Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    I've heard that one of the main things the m8 is weak on is its camera. I'm currently deciding between the Galaxy s5 and the HTC One m8.... And I don't really know which one to choose. Both seem like good phones.
    Update : I'm concerned about the camera because sometimes if I don't have my dslr with me, I can grab my phone and take pictures. The pictures usually end up on my blog. (On blogspot/blogger, I use the "large" size to resize my pictures).
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,782 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Just snapped this. Now, this is magnified to maximum, and through (what I just realized) a not so clean window

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?-1401717372501.jpg  

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?-10325774_10202220631140103_8321008241819813204_n.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -

    Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?-10338322_10202092810744673_4021937493773264281_a.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -

    Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?-10314545_10202092815224785_5484262127870388471_n.jpg
    Skyway and James E1 like this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    No, it is not a bad camera. Period. Will it replace a DSLR? No. Will it take fantastic shots under almost all situations with some settings tweaks? Yes. The camera UI is fantastic. Camera speed is top notch. Macros are amazing. Gallery app is great! Substantially better than my wife's Galaxy S4 camera. The only downside is if you want to crop and zoom from a long way off.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Macros of my son's Broncos tattoo and dinner the other night. Auto everything. No edits or filtering.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?-imag2677.jpg   Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?-imag2680.jpg  
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    It's not!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?-1401729667798.jpg  
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    If you touch different areas on the screen to focus, it adjusts the light so its not all washed out.
  8. #8  
    trivor's Avatar

    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    The biggest issue is the max resolution of the camera is only 4 MP (the Ultrapixels help with low light and better focusing speed). In daylight it just doesn't hold up to a 13 MP (G2 or S4) or 16 MP (S5) if you need to crop or zoom in to your picture. This is definitely one you need to decide on your own - for me the 4 MP is just too little resolution for daylight and I found both the M7 and M8 to be unusable because of top mounted power button which I have no chance of reaching with one hand (the G2/G3 back mounted with Knock on/Knock code is almost unbeatable for this with a larger phone).
  9. #9  
    tigeryee's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    ROM
    ACS ICS 2.3.3 4.0 theme

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    It is so bad that it cannot read the QR codes on my computer monitor. I had to print it out in order to get it to work to get the address for a Bitcoin address. The selfie camera is nice for video chat. I miss my S4 for the camera, but i think HTC did a great job on the rest of the phone.
    Soon to be LG Nexus 4 . . .
    Samsung D700 Epic 4g Sprint
    HTC PC36100 Evo 4g
    Samsung wifi 10.1 GT-p710
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Quote Originally Posted by tigeryee View Post
    It is so bad that it cannot read the QR codes on my computer monitor.
    Are you sure that your lens is not dirty? I can't say I've ever had issues scanning QR codes on either this or the M7.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    It's really not that bad of a camera. If you look at it from the stand point of know it's a cellphone camera. Now there is an issue with the lens of the camera causing blur issues. Due to the scratches from the coating on the lens. As long as that's gets a little TLC.Which is listed in another post on here. It's really a good camera for what it is. But if you look at it from a taking a picture in the night standpoint. It's on of the best out there.

    Naptownlove77- HTC ~⊙N~🇲8
  12. #12  
    Hectorius's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Its not.. People will always have to complain about something... In this case is the camera.

    Posted via the one and only...HTC (M8)
    llfloyd79 and ErnstMach like this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    I don't get all the flak for this camera, seems pretty damn sweet to me... :thumbup:

    [JTC ONE m8]
    llfloyd79 likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Its not bad because the most I'll do with my phone pictures is upload them to Facebook or Imgur, a higher megapixel count would be nice though.

    I mean isn't it possible to have a 16 MP ultrapixel camera?
    I'm gonna get flak but I'd rather have Sense over Stock Android for my daily driver.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Camera not gonna set the world alight and if you'd rather have a good camera get the z2 it's a better phone than the Samsung but I LOVE this phone n can't reccomend it enough camera is good enough for a phone camera pictures are clear and quick n look great tbh

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Quote Originally Posted by CannedBullets View Post
    I mean isn't it possible to have a 16 MP ultrapixel camera?
    It would make the sensor 4X bigger than it is now because the Ultrapixel is simply larger individual pixel sensors. That's why it performs so well in low light and has better color clarity than most phone cameras I've seen.

    I remember a similar debate with point and shoot digital cameras when they were making the jump from 4/5 MP to 8+. They were trying to cram the extra sensors into the same lens area, which meant they had to become smaller. There were many cases where unless the light was perfect, you'd see a lot more grain in those higher resolution pictures. Despite the resolution, those pictures could actually look worse than the lower resolution cameras.

    At some point, adding more MP will become overkill in smaller cameras and phones. I think we're probably about there and the manufactures can a) work on improving sensor quality, and b) educate the public that more MP doesn't always mean better pictures (something I feel HTC had a chance to do with advertising this phone, but didn't).
    ugxvibe and chris2707 like this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    It would make the sensor 4X bigger than it is now because the Ultrapixel is simply larger individual pixel sensors. That's why it performs so well in low light and has better color clarity than most phone cameras I've seen.

    I remember a similar debate with point and shoot digital cameras when they were making the jump from 4/5 MP to 8+. They were trying to cram the extra sensors into the same lens area, which meant they had to become smaller. There were many cases where unless the light was perfect, you'd see a lot more grain in those higher resolution pictures. Despite the resolution, those pictures could actually look worse than the lower resolution cameras.

    At some point, adding more MP will become overkill in smaller cameras and phones. I think we're probably about there and the manufactures can a) work on improving sensor quality, and b) educate the public that more MP doesn't always mean better pictures (something I feel HTC had a chance to do with advertising this phone, but didn't).
    Well yeah that's what I find laughable hearing some stupid people that think a camera phone with a higher megapixel count can perform better than a dedicated camera. The MP count isn't as high but the sensor is better, same here, so unless you plan on doing a lot of zoomed in pictures the camera will do the job as well if not better than most

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Pic I took on Sunday without any special settings


    [JTC ONE m8]
  19. #19  
    jrb363's Avatar

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShandaRBucy View Post
    I've heard that one of the main things the m8 is weak on is its camera. I'm currently deciding between the Galaxy s5 and the HTC One m8.... And I don't really know which one to choose. Both seem like good phones.
    Update : I'm concerned about the camera because sometimes if I don't have my dslr with me, I can grab my phone and take pictures. The pictures usually end up on my blog. (On blogspot/blogger, I use the "large" size to resize my pictures).
    Amazon.com : Pure Fix Cycles Fixed Gear Track Bike Frame Set : Fixed Gear Bicycle Frames : Sports & Outdoors
    Don't listen to the haters. (Samsung fanboys mainly...they're all idiots and worse 'sheep' than Apple fans.) The camera is definitely more than good enough for everyday use. As you can see by the many pictures posted here it's fantastic!
    Android convert and proud owner of the HTC One since 4/20/2013
    Where art thou webOS?
    llfloyd79 likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Quote Originally Posted by jtc303 View Post
    Pic I took on Sunday without any special settings
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/ve3ameqa.jpg

    [JTC ONE m8]
    Sweet truck

    Posted via Android Central App
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Yep, wish it was mine

    [JTC ONE m8]
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Quote Originally Posted by raymaane View Post
    It's not!
    This is a dirty lens! Wipe it shiny clean and take the same shot again! The difference will be night and day please post the new pic after my suggestion

    Posted via Android Central App
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Its not a bad camera, its just not a good one.. It is very hit and miss.. it can take fantastic pics in even lighting, whether it be day light or low light. However, give it a mixed situation and it struggles.. It tries to latch on to the bright light and makes everything else dark , or the opposite and you end up with a lot of flaring.

    In some situations you get a lot of grain and noise, I actually preferred the consistency of my One X's camera. The white balance is all over the shop too, I took a low light HDR picture in a room where the light had an Orange hew to it, and it came out green!

    Like I say, its not a bad camera, but it doesn't really advance much (in some ways goes backwards!) on my old One X's camera, which is over 2years old now.

    I, like you, use my phone cam as a fill-in camera for when I'm not using my DSLR. A lot of comments from people go along the lines of "its just a phone, buy a DSLR if you want great pics" but they are wholly missing the point.

    Re: megapixels, I don't really care for ridiculous image sizes, and usually set my phone to take lower res pics for this reason, so 4MP is fine. Although in some landscape pics it would be nice to have a higher res so you can zoom into the pic more.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Quote Originally Posted by tryatt View Post
    Although in some landscape pics it would be nice to have a higher res so you can zoom into the pic more.
    This is the only thing I do not like about have lower pixel count. And really, I think that is really the only 'issue' with this camera. There are so many settings you can make on this camera to compensate for over exposure, and then you can save it to use later instead of trying to go through all the settings for every shot. Make one for Bright Days, Cloudy Days, Indoors, etc...

    The only time I wish I had a good high rez crop, like from my old Rezound for example, is when I take a picture of some sign or funny license plate that I want to crop to get closer in to share. Most times you can hardly see the text. It's give and take really.. HTC gave us a really capable camera with new innovative technology and they took a gamble. Cannot say that for most other companies of their size. I applaud them for that alone.
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Is the HTC M8 camera as bad as everyone claims?

    Quote Originally Posted by tryatt View Post
    Its not a bad camera, its just not a good one.. It is very hit and miss.. it can take fantastic pics in even lighting, whether it be day light or low light. However, give it a mixed situation and it struggles.. It tries to latch on to the bright light and makes everything else dark , or the opposite and you end up with a lot of flaring.

    In some situations you get a lot of grain and noise, I actually preferred the consistency of my One X's camera. The white balance is all over the shop too, I took a low light HDR picture in a room where the light had an Orange hew to it, and it came out green!

    Like I say, its not a bad camera, but it doesn't really advance much (in some ways goes backwards!) on my old One X's camera, which is over 2years old now.

    I, like you, use my phone cam as a fill-in camera for when I'm not using my DSLR. A lot of comments from people go along the lines of "its just a phone, buy a DSLR if you want great pics" but they are wholly missing the point.

    Re: megapixels, I don't really care for ridiculous image sizes, and usually set my phone to take lower res pics for this reason, so 4MP is fine. Although in some landscape pics it would be nice to have a higher res so you can zoom into the pic more.
    Many in this post and many other posts are saying just the opposite of what you're saying, your comment sounds like the many comments you can see in internet reviews. Actual M8 users tend to disagree with you, including myself. Many posts about the M8 cameras have been made with the same tag line and many ACTUAL M8 owners have responded that they think the camera is great and have taken great pictures. I know I have taken many awesome pictures and I really don't see where this camera struggles with complex lighting any more than any other camera, DSLR or otherwise! No camera can see light like your actual eyeballs, so every single camera made will be flawed. The more you pay, the closer they get to being able to see like a human, but at this point no camera has the ability to manage very complex lighting....I just wish people would stop singling out the M8 as the ONLY flagship smartphone that has trouble with complex lighting. It's just untrue! It it's very light sensitive, which gives it numerous advantages in certain lighting scenarios. What i will admit is that the M8s center weighted metering, needs a larger metered area. The HDR mode tends to work quite well on the M8. It's a big improvement over the M7. And, when it comes to picture quality, it kills the ONE X and EVO LTE variants. KILLS!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Skyway and ugxvibe like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What is the best tablet size?
    By Billy95Tech in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 07:05 PM
  2. Help! Internet is no longer working on my Note 10.1 2014 tablet
    By xazilizax in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 03:16 AM
  3. What is the most data that you have used in a day?
    By dpham00 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 07:42 PM
  4. [GAME] Guess The Picture *Junior*
    By Kermagod in forum Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 09:18 AM
  5. Samsung Z with Tizen O.S is Samsung dumping Android?
    By TizenGears in forum Samsung SAFE and KNOX
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 06:36 AM

Posting Permissions