Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default Video Playback problems? "Sorry, this video cannot be played"

Over the last couple days, I have not been able to play a youtube video through the app, or any video using either the Chrome or Dolphin browser.

The error I get from youtube is "Connection to server lost. Touch to retry." and the one I get using the browsers (at various sites) is "sorry, this video cannot be played".

I've uninstalled/reinstalled youtube and the the Dolphin browsers. I've recycled power to the phone. I am connected to 4g and/or wifi. Also, the video playback on Netflix works just fine. It just seems like whatever controls the phones video playback is not working. Can someone help?

Thanks.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default Re: Video Playback problems? "Sorry, this video cannot be played"

This is getting really frustrating. Can anyone help, please?

I've been seeing this too. Anytime I try and advance further ahead in a video I get that error, but only when connected to 3G/LTE. When I connect through WIFI I don't seem to have it, or at least not as much.

My youtube app was stopping halfway through videos and then would not play them anymore until I cleared data for the app. Chrome still has issues.

Sorry I can't help further seeing as I would like to know if anyone has a solution as well.

This is happening to me on Facebook.

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

As far as I can tell, it's only happening with streaming video (except for Netflix). I can download a video and watch it. But if I try to watch a video off the browser, it's a no-go.

I've cleared the cache. I've removed all updates from youtube, the google play tv and movies, and I've recycled power to the phone. Still nothing.

The only other thing I can think of to try would be a factory reset. But I really don't want to. There's got to be another way. It was just working on Friday. Someone help, please. Give me some ideas.

I don't have that problem. For Dolphin, make sure you use their backdoor method for Flash Player.

I have an HTC One M8.

I got the problem when I fiddled with my Google Chrome extensions; I installed and quickly thereafter uninstalled an ad blocker program. The problem affected videos in facebook (whether through a browser or the app) and vimeo videos through my browser.

I first tried uninstalling/disabling facebook and chrome and re-installing them to no effect. I then backed up my phone, reset it to factory settings and then restored it. After this, I was able to play the videos in both programs.

Doing this old-fashioned approach worked for me and I hope it does for you as well.

If the streaming player won't work I installed MX Player and it does.
    HTC One (M8) Stock For Now.
    David