M8 Charging Issues: is it me or do I have a bum phone?

DLS77

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello all-
I just purchased the HTC One M8 from BestBuy May 17th. Overall, I like it, besides the fact that Zoe isn't operational yet, and the top speaker is sometimes hard to hear from when the phone is actuallyy to my ear. However, my main concern is that twice (5/19 and today, 5/27), I have seen the message (paraphrased) " Your device cannot charge because too much power is being used. Please close open applications, restart the phone, or turn off the screen." I am very perplexed by that because neither time were any outside apps still running, at least not on the surface. I cleaned the cache, restarted the phone, and yet both times, I had to do that twice before the charging worked again. Additionally today, i did go to the apps in setting and closed some of the ones that were running, although none seemed to be taking up too much memory.

Has anyone else encountered this? Should I switch out phones?
:confused:
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello all-
I just purchased the HTC One M8 from BestBuy May 17th. Overall, I like it, besides the fact that Zoe isn't operational yet, and the top speaker is sometimes hard to hear from when the phone is actuallyy to my ear. However, my main concern is that twice (5/19 and today, 5/27), I have seen the message (paraphrased) " Your device cannot charge because too much power is being used. Please close open applications, restart the phone, or turn off the screen." I am very perplexed by that because neither time were any outside apps still running, at least not on the surface. I cleaned the cache, restarted the phone, and yet both times, I had to do that twice before the charging worked again. Additionally today, i did go to the apps in setting and closed some of the ones that were running, although none seemed to be taking up too much memory.

Has anyone else encountered this? Should I switch out phones?
:confused:
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Zoes are operational. The zoe app used to share them online isn't, yet. To shoot a zoe, go into your camera app and click on the 4 dots in a box at the bottom. That will open all of your camera modes, zoe camera will be in there.

What cable are you using to charge? I know I've seen that while using a different cable, but never while using the stock charging cable and wall unit.

Posted via Android Central App

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Zoes are operational. The zoe app used to share them online isn't, yet. To shoot a zoe, go into your camera app and click on the 4 dots in a box at the bottom. That will open all of your camera modes, zoe camera will be in there.

What cable are you using to charge? I know I've seen that while using a different cable, but never while using the stock charging cable and wall unit.

I've been able to charge fine using another cable. A stock LG cable, actually. Mostly because the stock HTC cable is way too short for my set up.

But that does sound like it could be the issue.

DLS77

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm....I was using my old BB cable because it is longer. I didn't think that would be an issue...good to know. I'll try that.
Thanks!

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm....I was using my old BB cable because it is longer. I didn't think that would be an issue...good to know. I'll try that.
Thanks!

It could be that the BB cable can't draw as much power as the One M8 requires to charge, especially if it's an older cable. The stock cable is with the quick charge (whatever it's called...PowerFast maybe?) so the device may be expecting a relatively high power flow, which the old cable can't provide. I haven't had issues with my LG cable, but it could still be an issue.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It could be that the BB cable can't draw as much power as the One M8 requires to charge, especially if it's an older cable. The stock cable is with the quick charge (whatever it's called...PowerFast maybe?) so the device may be expecting a relatively high power flow, which the old cable can't provide. I haven't had issues with my LG cable, but it could still be an issue.

It's called quickcharge 1.0. The m8 and S5 have the ability to utilize quickcharge 2.0, but the stock m8 charger will only use quickcharge 1.0. We're waiting for HTC to release a quickcharge 2.0 enabled charger.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's called quickcharge 1.0. The m8 and S5 have the ability to utilize quickcharge 2.0, but the stock m8 charger will only use quickcharge 1.0. We're waiting for HTC to release a quickcharge 2.0 enabled charger.

Yeah, I had kind of a brain fart there. But even a non-quickcharge cable should work with the phone, it just won't charge as quickly.

Anyway, DLS77, has the problem been resolved?

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
So I noticed over the weekend, my girlfriend and I were taking a road trip, she has the GS4 and I have the HTC M8. Her car charger was not providing enough juice to fill the battery while she was using the GPS. It was draining her battery, very slowly, but after a 2 hour drive it drained over 50% while being plugged in. On the way home, I had her use my charger and I used hers. The affects were clear that her charger was bad...or going bad...because it was not charging my phone up using her charger. It was providing my phone some juice because my battery drained slower than normal. However, my M8 charger (which was the style of the cigarette lighter to USB + USB charger), was keeping her GS4 fully charged while using the GPS.

My point is that even after being in the tech field for 10+ years...this was my first time seeing a USB cable go bad....and obviously it is true that USB cables can go bad.

Even with a slower charging cable, or by plugging in a newer charger to a USB 1 port (if you have one around), should still produce an amount of positive current into the device. It could be less than what the device is expunging, therefore the battery will ultimately be draining rather than charging. It's a simple equation of figuring out the total amount of power being charged into the batter by the charger, then substract the total power being utilized, and if you are left with a surplus then your battery is gaining a charge - but if the total is a deficit then you know the device is using more juice than being provided by the charger.

Now back to That 70's Show...

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Grab an app like Battery Monitor Widget Pro by 3c.
I have been using it for some time. One of the features is it will show the current input (charging) or output (on battery) of the device.
Its a great little app. I have seen my device on a few occasions charge at 1200mAh. That was using a blackberry tablet charger that has 2.1 A output.

abx2

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey there! I am having this same problem, but it only just started occurring after a year of owning the phone. Was this issue resolved for you? If so, how? I am pretty desperate to find a solution as my phone is basically a paperweight right now. I have the HTC One M8 on Sprint, currently on Jellybean.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey there! I am having this same problem, but it only just started occurring after a year of owning the phone. Was this issue resolved for you? If so, how? I am pretty desperate to find a solution as my phone is basically a paperweight right now. I have the HTC One M8 on Sprint, currently on Jellybean.

Is there a reason you're running Jelly Bean? I'm asking because I know that I've seen better battery life with each update, but mine was never terrible to begin with.

Maybe try wiping the cache and dalvik cache and running updates? Other than that, if it's under warranty, talk to HTC.