Might be going for the M8, some questions/concerns though.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Originaly I was going to go for a galaxy S5, but decided Ingo towards the M8 due to battery, software, more storage, and just looks more pleasant to use. Haven't decided though. But I do have questions and concerns and I hope I can get your feedback.

1. Is the camera that bad? Really, I don't take photos that much. Just stuff like pics of friends, family, stuff like that. Is it as bad as reviews lead you to believe?

2. I'm worried about HTCs future: let's face it, HTC isn't in good shape. There sales are really down, people are leaving the company, and so on. I'm mostly concerned about the two years I won this phone and I want to feel good that I'm going to get continued updates, but I can't get updates if the company goes under, now can I? Regardless of a 2 year guarantee or not they might have for support. Is this worth worrying about? If they did go under, is it far off?

3: battery life/ performance: how has it held up? I remember being disappointed with the nexus 5s battery and I'm hoping this is a marked improvement. I use my phone practically all day.

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

aramos87

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Might going for the M8, some questions/concerns though.

Originaly I was going to go for a galaxy S5, but decided Ingo towards the M8 due to battery, software, more storage, and just looks more pleasant to use. Haven't decided though. But I do have questions and concerns and I hope I can get your feedback.

1. Is the camera that bad? Really, I don't take photos that much. Just stuff like pics of friends, family, stuff like that. Is it as bad as reviews lead you to believe?

2. I'm worried about HTCs future: let's face it, HTC isn't in good shape. There sales are really down, people are leaving the company, and so on. I'm mostly concerned about the two years I won this phone and I want to feel good that I'm going to get continued updates, but I can't get updates if the company goes under, now can I? Regardless of a 2 year guarantee or not they might have for support. Is this worth worrying about? If they did go under, is it far off?

3: battery life/ performance: how has it held up? I remember being disappointed with the nexus 5s battery and I'm hoping this is a marked improvement. I use my phone practically all day.

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts.

I have had my M8 since the day after it was announced, and I still haven't put the dang thing down. Coming from the M7 I pretty much knew what I was getting myself into, but it exceeded all of my expectations. Now to answer your questions/concerns...

1. The camera has been perfect for me, I have not had any issues with it at all. The MP count may not be as high as other phones, but for what I use my pictures for it works perfectly. It does take some very good low light photo's, and the Zoe's are actually pretty cool. So in my opinion, No the camera isn't as bad as the reviews would have you believe.

2. As far as the future of the company, I don't think I am qualified to answer this question, I am not the CEO nor do I work there, however I would be willing to bet if a company like HTC goes out of business, it would take more than 2 years, I mean look at Blackberry, they haven't seemed to do as well in sales as they have in the past, and they are still chugging along. If I were you I wouldn't consider this when purchasing this or any device.

3. For my use (which varies from medium to heavy, depending on the day), I have not had an issue. I haven't found myself looking for a plug or charger throughout the day since buying the phone. But I also have a strong signal pretty much everywhere I go on daily basis, and can usually find a wifi connection as well. So the battery will vary depending on the user, and other things too. But this thing can hold a charge. And performance wise, this thing is just as smooth (if not more) as my brothers iPhone 5s, and my Nexus 5, and the battery life is far better than my Nexus 5. I actually prefer the Sense UI over stock android, which is something I didn't thing I would ever say. It handles everything I use it for perfectly. You can tell HTC really optimized the software on this thing.

well I hope I answered some of you questions and/or concerns, overall I think the M8 is the best device I have owned, I haven't regretted purchasing it one bit! I don't think you would either.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Might going for the M8, some questions/concerns though.

I have had my M8 since the day after it was announced, and I still haven't put the dang thing down. Coming from the M7 I pretty much knew what I was getting myself into, but it exceeded all of my expectations. Now to answer your questions/concerns...

1. The camera has been perfect for me, I have not had any issues with it at all. The MP count may not be as high as other phones, but for what I use my pictures for it works perfectly. It does take some very good low light photo's, and the Zoe's are actually pretty cool. So in my opinion, No the camera isn't as bad as the reviews would have you believe.

2. As far as the future of the company, I don't think I am qualified to answer this question, I am not the CEO nor do I work there, however I would be willing to bet if a company like HTC goes out of business, it would take more than 2 years, I mean look at Blackberry, they haven't seemed to do as well in sales as they have in the past, and they are still chugging along. If I were you I wouldn't consider this when purchasing this or any device.

1. The reviews dogging the camera seem to only focus on the MP count. If you plan to zoom, crop, and/or make large prints, then I could see the M8 camera being a concern. The trade off is the color, clarity and low light abilities of this camera have been amazing from the samples I've looked at here (the camera pixel sensors being bigger allow for being better in these areas). Plus a couple people on here said they did test prints at 8X10 that came out pretty good. That alone would be enough trade off to pick the M8 over other phones if going by camera, but it all comes down to how you plan to use it. The other features are just a bonus, and I can't wait to get my mine and try the ufocus.

2. Exactly, they aren't going to shut down overnight. Even *if* they were to go out of business, they could be bought out by someone else or let another company simply take over support for their current phones. I don't know anything about their standings, but just because something makes investors nervous doesn't mean you should worry about something happening that drastic in two years.

jwolfington5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I had the Nexus 5 for about 4 months and it was great but I went in and messed around with the M8 and fell in love with it. I've only had it about 3 days but still this is way better choice than the S5 . The camera is fantastic, battery life is around double.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy