Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

Default Nice external battery case. And priced right too..$20

I just received this battery/case. At $19.99 it is hard to beat the convenience of this for extended battery.

Amazon.com: HTC ONE M8 3200mAh Black Portable Detachable External Rechargeable Battery Power Bank Pack Backup Battery Charger Case with Viewing Stand: Cell Phones & Accessories
    (btw: I bought an Anker larger external "smart port" battery as well...it is also is a nice addition at $45..)
    This from my review on Amzn.

There is another "review" that gave one star..solely based on the fact they did not notice that item was coming from China and their ASSUMPTION that shipping would take "6-7 weeks". In fact mine arrived in 6 days, via USPS and that included a one day delay for Memorial Day.
    On to the product...really nice design. The top of the unit slides up about 3/8 of an inch, you slide in the HTC M8 and it aligns the charger port within the case, then slide the top down to lock the phone into the case. Front mounted button lights 4 LED's to let you know it is charging and state of remaining battery in the case. Additional standard micro USB port to charge the case back up (no cable included).
    It pretty quickly charged my phone back up leading me to believe it's output is somewhat higher than the stated .8amp on the tag. I just got it so cannot yet comment on how much of a charge it will give (rated at 3800mAH by the manufacturer).
    Proper cutouts for both rear camera's and flash.
    The kickstand is a nice bonus as one of the places I am most likely to use extended battery case is on a plane to watch a movie.
    All in all an excellent buy at $19.99 and quick shipping, good communication from seller....
    I am not a paid reviewer, just a legitimate buyer of the product that is happy with the value and service.
    misc dumbphones>NokiaWindows>Launch Day PalmPre>>Launch Day EVO!>ditto Evo 3d>>Ditto Evo LTE>LD-HTC ONE>LD-HTC ONE M8
    Thanked by:
    dty06 

Default Re: Nice external battery case. And priced right too..$20

Hmm, I may consider this. How is it as a case?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

Have not used it much as it just arrived yesterday. But it does protect back and all corners, fits well with the slide up and down top piece, and cutouts are correct for camera and flash. The kickstand is a nice added feature that I liked on my old EVO. It is of course a little thicker because it incorporates a 3200mAH battery in the case. Black plastic vs the dark gunmetal of my M8.
    misc dumbphones>NokiaWindows>Launch Day PalmPre>>Launch Day EVO!>ditto Evo 3d>>Ditto Evo LTE>LD-HTC ONE>LD-HTC ONE M8

Something like this could be a good work around to the lack of removable battery. Any idea if this case would work well enough to fully operate a phone with a dead battery (or one that won't accept a proper charge any more), or is it for charging only? Also, will the case charging port allow it to charge both the external and internal batteries at the same time?

My only concern would be the 8V output and if the phone can handle that without burning something out. I know the charger voltage has to be higher than the battery voltage to "push" the current through, but I think you still need to stay within certain limits. At the rated output voltage and current, that would be the same wattage as a regular 5V USB charger at just under 1.3A. I don't have the phone yet, so I don't know how that compares to the OEM charger. I tried digging around, but not even HTC website seemed to have that info.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

It is 4.8v 0.8A output. (input DC5V .8A as listed, but no dedicated charger or even cable is provided with the unit. I just use another charger and the cable I normally use to charge the phone) No danger of too much charge..the concern should be will it be enough to charge and work on phone at same time. And in my limited time using it that does not seem to be a problem. I think it is actually pushing a little more than the .8 listed as it charged the phone pretty rapidly from 50% to 70% while I was on the web with the M8. I have not tried the push-through type charge..where the battery back is charging and the back is in turn charging the phone....but previous versions of this type of device have done that just fine.
    The M8 comes with internal 2,600 mAh battery and I think I recall you can count on about 80-90% of rated battery back capacity to transfer to the phone..so if this is 3200mAh it should comfortably provide one full recharge of the phone. That is-- double the normal discharge time of the internal battery alone. Just about perfect for when I am out and about with extended usage on business days.

Oh and the charger supplied by HTC is 5v 1.5a.

Where did you read the 4.8V output? On the Amazon link, in the specifications, it does state a full 8V (I double checked to make sure I read it right). I guess it's possible that was a typo if the package documentation is saying 4.8V. With the USB standard at 5V, I'd lean more towards the 4.8V spec. So either it's pushing way more than .8A if you're seeing quicker than expected charge times considering the OEM charger output, or there's a typo somewhere that could call into question the manufacturer's quality controls.

I do think this is a great concept, but having conflicting specs when it comes to electrical power can be a big yellow flag.

Mooncatt - i believe that is a typo. If you look at the pics, you can zoom in on the one that shows the internal tag. It shows output of 4.8VDC @ .8A
    sjcdal - It looks like your the one who gave the positive review, i too am in Dallas and with the guy in NRH, TX would have paid closer attention when he ordered. He is correct, it doesnt say it ships from China, BUT when i ordered mine just now it said 17 to 28 business days. Id be willing to be that info was there for him and and is one of those complainers. Sad to see a product get a bad review because people cant read. LOL
    Follow up with us after a few days or a week of usage. Im not a heavy battery user but plan to keep it as a back up or replace my current 10400mah battery pack.

Im gonna grab one of these it looks like this is just what i need for my (M8)

Posted via Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

Now a few weeks in with this charger/case. Performs as expected. The case is nice, and it gives just about one complete recharge to the M8. That is about what you should expect from any external device..70-80% of the rated capacity into the charged device. This is what I expected and fits my needs nicely. And still a great buy for $20. Not as inexpensive as a replaceable battery, but the external case attachment to charge is arguably more convenient than needing a charger that accepts both phone and battery. Nice addition.

Make a long phone even longer! Lol I'm just kidding, it actually looks pretty good for a battery case

Posted via Android Central App

I must have gotten a dud unit.
    I stopped using it after the first week as i was only able to get maybe a half charge out of it.
    It seems less like a 3200 mAh battery and more like a 1500mAh.

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    chub-sac-Sense4.5/AnTHRaX

Case is working well for me.

I will give it another shot.