; She be getting there. They've done the Memory Boost UI overhaul and I hope to see this to their main application soon.
    - AutoSMS Pro- Basic design (although, a tad childlike in their UI), is very basic and well designed...well looking at it. Once you get into the app it can get messy.
    - AutoMateIt Pro- Their new UI overhaul is simply marvelous! Very flat and minimal, I don't think I can say much about this besides wow.
    - Feedly. Just use the [language] app!
    - Kik; I still think there needs to be a metro change to this, but a ddecent UI
    - ESET AV; Hands down, this company always make an awesome UI
    - My Budget Book Pro- This has to be the best app for its kind, with the best UI!
    - Speedtest; The official app has the best UI of any of its competitors
    - Vuze: This app has a nice UI and I have note noted any ads!
    - Wolfram Alpha: Minimalism? No. Good UI? Arguable.
    Interesting collection! ��

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nancarrow View Post
    [language removed by Moderator] Feedly! Somebody, somewhere back me up on this. Feedly!
    Agreed...very nice.

Thanked by:

Milk Music, Spotify, Google Now (dark version), Apex, Next Browser, Zite
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Mikepmcdaniel View Post
    Love theScore and Pocket.

Drop down menus on Score get a little messed up sometimes and it won't always refresh, but it SMASHES espn's app. So much better.

Yahoo weather looks amazing. I add cities just to look at the pictures... I don't even care about the weather, but the app is incredible to look at.
    Agreed it's nice to look at, but I still prefer the appearance and functionality of 1Weather. One thing that makes it so beautiful is that it's all self contained. It doesn't take you out to another web site, so everything looks and feels the same everywhere within the app. And it has all the info I need within its own walls.

Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Aesthetically, I love what Sony has done with their native Albums and Walkman apps. If speaking beauty of function I vote for Kicka**torrents simply because they pulled it off Play Store but I have a backup

I've never paid close attention to the aesthetics of an app but now that I think about it, if there are two apps that do the same thing I definitely choose the prettier app. Thanks for all the good references!

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    Aesthetically, I love what Sony has done with their native Albums and Walkman apps. If speaking beauty of function I vote for Kicka**torrents simply because they pulled it off Play Store but I have a backup
    Would you be willing to send me that app? I have a lame version that has a bunch of ads that I found on the play store.

Thanks!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Textra does not look better than the stock texting app...no way

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by SmartphoneNerd View Post
    Textra does not look better than the stock texting app...no way

I really do like the native messaging app on the M8 and actually used it exclusively up until about a month ago when I switched to Textra. For a third party app, I really like its clean and functional appearance...not to mention its features.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldthor View Post
    I really do like the native messaging app on the M8 and actually used it exclusively up until about a month ago when I switched to Textra. For a third party app, I really like its clean and functional appearance...not to mention its features.
    It's a great app... Just doesn't look better... This is the longest I've ever used the stock messaging app... It's usually the first thing I download.

I like an oldie but a goodie.....Beautiful Widgets. The Live Weather wallpaper is great!

Auralux. It's a simple strategy game, but the simplicity of its design had kept me coming back more than any other game. A good way to calm down after work.

Mint (from Inuit). A simple and clean app that gathers all of your financial info from banks, investment firms, etc to help you budget and keep track of spending, investments, loans, net worth, and more in one location. Though there are some functions the app can't do that the full www.mint.com website can.

Fuel Log, a fuel mileage tracking app. Not that pretty, but purely a function over form app that's super easy to use and provides loads of info without being overwhelming.

Let's Truck, commercial trucking fuel mileage app designed with a focus on ease of use vs. complicating it by cramming in every feature they can.

"Financial Calculators". Just about every financial calculator you could ask for in one app, from your basic calc, to percentage, stocks, loans, credit card payoff, and more. The main screen has them in a simple list to access what you needed. Can also select which ones you want to show to reduce the size of the main list

Anyone else think changing font to Helvetica makes a big difference too think it makes the phone look better in general

Quote Originally Posted by chris2707 View Post
    Anyone else think changing font to Helvetica makes a big difference too think it makes the phone look better in general

Just tried it. Makes it look cleaner. Thanks

Yeah I think so glad I could help 😊