Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 24 hours with my new M8: first thoughts

Well, I've had my One M8 for about 24 hours now, and here's my initial thoughts thus far:

1. Camera: this is actually a great camera. It's adapted very well to both low-light situations and high-light situations. A person sitting next to a bright window, for instance, came out very well. A flower at dusk also came out very well. I have no complaints so far with the camera.

2. OS/UI: I like the stock launcher, but I almost immediately replaced it with Nova. I love Nova so far. Very easy to use but has a kind of minimalist feel to it that I appreciate. Sense is closer to stock Android, but I like to try something new, and for me Nova is working very well.

3. Performance: No issues at all with performance. I had a software update as soon as I got the phone, which was downloaded (125MB) in about 2 minutes. It also installed in about 3 minutes. It shuts down almost instantly and turns back on so fast you could have it restart and not even notice. No lag, no performance problems whatsoever.

4. Battery life: This is the one area that I had expected a lot more than what I'm getting. It's not bad by any means, and I've currently had the screen on for 3+ straight hours and it's down to 36% battery (playing a fairly basic game called Game Dev Story) on top of some browsing and other things. A few phone calls, some texts, etc. Today is a lot more use than I would normally have, so it's not so terrible, but I had hoped for better battery life. I have no doubt it will get me through the day and then some with normal usage, though. So far, I'm either blind or my phone does not have the extreme battery saver mode. I'm on Verizon, which is probably why.

5. Build quality: This is flawless. No loose buttons at all. No glue coming undone under the screen. Nothing worth complaining about at all. It feels nice in the hand. It's not as slippery as I had thought it would be, and I'm going without a case for now because I want to enjoy this phone's natural beauty some more before I cover it.

6. Screen: This. Is. Amazing. That is all.

Overall: I absolutely love this phone. No regrets in my purchase whatsoever. Hopefully the battery life will improve as I play with it and when I eventually put a new ROM on there (thinking Clean ROM from a suggestion I got on here from buckifvr), so I'm not terribly worried about it right now. If anyone is on the fence about getting this phone, just do it! I felt the Galaxy S5 in my hand when I went to buy the phone and it just was not nearly as comfortable to hold. This phone is surprisingly light compared to my previous phone, and it's actually slimmer than I had thought it would be. Hardly feel it at all in my pocket, but coming from my previous phone, I could almost have an actual brick in my pocket and not notice it.

Could not be happier with this phone!

Default Re: 24 hours with my new M8: first thoughts

Enjoy your phone! About the battery life, it will get better. Just think that on the first day you use the device a lot, download stuff, things are happening on the background, etc.
    I would suggest you give it some time.

What color did you get?
    iMac 27" mid 2013, iPad Air 64GB Cellular White/Silver, HTC One M8 Gunmetal gray
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by petvas72 View Post
    Enjoy your phone! About the battery life, it will get better. Just think that on the first day you use the device a lot, download stuff, things are happening on the background, etc.
    I would suggest you give it some time.

What color did you get?
    I have the gunmetal grey.

I'm not too worried about the battery life. There's plenty of room for improvement, and I figure it will improve, especially after I put Clean ROM on it. I'm still downloading apps and getting it set up the way I want, so that obviously uses more battery life than I normally would. Normally I would mostly use it to play music at work and also through my car's bluetooth ability. That would be about 80% of its use every day.

What's clean Rom like and what does it do?

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by benniephunchok View Post
    What's clean Rom like and what does it do?

Clean ROM is a ROM to put on your phone, which replaces the operating system. It's a cleaner version of android with more features and less bloatware (like carrier apps that you never use). I'm waiting for a couple of weeks before putting it on my phone because I want to make sure that everything works properly before I do something that will void my warranty.

When I first got my m8 the battery scared me a bit. It's been 2 weeks now and this past weekend I went 32 hrs with 7 hrs screen time. Moderate use with no battery saver and 2 email accounts pushing. That's better than I got with my g2 and that phone is known for stellar battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by dty06 View Post
    Well, I've had my One M8 for about 24 hours now, and here's my initial thoughts thus far:

1. Camera: this is actually a great camera. It's adapted very well to both low-light situations and high-light situations. A person sitting next to a bright window, for instance, came out very well. A flower at dusk also came out very well. I have no complaints so far with the camera.

2. OS/UI: I like the stock launcher, but I almost immediately replaced it with Nova. I love Nova so far. Very easy to use but has a kind of minimalist feel to it that I appreciate. Sense is closer to stock Android, but I like to try something new, and for me Nova is working very well.

3. Performance: No issues at all with performance. I had a software update as soon as I got the phone, which was downloaded (125MB) in about 2 minutes. It also installed in about 3 minutes. It shuts down almost instantly and turns back on so fast you could have it restart and not even notice. No lag, no performance problems whatsoever.

4. Battery life: This is the one area that I had expected a lot more than what I'm getting. It's not bad by any means, and I've currently had the screen on for 3+ straight hours and it's down to 36% battery (playing a fairly basic game called Game Dev Story) on top of some browsing and other things. A few phone calls, some texts, etc. Today is a lot more use than I would normally have, so it's not so terrible, but I had hoped for better battery life. I have no doubt it will get me through the day and then some with normal usage, though. So far, I'm either blind or my phone does not have the extreme battery saver mode. I'm on Verizon, which is probably why.

5. Build quality: This is flawless. No loose buttons at all. No glue coming undone under the screen. Nothing worth complaining about at all. It feels nice in the hand. It's not as slippery as I had thought it would be, and I'm going without a case for now because I want to enjoy this phone's natural beauty some more before I cover it.

Overall: I absolutely love this phone. No regrets in my purchase whatsoever. Hopefully the battery life will improve as I play with it and when I eventually put a new ROM on there (thinking Clean ROM from a suggestion I got on here from buckifvr), so I'm not terribly worried about it right now. If anyone is on the fence about getting this phone, just do it! I felt the Galaxy S5 in my hand when I went to buy the phone and it just was not nearly as comfortable to hold. This phone is surprisingly light compared to my previous phone, and it's actually slimmer than I had thought it would be. Hardly feel it at all in my pocket, but coming from my previous phone, I could almost have an actual brick in my pocket and not notice it.

So that's rooting yeah?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by benniephunchok View Post
    So that's rooting yeah?

It's more involved than that. There's a whole method to follow which I'm not totally familiar with. Definitely not even thinking of it until I am familiar with the process and until I'm confident there's no problems with the phone.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I agree with you, i'm a power user and expected much more from the battery. But im hoping to see improvements in a week or two like some people have experienced. Dont get me wrong, the battery seems ok i just had higher expectations.

Today was my third day with the phone, disconnected the phone at 8am and still had 20 percent of battery by 8pm, its not bad but just not impressive yet.

Another thing im having a hard time adjusting is using the keyboard, people have complained that now i take long to write back text messages, im coming from an iphone 5 and hardly had any issues regarding bad typing, but so far i find this android keyboard terrible, tomorrow im gonna buy another keyboard app from the google play store to see if i find a better one.

Let us know any more thoughts about your M8 in these days, will be fun to read since I kind of got it the same time, so we are on the same boat.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I like the keyboard but I'm coming from another Android device, which is probably why. Swiftkey is a good one if you want a replacement.

Posted from my M8

I like the keyboard but I'm coming from another Android device, which is probably why. Swiftkey is a good one if you want a replacement.

Posted from my M8
    I was coming from another Android phone and STILL hated that keyboard. SwiftKey is a win, though.

Quote Originally Posted by darryjr View Post
    When I first got my m8 the battery scared me a bit. It's been 2 weeks now and this past weekend I went 32 hrs with 7 hrs screen time. Moderate use with no battery saver and 2 email accounts pushing. That's better than I got with my g2 and that phone is known for stellar battery life.
    That's almost as good as my G Flex! Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by lyriciss View Post
    I was coming from another Android phone and STILL hated that keyboard. SwiftKey is a win, though.
    I hope the M8 does not have the problem with Kit Kat and Swiftkey/Google Keyboard. Some people had to remove Swiftkey on other-brand devices after KK rolled on to them...
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    That's almost as good as my G Flex! Nice!

I hope the M8 does not have the problem with Kit Kat and Swiftkey/Google Keyboard. Some people had to remove Swiftkey on other-brand devices after KK rolled on to them...
    I use Swiftkey and have no issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    Nope, I have the One M8 and I'm currently using SwiftKey. Works like a charm, AND it transferred all of the remembered language and preferences from my past device to the M8 through the SwiftKey Cloud, so it immediately worked the way I wanted it to.

It's been 3 weeks now and only half of your experience that i can get. I only get like 1-3 bars of signal

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcc0710 View Post
    I use Swiftkey and have no issues with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyriciss View Post
    Nope, I have the One M8 and I'm currently using SwiftKey. Works like a charm, AND it transferred all of the remembered language and preferences from my past device to the M8 through the SwiftKey Cloud, so it immediately worked the way I wanted it to.
    That's great to hear, some people cannot live without Swiftkey.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Today (4th) day with the M8 i was very delighted to find the battery lasted longer than ever, been using it all day and i still have 30% left... so maybe it does get better huh

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

wow, 10 mins with swiftkey and i so far so good!
    dty06 likes this.

Damn that's good

Quote Originally Posted by RobGG View Post
    I agree with you, i'm a power user and expected much more from the battery. But im hoping to see improvements in a week or two like some people have experienced. Dont get me wrong, the battery seems ok i just had higher expectations.

Today was my third day with the phone, disconnected the phone at 8am and still had 20 percent of battery by 8pm, its not bad but just not impressive yet.

Another thing im having a hard time adjusting is using the keyboard, people have complained that now i take long to write back text messages, im coming from an iphone 5 and hardly had any issues regarding bad typing, but so far i find this android keyboard terrible, tomorrow im gonna buy another keyboard app from the google play store to see if i find a better one.

Let us know any more thoughts about your M8 in these days, will be fun to read since I kind of got it the same time, so we are on the same boat.
    I came from a iPhone 5s. I switched to the Swype keyboard. Works wonderful.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Here's a quick update:

It's now 1:30pm and I've had the phone off charger since 7:00AM. It's at 80% battery with about an hour of screen-on time, 2 email accounts sync'd and 2 phone calls plus numerous texts and I've been listening to music on and off since 9:00AM.

Battery life is definitely improving.

Wow, I'm very impressed by the phone with your review. I've never considered an M8 althought I know it was a flagship device. I see quite a bit of reviews and articles about the M8 but it just gets shadowed with phones like the S5 and the LG G3. I'll have to consider it! Thanks!

I recently moved from iPhone to android again. I had oringally entered the smart phone world back when the Motorola droid was introduced and it was amazing. Wanted to try ios and it was a fairly nice experience but very limited.

So, I wanted the freedom and the up to date techonolgy smart phones have to offer.. android was that answer. So, after a lot of reviews, benchmark reasearch I was sold on the HTC one (M8). This phone is everything I ever wanted. It's ideally perfect. My only complaint is the lower camera pixel. But, let's be honest. Any good photographer can make any picture look good

(Picture I took this morning with my HTC m8 few edits)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24 hours with my new M8: first thoughts-12036.jpg  
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by sparker04 View Post
    Wow, I'm very impressed by the phone with your review. I've never considered an M8 althought I know it was a flagship device. I see quite a bit of reviews and articles about the M8 but it just gets shadowed with phones like the S5 and the LG G3. I'll have to consider it! Thanks!
    It is a really great device. Very fast and works wonderfully. The sound is unparalleled and the battery life is great, but it seems to take a week or so for it to really get to that level.

Posted from my M8
    Thanked by:

Didnt know cleanROM was still going! i used that in my HTC One X back when the device came out, loved it!
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast