Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default at&t HTC One(M8) is marking all WiFi Networks as Mobile Hotspots

After installing the recent OTA from at&t and resting my phone; any new Wireless Network I connect to is automatically marked as a Mobile Hotspot in Data Manager. Once it's unchecked it's never marked again. If you delete/forget the Wireless Network and then rejoin it will then be marked as a Mobile Hotspot again in Wireless Manager.

Anyone else notice this?

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails at&t HTC One(M8) is marking all WiFi Networks as Mobile Hotspots-4073.jpg   at&t HTC One(M8) is marking all WiFi Networks as Mobile Hotspots-4584.jpg  
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: at&t HTC One(M8) is marking all WiFi Networks as Mobile Hotspots

FYI this new behavior is annoying because it's breaking or preventing some apps from syncing in the background if I forget to remove the check-mark.

For Example, I use Google+ Photos to keep a backup of my photos and Videos. I have it set to sync using WiFi only for obvious reasons. When set to WiFi only it will attempt to sync when I connect to a WiFi Network but cannot. If I remove that check-box sync then works.

Quote Originally Posted by rickms80 View Post
    After installing the recent OTA from at&t and resting my phone; any new Wireless Network I connect to is automatically marked as a Mobile Hotspot in Data Manager. Once it's unchecked it's never marked again. If you delete/forget the Wireless Network and then rejoin it will then be marked as a Mobile Hotspot again in Wireless Manager.

Anyone else notice this?

Posted via Android Central App
    From the looks of it they did this to protect people from connecting to a hotspot.. And then apps going crazy on it. It looks like you could just simply Uncheck which ones aren't and it will be good to go.

To me it sounds like a fail safe.. Just my opinion though. I'll ask some of the other guys about their AT&T M8s.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    From the looks of it they did this to protect people from connecting to a hotspot.. And then apps going crazy on it. It looks like you could just simply Uncheck which ones aren't and it will be good to go.

To me it sounds like a fail safe.. Just my opinion though. I'll ask some of the other guys about their AT&T M8s.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    I'm guess that I'm OK with this as long as it's something intentional. It just drove me nuts because it took several days and posts to figure out why my Google+ Photos app wouldn't back up my photos over WiFi.

A suggestion when you ask your guys: When they test this ask them to delete/forget the current WiFi network they're joined to and then rejoin to see if it marks it as a Mobile Hotspot in Data Manager.